* links to files in a zip archive and inline images in zip archive
@ 2013-07-24  2:09 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2013-07-24  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am trying to make an org-mode zip archive. The idea is basically to zip
up the org-file, and the images it might refer to. What I would really like
is to be able to open the zip-file in emacs, and have the images shown
inline like they are when the archive is expanded.

I had no problem making the zip archive, and it opens fine in emacs. I can
read the org file fine, but there are no inline images, and the links to
the images do not work.

It might be ok if the links in the org-file would open the images, but they
do not do that either (I get cannot display image: cannot determine image
type and a blank screen).

Is this idea way off base? or is there a way to get it to work? I do not
have to stick with zip archives if another format would work well.

Thanks!

John

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: links to files in a zip archive and inline images in zip archive
@ 2013-07-24  8:50 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-07-24  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> I am trying to make an org-mode zip archive. The idea is basically to
> zip up the org-file, and the images it might refer to. What I would
> really like is to be able to open the zip-file in emacs, and have the
> images shown inline like they are when the archive is expanded.
>
> I had no problem making the zip archive, and it opens fine in emacs. I
> can read the org file fine, but there are no inline images, and the
> links to the images do not work.
>
> It might be ok if the links in the org-file would open the images, but
> they do not do that either (I get cannot display image: cannot
> determine image type and a blank screen).
>
> Is this idea way off base? or is there a way to get it to work? I do
> not have to stick with zip archives if another format would work well.

My guess is that your links use absolute paths. I had no problem doing
this with a file using relative paths and the following directory structure:

     tmp -- kitchin.org
         `- images -- foo.png

kitchin.org looks like this:

#+STARTUP: inlineimages

* foo

This  [[file:images/foo.png]] is an inline image.

and I zipped like this:

$ zip kitchin.zip kitchin.org images

I can then open the zip file, and open kitchin.org inside the zip file
with the inline image showing.
--
Nick