* Changing the maintainer
@ 2013-04-18 22:07 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-04-18 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org list

Hello everyone,

as Bastien has written in a related thread, the current idea
is that I will take over the maintainership of Org-mode
once more.  I have seen no objections so far, so I am assuming
that we should go ahead with this plan.

Let me start by extending my (and I am sure, everyones)
gratitude to Bastien.  I think he has done an incredible
job over the last two years, keeping Org-mode on course
and also supporting significant changes that we have seen
with the release of version 8.0.

Bastien's activity has been unmatched.  He has answered
a huge amount of questions in the mailing list, fixed an
uncounted number of bugs and he has been designing and applying
changes over the entire breadth of the Org code base.  This
is no easy feat and I really admire his work.  Besides this,
he has done amazing work keeping the community together and
making sure that the mailing list remains IMO one of the prime
places on the internet.

                 THANK YOU, Bastien.

I will leave the donations button on his name until the end of
April, so if you want to express your thanks to him in this
way, you have that possibility.  If not, writing to him and
expressing your amazement with his achievements in the
last two years will probably make him as happy.

One of the main things Bastien has done is to make space for
other developers, while making sure that the development
maintains a maximum of compatibility, usability and hackability.
It has taken a long time to get the new exporter into the
main stream, and I clearly think it was worth the wait.
We now have a complete set of exporters, immediately in the
first release that is based on the new parser and exporter
framework.  What Nicolas has achieved I still cannot fully
comprehend.  The exporter side of Org-mode was very usable,
but it was an unmaintainable mess, without clarity.  Now,
writing a new exporter has become extremely simple, everyone
can do it.  Due to the ingenious filter and inheritance
system, new exporters can be written with very little code.
Maintenance will be simple, since this is ONE parser,
one framework.

When I handed over the maintainership to Bastien two years
ago, I was worn down.  In the mean time, my life has not become
less full, and so this time around, I will make sure that the
project does not swallow me.  I hope very much that we as a
community can continue on the path Bastien has set, with a growing
number of people taking responsibility for specific parts of
Org.  I need to re-familiarize myself with many things, I am not
up to speed with some of the new developments, so I need to
study.  But when this is done, I will approach some of you and
ask for help, it would be great if some of you can say yes and
work with me.  I will see my own task mainly in removing
obstacles for everyone, and in coordinating releases.  I also
have coding ideas and plans, but those will have second priority.
I am really glad that Bastien has promised to stick around, and
he will still lead the round of fixes that usually follow
after a major release.

I am looking forward to again interact more with you all.

Cheers

- Carsten

* Re: Changing the maintainer
@ 2013-04-19  1:16 ` Mike McLean
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Mike McLean @ 2013-04-19  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: bastien.guerry, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org List

On Apr 18, 2013, at 6:07 PM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will leave the donations button on his name until the end of
> April, so if you want to express your thanks to him in this
> way, you have that possibility.  If not, writing to him and
> expressing your amazement with his achievements in the
> last two years will probably make him as happy.

Bastien - I have not contributed any where near as much as I would have liked to over the past few year (especially given what I “get out” of Org mode and the exporters). I hope my small donation in some way makes up for it. I do know that every time I found something “odd” it was always difficult and took me a bunch of time to even get a reasonable ECM and despite that you seemed to always get to the heart of the problem and quickly push a fix.

Thank YOU!

* Re: Changing the maintainer
@ 2013-04-19  4:34 ` John Wiegley
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: John Wiegley @ 2013-04-19  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Bastien's activity has been unmatched.  He has answered a huge amount of
> questions in the mailing list, fixed an uncounted number of bugs and he has
> been designing and applying changes over the entire breadth of the Org code
> base.  This is no easy feat and I really admire his work.  Besides this, he
> has done amazing work keeping the community together and making sure that
> the mailing list remains IMO one of the prime places on the internet.

Couldn't agree more.  Thank you so much, Bastien!  And to everyone who has
helped to keep Org-mode one of Emacs' "killer apps" for several years running.

John

* Re: Changing the maintainer
@ 2013-04-19  7:21 ` Christian Moe
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Christian Moe @ 2013-04-19  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org list

Welcome back!

Yours,
Christian

Carsten Dominik writes:

> [...]
> project does not swallow me.  I hope very much that we as a
> community can continue on the path Bastien has set, with a growing
> number of people taking responsibility for specific parts of
> Org.  I need to re-familiarize myself with many things, I am not
> up to speed with some of the new developments, so I need to
> study.  But when this is done, I will approach some of you and
> ask for help, it would be great if some of you can say yes and
> work with me.  I will see my own task mainly in removing
> obstacles for everyone, and in coordinating releases.  I also
> have coding ideas and plans, but those will have second priority.
> I am really glad that Bastien has promised to stick around, and
> he will still lead the round of fixes that usually follow
> after a major release.
>
> I am looking forward to again interact more with you all.

* Re: Changing the maintainer
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-04-19  9:23 ` Leo Liu
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-04-19  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2013-04-19 06:07 +0800, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Bastien's activity has been unmatched.  He has answered
> a huge amount of questions in the mailing list, fixed an
> uncounted number of bugs and he has been designing and applying
> changes over the entire breadth of the Org code base.  This
> is no easy feat and I really admire his work.  Besides this,
> he has done amazing work keeping the community together and
> making sure that the mailing list remains IMO one of the prime
> places on the internet.

Kudos to Bastien for the tremendous contribution.

Leo

* Re: Changing the maintainer
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-04-20  1:33 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-04-20  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org list

Thank you to Bastien.

Welcome to Carsten.

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY
can get it.  There is NO hope without action.  This means YOU.

* Re: Changing the maintainer
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-04-23 11:38 ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-04-23 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks a lot to Bastien. I'm far from being able to fully appreciate the
work done and the hours it must have needed but from my end, Org-mode
and its development process is a very well-oiled machine, in no small
part thanks to its maintainer I would guess.

Welcome back Carsten.

Julien.

* Re: Changing the maintainer
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-04-23 13:52 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-23 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org list

Carsten,

welcome back!  I will try to help out when I can.

Bastien, many many thanks to you for all of your hard work the past two
years.

Org goes from strength to strength and it is very much an indispensable
part of my life these days.

Thanks again,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0.1-19-g9655a1