* missing autoload cookies for defcustom?
@ 2011-10-09 15:20 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-10-09 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

While playing aroud with different configurations I've noticed that you
can't customize some variables unless you've loaded org first and then
used a function from the file where they are defined.  It's of course a
bit difficult to know which function to use or file to load when all you
want to do is customizing a variable that you've read about in the
manual or on Worg.

It seems that all defcustom forms that are not defined in org.el (and
maybe even those) should get an autoload cookie so that they are
collected into org-install.el and Emacs knows where to find them even if
their source file had not been loaded yet.  The following perl
invocation fixes all occurences of defcustom that aren't already having
an autoload cookie set.

perl -i -p \
-e 'BEGIN{$o=0;}' \
-e 'if ( /^\s*\(defcustom/ ) {' \
-e '  print ";;;###autoload\n" unless $o;' \
-e '} else {' \
-e '  $o=/^;;;###autoload/;' \
-e '}' \
lisp/*.el

(the \s* in the regex is for a mis-indented item in org-feed.el)

This should produce the following diffstat on current master:

 lisp/ob-exp.el          |    1 +
 lisp/ob-js.el           |    1 +
 lisp/ob-lisp.el         |    1 +
 lisp/ob-lob.el          |    1 +
 lisp/ob-plantuml.el     |    1 +
 lisp/ob-scheme.el       |    1 +
 lisp/ob-sh.el           |    1 +
 lisp/ob-tangle.el       |    6 ++
 lisp/ob.el              |    2 +
 lisp/org-agenda.el      |   94 +++++++++++++++++++++
 lisp/org-archive.el     |    7 ++
 lisp/org-ascii.el       |    5 +
 lisp/org-attach.el      |    7 ++
 lisp/org-bbdb.el        |    4 +
 lisp/org-beamer.el      |    9 ++
 lisp/org-bibtex.el      |    9 ++
 lisp/org-capture.el     |    3 +
 lisp/org-clock.el       |   26 ++++++
 lisp/org-crypt.el       |    3 +
 lisp/org-ctags.el       |    3 +
 lisp/org-docbook.el     |   16 ++++
 lisp/org-entities.el    |    2 +
 lisp/org-exp-blocks.el  |    4 +
 lisp/org-exp.el         |   43 ++++++++++
 lisp/org-faces.el       |    8 ++
 lisp/org-feed.el        |    7 ++
 lisp/org-footnote.el    |    6 ++
 lisp/org-freemind.el    |    2 +
 lisp/org-gnus.el        |    2 +
 lisp/org-habit.el       |    7 ++
 lisp/org-html.el        |   35 ++++++++
 lisp/org-icalendar.el   |   16 ++++
 lisp/org-id.el          |    8 ++
 lisp/org-indent.el      |    4 +
 lisp/org-inlinetask.el  |    3 +
 lisp/org-jsinfo.el      |    3 +
 lisp/org-latex.el       |   37 +++++++++
 lisp/org-list.el        |   14 +++
 lisp/org-mac-message.el |    1 +
 lisp/org-mew.el         |    1 +
 lisp/org-mhe.el         |    1 +
 lisp/org-mobile.el      |   13 +++
 lisp/org-mouse.el       |    2 +
 lisp/org-protocol.el    |    4 +
 lisp/org-publish.el     |   11 +++
 lisp/org-remember.el    |   10 +++
 lisp/org-src.el         |    9 ++
 lisp/org-table.el       |   21 +++++
 lisp/org-taskjuggler.el |    8 ++
 lisp/org-timer.el       |    2 +
 lisp/org-wl.el          |    6 ++
 lisp/org.el             |  207 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is obviously quite heavy-handed and there is vocal opposition among
the Emacs maintainers towards autoloading defcustoms.  While I partly
understand their rationale, I don't think it applies to org-mode (these
autoloads only become effective when org-install is loaded).  Also, I
don't really see what the alternative should be, unless all those
defcustoms would be moved into separate files that would then be
required by org-install (I'm not suggesting to do that, BTW).  Also it
appears that there is no way to autoload a defgroup form, so that one
would need to be handled in a different way, maybe by moving all
defgroups into org.el.  Thoughts?

Regards,
Achim.