* Compose emails in ogr, but send them via thunderbird?
@ 2012-04-03  8:09 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-04-03  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Compose emails in ogr, but send them via thunderbird?
@ 2012-04-03  9:29 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2012-04-03  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer,

> So my question is: is it possible to write emails in org and then sent
> them (a subtree) to
> thunderbird for sending / adding addresses / signing with pgp?

I don't know about the subtree.  But there is an extension¹ for this
purpose.  It comes with its own mode, but I am sure you could have it
load Org, or alternatively just the org-like minor modes

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'turn-on-orgtbl)
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'turn-on-orgstruct)
#+end_src

(replace the mode with something appropriate).

The problem with this setup is that it relies on tmp files, so you would
not have a grand org file of All-Thing-Sent.

> I know - I could do all this in emacs, but absolutely no time at the
> moment.

It is not that hardᵗᵐ. but could be time consuming.  So, yeah, probably
stick to TB for now.  But, if time permits is it really quite nice (I
use the Gnus).

–Rasmus

Footnotes:
¹  http://globs.org/articles.php?pg=2&lng=en

--
And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice
is no virtue

* Re: Compose emails in ogr, but send them via thunderbird?
@ 2012-04-03  9:36   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2012-04-03  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> ¹  http://globs.org/articles.php?pg=2&lng=en

You might also be able to work something out with Keysnail, which, at
least in Fx, can also call external editors (Emacs, mostly)

   https://github.com/mooz/keysnail/wiki

–Rasmus

--
Send from my Emacs

* Re: Compose emails in ogr, but send them via thunderbird?
@ 2012-04-03 13:31   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-04-03 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 03/04/12 11:29, Rasmus wrote:

> Rainer,
>
>> So my question is: is it possible to write emails in org and then sent them (a subtree) to
>> thunderbird for sending / adding addresses / signing with pgp?
>
> I don't know about the subtree.  But there is an extension¹ for this purpose.  It comes with
> its own mode, but I am sure you could have it load Org, or alternatively just the org-like
> minor modes

Looks nice - I'll check it out.

> #+begin_src emacs-lisp (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'turn-on-orgtbl) (add-hook
> 'message-mode-hook 'turn-on-orgstruct) #+end_src
>
> (replace the mode with something appropriate).
>
> The problem with this setup is that it relies on tmp files, so you would not have a grand org
> file of All-Thing-Sent.

True - and that is one thing which I would have liked to do - well - I'll give that extension a try.

>> I know - I could do all this in emacs, but absolutely no time at the moment.
>
> It is not that hardᵗᵐ. but could be time consuming.  So, yeah, probably stick to TB for now.
> But, if time permits is it really quite nice (I use the Gnus).

Well - I should try it - I know....

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

> –Rasmus
>

> Footnotes: ¹  http://globs.org/articles.php?pg=2&lng=en

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Compose emails in ogr, but send them via thunderbird?
@ 2012-04-03 13:34     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-04-03 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Compose emails in ogr, but send them via thunderbird?
@ 2012-04-04  2:05       ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2012-04-04  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rasmus

Hi Rainer,

Hmm interstingly I working on exact the same task.... I want to get
rid of Thunderbird because its troubling me to much, but I can't find
an easy drop-in replacement.
Recently, I got notmuch running after giving up on gnus for the third
or fourth time, because I never found enough time to come into it.
Unfortunately, I find the notmuch thread buffers rather confusing and
would be very happy if a little org-mode magic would move into it.

Nevertheless notmuch allows you to write emails too. What you have to
do is to set-up the smtp server to sent your mails. That can be either
a pointer to an existing smtp server (like gmail) or a own server. A
own server might be nice but requires some fiddling and hence I
decided to use msmtp [1].
It requires only a very small config file with the credentials and
settings for each smtp (email) account. Mostly what you are used to
type into thunderbird too.
In my emacs init files I added

/--------------------------------init_notmuch.el---------------------------------------/
;;///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
;; notmuch and smtp settings
;;//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

(require 'notmuch)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
;; we substitute sendmail with msmtp
(setq sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp")
;;need to tell msmtp which account we're using
(setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "gmail"))
;; integrate with org-mode
(require 'org-notmuch)
(require 'notmuch-address)
(setq notmuch-address-command "/home/torsten/mails/get_address.sh")
(notmuch-address-message-insinuate)
/--------------------------------init-notmuch.el---------------------------------------------------/

get_address.sh is a little shell script which enables to access the
googlemail contact list and you will get auto completion.

/----------------------get_address.sh-------------------------/
#!/bin/sh
goobook query "$*" | sed 's/\(.*\)\t\(.*\)\t.*/\2 \<\1\>/' | sed '/^$/d'
/---------------------get_address.sh------------------------/

details about this can be found on the notmuch website.

Being in a notmuch buffer pressing 'm' opens a new buffer with a empty
template in Message mode
Fill it and C-c C-C will send the mail out.
It should appear in notmuch later and if you did your
filtering/tagging right you can file it under sent.
From there it should be pretty easy to link to an org-mode file.

Again I would like to see notmuch using more org-mode magic to get a
more clean representation of mails and esp. threads.
Some more hooks like automatic linking to notmuch emails in org-mode
buffers and creating of emails directly from org-mode buffers would be
nice and I guess its rather easy to implement. (E.g., a single command
to create a new mail and generating a org-mode link to that email in
notmuch, at the current position in a org-mode buffer would be very
nice).

Hope that helps

[1] http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/

@ 2012-04-05  9:33         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-04-05  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rasmus

On 04/04/12 04:05, Torsten Wagner wrote:
> [...]
>
> details about this can be found on the notmuch website.
>
> Being in a notmuch buffer pressing 'm' opens a new buffer with a empty template in Message
> mode Fill it and C-c C-C will send the mail out. It should appear in notmuch later and if you
> did your filtering/tagging right you can file it under sent. From there it should be pretty
> easy to link to an org-mode file.
>

> Again I would like to see notmuch using more org-mode magic to get a more clean representation
> of mails and esp. threads. Some more hooks like automatic linking to notmuch emails in
> org-mode buffers and creating of emails directly from org-mode buffers would be nice and I
> guess its rather easy to implement. (E.g., a single command to create a new mail and generating
> a org-mode link to that email in notmuch, at the current position in a org-mode buffer would be

Hi Torsten,

id definitely does. I have implemented it and am playing at the moment with the "external editor"
(combined with the "message-mode" and the get_address.sh script) and it looks quite nice at the
moment.

I think I will tackle the rest later.

Cheers,

Rainer

> [1] http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/

> Also interesting - nice. Cheers,
>
> Rainer

- --

@ 2012-04-05 14:42           ` Martin Pohlack
From: Martin Pohlack @ 2012-04-05 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rasmus

On 05.04.2012 11:33, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> id definitely does. I have implemented it and am playing at the moment with the "external editor"
> (combined with the "message-mode" and the get_address.sh script) and it looks quite nice at the
> moment.

Here is a link to external editor:
* http://globs.org/articles.php?lng=en&pg=2

Here is a link to a small mode that I use for composing email in emacs
that I later send with thunderbird:
* http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~mp26/download/tbemail.el

HTH,
Martin