Nick Dokos writes: >There have been a couple of recent reports on this problem (headlines >with just a timestamp cause this error) in addition to the ones you >found: > > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/52621 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/52786 > >The first one contains a diagnosis and a (possibly wrong) suggested fix. Thank you, Nick. I eventually found the same cause, by doing a binary-search reduction of the problematic .org file until I knew exactly which headline was the source of the problem. It was a second-level headline with a date but no content... ** <2012-02-27 Mon> ...as described in James Atwood's mail (the second one you list above). It's relevant that the line ends immediately after the ">". If there is even one space after the ">", then the bug does not reproduce. This makes sense, given the code. I have a tentative patch, which is attached. What's the typical way to submit such things for review?