* Unable to select source code blocks
@ 2011-02-15  7:11 Giorgio Valoti
From: Giorgio Valoti @ 2011-02-15  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,
I don’t know if I’m missing something but I can’t get the org-babel-goto-named-src-block to work. When I invoke it on the sample file below the autocompletion shows nil and nothing else and if insert the source code block name I get a no match. I’m using org 7.4 with Emacs 23.2.

* Source code navigation test
  #+srcname: test
  #+begin_src sh
    echo 'hello world'
  #+end_src

  #+results: test
  : hello world
* Another item, another source code block
  #+srcname: test2
  #+begin_src sh
    echo 'ciao mondo'
  #+end_src

  #+results: test2
  : ciao mondo
* and so on

Thank you in advance
--
Giorgio Valoti

* Re: Unable to select source code blocks
@ 2011-02-21 11:51 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-21 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgio Valoti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Giorgio Valoti <giorgio_v@me.com> writes:

> Hi,

> I don’t know if I’m missing something but I can’t get the
> org-babel-goto-named-src-block to work. When I invoke it on the sample
> file below the autocompletion shows nil and nothing else and if insert
> the source code block name I get a no match. I’m using org 7.4 with
> Emacs 23.2.
>
> * Source code navigation test
>   #+srcname: test
>   #+begin_src sh
>     echo 'hello world'
>   #+end_src
>
>   #+results: test
>   : hello world
> * Another item, another source code block
>   #+srcname: test2
>   #+begin_src sh
>     echo 'ciao mondo'
>   #+end_src
>
>   #+results: test2
>   : ciao mondo
> * and so on
>
> Thank you in advance
> --
> Giorgio Valoti

Giorgio,

this works just fine for me; I don't know what you mean by
autocompletion but I use ido-everywhere and both test and test2 appear
in the prompt for =org-babel-goto-named-src-block=.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.509.g99aa5)

* Re: Unable to select source code blocks
@ 2011-02-22  9:52   ` Giorgio Valoti
       [not found]     ` <8762sbfca5.fsf@ucl.ac.uk>
From: Giorgio Valoti @ 2011-02-22  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Il giorno 21/feb/2011, alle ore 12.51, Eric S Fraga ha scritto:

> Giorgio Valoti <giorgio_v@me.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>
>> I don’t know if I’m missing something but I can’t get the
>> org-babel-goto-named-src-block to work. When I invoke it on the sample
>> file below the autocompletion shows nil and nothing else and if insert
>> the source code block name I get a no match. I’m using org 7.4 with
>> Emacs 23.2.
>>
>> * Source code navigation test
>>  #+srcname: test
>>  #+begin_src sh
>>    echo 'hello world'
>>  #+end_src
>>
>>  #+results: test
>>  : hello world
>> * Another item, another source code block
>>  #+srcname: test2
>>  #+begin_src sh
>>    echo 'ciao mondo'
>>  #+end_src
>>
>>  #+results: test2
>>  : ciao mondo
>> * and so on
>>
>> Thank you in advance
>> --
>> Giorgio Valoti
>
> Giorgio,
>
> this works just fine for me; I don't know what you mean by
> autocompletion but I use ido-everywhere and both test and test2 appear
> in the prompt for =org-babel-goto-named-src-block=.

Hi Eric,
I don’t use ido-mode (maybe I should? Seems cool!). By autocomplete I meant tab completion.

--

@ 2011-02-25 17:42       ` Giorgio Valoti
From: Giorgio Valoti @ 2011-02-25 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Il giorno 23/feb/2011, alle ore 08.19, Eric S Fraga ha scritto:

>>> […]

>>> this works just fine for me; I don't know what you mean by
>>> autocompletion but I use ido-everywhere and both test and test2 appear
>>> in the prompt for =org-babel-goto-named-src-block=.
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>> I don’t use ido-mode (maybe I should? Seems cool!). By autocomplete I meant tab completion.
>
> Right.  I'm surprised that autocompletion doesn't work; if ido can find
> the possible entries, autocompletion should also be able to, I would
> have thought.
>
> Maybe somebody else can chime in, somebody that doesn't use ido?
>
> I do recommend ido in any case!

The problem doesn’t seem related to the autocomplete system, it’s the org-babel-src-block-names function that returns an empty list. I don’t know why, the org-babel-src-name-w-name-regexp used by that function seems ok at a cursory look.

Ciao
--

@ 2011-02-26  0:08         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-02-26  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgio Valoti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Giorgio Valoti <giorgio_v@me.com> writes:

>>> Hi Eric,
>>> I don’t use ido-mode (maybe I should? Seems cool!). By autocomplete I meant tab completion.
>>
>> Right.  I'm surprised that autocompletion doesn't work; if ido can find
>> the possible entries, autocompletion should also be able to, I would
>> have thought.
>>
>> Maybe somebody else can chime in, somebody that doesn't use ido?
>>
>> I do recommend ido in any case!
>
> The problem doesn’t seem related to the autocomplete system, it’s the
> org-babel-src-block-names function that returns an empty list. I don’t
> know why, the org-babel-src-name-w-name-regexp used by that function
> seems ok at a cursory look.

Could you attach a small file with named code blocks which aren't caught
by this function?  I just ran the following in by file of scraps of
code examples and got 60 names returned

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (length (org-babel-src-block-names))
#+end_src

Thanks -- Eric

* Re: Unable to select source code blocks
@ 2011-02-26  8:39           ` Giorgio Valoti
From: Giorgio Valoti @ 2011-02-26  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Il giorno 26/feb/2011, alle ore 01.08, Eric Schulte ha scritto:

>>> […]
>>
>> The problem doesn’t seem related to the autocomplete system, it’s the
>> org-babel-src-block-names function that returns an empty list. I don’t
>> know why, the org-babel-src-name-w-name-regexp used by that function
>> seems ok at a cursory look.
>>

> Could you attach a small file with named code blocks which aren't caught
> by this function?  I just ran the following in by file of scraps of
> code examples and got 60 names returned
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>  (length (org-babel-src-block-names))
> #+end_src

How embarrassing! I used this

  #+begin_src emacs-lisp
 (org-babel-src-block-names)
  #+end_src

which returns nil or so I thought. I was expecting to see the list of source blocks in the results.

Using your snippet on the same file:

  #+begin_src emacs-lisp
 (length (org-babel-src-block-names))
  #+end_src

  #+results:
  : 19

However, using eval-last-sexp I get a list with nil items. Is it correct?

Ciao
--

@ 2011-02-26 16:05             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-02-26 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgio Valoti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Giorgio Valoti <giorgio_v@me.com> writes:

>>> The problem doesn’t seem related to the autocomplete system, it’s the
>>> org-babel-src-block-names function that returns an empty list. I don’t
>>> know why, the org-babel-src-name-w-name-regexp used by that function
>>> seems ok at a cursory look.
>>>

>> Could you attach a small file with named code blocks which aren't caught
>> by this function?  I just ran the following in by file of scraps of
>> code examples and got 60 names returned
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>>  (length (org-babel-src-block-names))
>> #+end_src
>
> How embarrassing! I used this
>
>   #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>  (org-babel-src-block-names)
>   #+end_src

Hm this should work as well...

> which returns nil or so I thought. I was expecting to see the list of
> source blocks in the results.
>
> Using your snippet on the same file:
>
>   #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>  (length (org-babel-src-block-names))
>   #+end_src
>
>   #+results:
>   : 19
>
> However, using eval-last-sexp I get a list with nil items. Is it correct?

That is weird, this should result in the insertion of an Org-mode list
containing the names of the named code blocks in your file.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results list
 (org-babel-src-block-names)
#+end_src

If not, then I'm not sure what exactly is being returned by
`org-babel-src-block-names' on your system -- it should be a list of
strings.

You could also try executing the function directly by calling
`eval-expression' M-: (org-babel-src-block-names) within the Org-mode
buffer.

also, make sure you have the latest version of Org-mode.

Best -- Eric

@ 2011-02-26 21:03               ` Giorgio Valoti
From: Giorgio Valoti @ 2011-02-26 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Il giorno 26/feb/2011, alle ore 17:05, Eric Schulte ha scritto:

> […]
>
> You could also try executing the function directly by calling
> `eval-expression' M-: (org-babel-src-block-names) within the Org-mode
> buffer.

I get the same results.

> also, make sure you have the latest version of Org-mode.

I’m using version 7.4 with emacs 23.2. Do you think I should use the development version? I’d have no problem using it but Org has become such an important tool (my thanks to all the contributors, btw!) that I’m reluctant switching to a non-official version.

Grazie
--

@ 2011-02-27 19:53                 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-02-27 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgio Valoti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Giorgio Valoti <giorgio_v@me.com> writes:

> Il giorno 26/feb/2011, alle ore 17:05, Eric Schulte ha scritto:
>
>> […]
>>
>> You could also try executing the function directly by calling
>> `eval-expression' M-: (org-babel-src-block-names) within the Org-mode
>> buffer.
>
> I get the same results.

as I understand it, on your system

  (length (org-babel-src-block-names)) ; => 19

yet

  (org-babel-src-block-names) ; => nil

which seems to be a contradiction.

>> also, make sure you have the latest version of Org-mode.
>
> I’m using version 7.4 with emacs 23.2. Do you think I should use the
> development version? I’d have no problem using it but Org has become
> such an important tool (my thanks to all the contributors, btw!) that
> I’m reluctant switching to a non-official version.

Yes, it may well be safer to stay at the org-mode release, however I can
only actively confirm behavior on the leading head of the org-mode
development release, as that is what I have installed.

Sorry I can't be of more help, there should be another release in the
not too distant future...

Best -- Eric