* Notes reviews with sparse trees
@ 2011-01-25  6:00 Giorgio Valoti
From: Giorgio Valoti @ 2011-01-25  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,
since I started using Org I collected a bunch of notes in a journal file and I’d like to review them on a regular schedule. Ideally, I’d like to mark a given entry with a review timestamp so I can skip it the next I review the journal file and then use a sparse tree to see only the notes that I haven’t reviewed in a while.

The problem is that I can’t get a sparse tree using these timestamps because it works only with deadlines and schedules. Does anybody know how to work around this limitation, short of using a regexp?

Thank you in advance
--
Giorgio Valoti

* Re: Notes reviews with sparse trees
@ 2011-01-25  8:05 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-01-25  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgio Valoti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 7:00 AM, Giorgio Valoti <giorgio_v@me.com> wrote:
> The problem is that I can’t get a sparse tree using these timestamps because it works only with deadlines and schedules. Does anybody know how to work around this limitation, short of using a regexp?

Well my suggestions is with using regexps, not what you asked. In any
org buffer look at this variable:

org-deadline-time-regexp is a variable defined in `org.el'.
Its value is "\\<DEADLINE: *<\\([^>]+\\)>"
Local in buffer notes.org; global value is nil

  Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.

Documentation:
Matches the DEADLINE keyword together with a time stamp.

Now you could put your time stamps with a special tag, say "LAST:".
You can choose to add it as keyword and fontify with the same face as
DEADLINE, org-special-keyword-face. Then you can write your own defun
using org-sparse-tree and a regex based on the above which uses the
LAST: keyword to find the time stamps just like DEADLINEs. Does that
work for you?

--
Suvayu

* Re: Notes reviews with sparse trees
@ 2011-01-25 16:09   ` Giorgio Valoti
From: Giorgio Valoti @ 2011-01-25 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Il giorno 25/gen/2011, alle ore 09.05, suvayu ali ha scritto:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 7:00 AM, Giorgio Valoti <giorgio_v@me.com> wrote:
>> The problem is that I can’t get a sparse tree using these timestamps because it works only with deadlines and schedules. Does anybody know how to work around this limitation, short of using a regexp?
>
> Well my suggestions is with using regexps, not what you asked. In any
> org buffer look at this variable:
>

> org-deadline-time-regexp is a variable defined in `org.el'.
> Its value is "\\<DEADLINE: *<\\([^>]+\\)>"
> Local in buffer notes.org; global value is nil
>
>  Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
>
> Documentation:
> Matches the DEADLINE keyword together with a time stamp.
>

> Now you could put your time stamps with a special tag, say "LAST:".
> You can choose to add it as keyword and fontify with the same face as
> DEADLINE, org-special-keyword-face. Then you can write your own defun
> using org-sparse-tree and a regex based on the above which uses the
> LAST: keyword to find the time stamps just like DEADLINEs. Does that
> work for you?

I didn’t think about using custom functions but it should work.

Thank you a lot.

--

@ 2011-01-27 18:32 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-01-27 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgio Valoti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Giorgio Valoti <giorgio_v@me.com> writes:

> since I started using Org I collected a bunch of notes in a journal
> file and I’d like to review them on a regular schedule. Ideally, I’d
> like to mark a given entry with a review timestamp so I can skip it
> the next I review the journal file and then use a sparse tree to see
> only the notes that I haven’t reviewed in a while.
>
> The problem is that I can’t get a sparse tree using these timestamps
> because it works only with deadlines and schedules. Does anybody know
> how to work around this limitation, short of using a regexp?

You can use tags/property matches for this.

For all inactive timestamps more than two weeks in the past:

C-c / m TIMESTAMP_IA<"<-2w>"

The same for all active timestamps:

C-c / m TIMESTAMP<"<-2w>"

For inactive timestamps, more than one week old and less than two weeks
old:

C-c / m TIMESTAMP_IA<"<-1w>"+TIMESTAMP_IA>"<-2w>"

For today's timestamps:

C-c / m TIMESTAMP="<today>"

And so on...

Please see the following for more details:

(info "(org) Matching tags and properties")
(info "(org) Special properties")

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/advanced-searching.html#special-properties

Best,
Matt

* Re: Re: Notes reviews with sparse trees
@ 2011-01-28  5:31   ` Giorgio Valoti
From: Giorgio Valoti @ 2011-01-28  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Il giorno 27/gen/2011, alle ore 19.32, Matt Lundin ha scritto:

> Giorgio Valoti <giorgio_v@me.com> writes:
>
>> since I started using Org I collected a bunch of notes in a journal
>> file and I’d like to review them on a regular schedule. Ideally, I’d
>> like to mark a given entry with a review timestamp so I can skip it
>> the next I review the journal file and then use a sparse tree to see
>> only the notes that I haven’t reviewed in a while.
>>
>> The problem is that I can’t get a sparse tree using these timestamps
>> because it works only with deadlines and schedules. Does anybody know
>> how to work around this limitation, short of using a regexp?
>
> You can use tags/property matches for this.
>
> For all inactive timestamps more than two weeks in the past:
>
> C-c / m TIMESTAMP_IA<"<-2w>"

That’s perfect!

> […]
>
> And so on...
>
> Please see the following for more details:
>
> (info "(org) Matching tags and properties")
> (info "(org) Special properties")
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/advanced-searching.html#special-properties

Thank you, Matt.

--