* texinfo back-end won't export to INFO
@ 2012-11-12  8:47 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-11-12  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha all,

Export to INFO fails to produce an output file.

Export to TEXI works.  Running makeinfo on the texi file yields errors
like this:

/Users/dk/org/orgmanual//orgmanual.texi:171: `Exporting' has no Up field
(perhaps incorrect sectioning?).

If I run the texi file through (texinfo-all-menus-update), then makeinfo
runs without error and produces an info file.

Perhaps this step should be added to the texinfo back-end?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: texinfo back-end won't export to INFO
@ 2012-12-18 17:25 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-18 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Thomas,

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Export to INFO fails to produce an output file.
>
> Export to TEXI works.  Running makeinfo on the texi file yields errors
> like this:
>
> /Users/dk/org/orgmanual//orgmanual.texi:171: `Exporting' has no Up field
> (perhaps incorrect sectioning?).
>
> If I run the texi file through (texinfo-all-menus-update), then makeinfo
> runs without error and produces an info file.
>
> Perhaps this step should be added to the texinfo back-end?

I think this calls for a new variable `org-export-after-rendering-hook'
which will operate after the final stage of the export process, in the
export buffer.  Filters are fine but their complexity is not useful here.

Then we could add 'texinfo-all-menus-update to this hook.

Nicolas, what do you think?

--
 Bastien

* Re: texinfo back-end won't export to INFO
@ 2012-12-18 18:19   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-12-18 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org-mode

Aloha Bastien,

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> Export to INFO fails to produce an output file.
>>
>> Export to TEXI works.  Running makeinfo on the texi file yields errors
>> like this:
>>
>> /Users/dk/org/orgmanual//orgmanual.texi:171: `Exporting' has no Up field
>> (perhaps incorrect sectioning?).
>>
>> If I run the texi file through (texinfo-all-menus-update), then makeinfo
>> runs without error and produces an info file.
>>
>> Perhaps this step should be added to the texinfo back-end?
>
> I think this calls for a new variable `org-export-after-rendering-hook'
> which will operate after the final stage of the export process, in the
> export buffer.  Filters are fine but their complexity is not useful here.
>
> Then we could add 'texinfo-all-menus-update to this hook.
>
> Nicolas, what do you think?

IIUC, Jonathan Leeche-Pepin fixed this in org-e-texinfo.el a while back.

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

@ 2012-12-18 18:20   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-12-18 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org-mode, Thomas S. Dye

Hello,

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> I think this calls for a new variable `org-export-after-rendering-hook'
> which will operate after the final stage of the export process, in the
> export buffer.  Filters are fine but their complexity is not useful here.
>
> Then we could add 'texinfo-all-menus-update to this hook.
>
> Nicolas, what do you think?

There is no such thing as an "export buffer" in the new exporter,
`org-export-as' produces a string.

Though, there is `org-export-filter-final-output-functions', which will
operate on the last string produced by `org-export-as'. You may create
a function that will insert that string in a buffer, apply
`texinfo-all-menus-update' and call `buffer-string', and add it to that
filter set.

Note that complexity of filters is the same as hook: you add functions
to a list. A filter function requires three arguments.

Nicolas Goaziou

* org-export-after-rendering-hook for the new exporter? (was: texinfo back-end won't export to INFO)
@ 2012-12-18 18:52     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-18 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Thomas,

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> IIUC, Jonathan Leeche-Pepin fixed this in org-e-texinfo.el a while back.

So let me open a new thread for this possible hook.

Nicolas, what do you think of having `org-export-after-rendering-hook'
as a simple access for applying global changes on the export buffer?

Does the filter mechanism is simple enough to make this completely
useless?

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: texinfo back-end won't export to INFO
@ 2012-12-18 18:55     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-18 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-mode, Thomas S. Dye

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Note that complexity of filters is the same as hook: you add functions
> to a list.

Okay... thanks for the explanations.

> A filter function requires three arguments.

... so that's where complexity comes from.  I'm afraid you'll just
scare away many users with these three arguments.

What do you think?

--
 Bastien

* Re: texinfo back-end won't export to INFO
@ 2012-12-18 20:24       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-12-18 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org-mode, Thomas S. Dye

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>> A filter function requires three arguments.
>
> ... so that's where complexity comes from.  I'm afraid you'll just
> scare away many users with these three arguments.
>
> What do you think?

Using a hook or a filter requires to write a function in most cases.
I don't think that a person able to write such a function would cringe
in front of a function of three arguments (you don't even have to use
them all).

Filters are applied on something (often a string). That something is the
first argument. Also, filters are probably very dependant on the
back-end used. That is the second argument. Eventually, it may be useful
to know which options were active at the time of export. This is the
third argument.

I can remove the last argument, bringing down the sum of arguments to 2.
Should I?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: texinfo back-end won't export to INFO
@ 2012-12-18 21:54         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-18 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-mode, Thomas S. Dye

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> I can remove the last argument, bringing down the sum of arguments to 2.
> Should I?

No, i think it's good to have such flexible filters.

Let's see if users request a simple generic after-export
(or before-saving-file) hook.

 Bastien