* bulk org-agenda-do-date-later problem OMG BACKTRACE ATTACHED
@ 2014-01-06  1:25 Douglas
From: Douglas @ 2014-01-06  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[Backtrace somehow was not making it into the sent email when pasted.]

To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Bug: org-agenda bulk org-agenda-do-date-later [8.2.5
(8.2.5-dist @ /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/)]
From: rocker <rocker@rocker.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>
--text follows this line--

Users and Devs,

The backtrace is attached.  I am trying to bulk push org-agenda entries
one day later in the agenda using org-agenda-do-date-later.  I'm trying
to change the timestamp of these tasks. I am not using "SCHEDULED:
[timestamp]".  .emacs has not been included due to an abundance of
personal information. org-agenda-files has been excised due to personal
information.

What I did:

1. Loaded the org-agenda using "C-c a a".
2. Set the view to day using "d".
3. Went to the day before yesterday (Jan 3, 2014) at the time (Jan 5,
2014) using "b".
4. Marked a done task (to test) for bulk action using "m".
5. Brought up the menu for bulk action using "B".
6. Selected the Function option using "f".
7. Typed "org-agenda-do-date-later" into the echo/evaluation buffer at
the bottom of the window and hit return.

I expected the marked task to be pushed one day later in the agenda to
January 4, 2014.  I expected what normally occurs when I press
S-<right>.  Instead a long error popped up in the echo buffer.  Nothing
happened in the agenda buffer.  The mark remained.

A similar bug would appear to have been documented before.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-12/msg00742.html

Sincerely,
Sample Hampton

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report? See

http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org-mode mailing list.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
  of 2013-03-12 on bob.porkrind.org
Package: Org-mode version 8.2.5 (8.2.5-dist @
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/)

current state:
==============
(setq
  org-tab-first-hook '(org-hide-block-toggle-maybe
org-src-native-tab-command-maybe
                       org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe
org-babel-header-arg-expand)
  org-speed-command-hook '(org-speed-command-default-hook
org-babel-speed-command-hook)
  org-occur-hook '(org-first-headline-recenter)
  org-metaup-hook '(org-babel-load-in-session-maybe)
  org-confirm-shell-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
  org-list-allow-alphabetical t
  org-after-todo-state-change-hook '(org-clock-out-if-current)
  org-capture-mode-hook '(delete-other-windows)
  org-from-is-user-regexp "\\<rocker\\>"
  org-src-mode-hook '(org-src-babel-configure-edit-buffer
org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer)
  org-agenda-before-write-hook '(org-agenda-add-entry-text)
  org-babel-pre-tangle-hook '(save-buffer)
  org-mode-hook '(#[nil "\300\301\302\303\304$\207"
                    [org-add-hook change-major-mode-hook
org-show-block-all append local] 5]
                  #[nil "\300\301\302\303\304$\207"
                    [org-add-hook change-major-mode-hook
org-babel-show-result-all append local]
                    5]
                  org-babel-result-hide-spec org-babel-hide-all-hashes)
  org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook '(org-babel-hash-at-point
org-babel-execute-safely-maybe)
  org-cycle-hook '(org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees org-cycle-hide-drawers
                   org-cycle-hide-inline-tasks org-cycle-show-empty-lines
                   org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change)
  org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "IN PROGRESS" "|" "DONE"
"CANCELLED"))
  org-babel-tangle-lang-exts '(("python" . "py") ("emacs-lisp" . "el"))
  org-confirm-elisp-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
  org-metadown-hook '(org-babel-pop-to-session-maybe)
  org-babel-load-languages '((sh . true) (python . true))
  org-agenda-files '(
//excised due to personal info
)
  org-clock-out-hook '(org-clock-remove-empty-clock-drawer)
  )

[-- Attachment #2: bulkorgagendadodatelater_backtrace-20140105 --]

* Re: bulk org-agenda-do-date-later problem OMG BACKTRACE ATTACHED
@ 2014-01-06  3:56 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-01-06  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Douglas <zaphod4007@aol.com> writes:

> The backtrace is attached.  I am trying to bulk push org-agenda entries one day later in the agenda using org-agenda-do-date-later.  I'm trying to change the timestamp of these
> tasks. I am not using "SCHEDULED: [timestamp]".  .emacs has not been included due to an abundance of personal information.  org-agenda-files has been excised due to personal
> information.
>
> What I did:
>
> 1. Loaded the org-agenda using "C-c a a".
> 2. Set the view to day using "d".
> 3. Went to the day before yesterday (Jan 3, 2014) at the time (Jan 5, 2014) using "b".
> 4. Marked a done task (to test) for bulk action using "m".
> 5. Brought up the menu for bulk action using "B".
> 6. Selected the Function option using "f".
> 7. Typed "org-agenda-do-date-later" into the echo/evaluation buffer at the bottom of the window and hit return.
>
> I expected the marked task to be pushed one day later in the agenda to January 4, 2014.  I expected what normally occurs when I press S-<right>.  Instead a long error popped up in
> the echo buffer.  Nothing happened in the agenda buffer.  The mark remained.

The probable reason the backtrace did not make it through the mail is
that it was produced using compiled code and so it contained binary
stuff (perhaps nul bytes) that confused the mailer. You should try to
produce backtraces using uncompiled code: they are much more informative
in general. Or you could elide the strings containing the binary stuff
as I have done below but that's less informative.

In this case, the backtrace is simple enough:

,----
| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-number-of-arguments #[(arg)
|   "..." [arg last-command this-command (16) (org-agenda-date-later-minutes org-agenda-date-earlier-minutes) org-agenda-date-later-minutes 1 (4) (org-agenda-date-later-hours org-agenda-date-earlier-hours) org-agenda-date-later-hours org-agenda-date-later prefix-numeric-value] 4 nil "P"] 0)
|   org-agenda-do-date-later()   <<< called with no argument
|   eval((org-agenda-do-date-later))
|   org-agenda-bulk-action(nil)
|   call-interactively(org-agenda-bulk-action nil nil)
`----

C-h f org-agenda-do-date-later RET says:

,----
| org-agenda-do-date-later is an interactive Lisp function in
| `org-agenda.el'.
|
| (org-agenda-do-date-later ARG)
|
| Not documented.
`----
                            ^^^

i.e. org-agenda-do-date-later takes a mandatory argument while you
called it with no argument. That's an error on your part, not a bug in
the code.  Try defining a helper function to do the appropriate
impedance matching:

(defun my-org-agend-do-one-day-later ()
       (interactive)
       (org-agenda-do-date-later 1))

and passing that as the function in the bulk action.

Untested and I'm not sure that 1 is the right value to pass.

--
Nick

* Re: bulk org-agenda-do-date-later problem OMG BACKTRACE ATTACHED
@ 2014-01-06  7:40   ` Douglas
From: Douglas @ 2014-01-06  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

That worked. Thanks for explaining that.  1 pushed the entry one day
forward, or to today if the entry was prior to yesterday.  I followed
the directions in Feedback, so I believe the backtrace was from
uncompiled code.  I don't know why it wasn't sending.

Douglas

@ 2014-01-06 12:13     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-01-06 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Douglas <zaphod4007@aol.com> writes:

> I followed the directions in Feedback, so I believe the backtrace was
> from uncompiled code.

Trust me, it wasn't. The Feedback section does not explain all of the details,
primarily because the details depend on how exactly you have installed
org-mode: there are many possibilities here, so the explanation would
get complicated fast. The idea however is that you have to delete all
the .elc files from wherever you are loading your org-mode and reload
org-mode.

--
Nick

* Re: bulk org-agenda-do-date-later problem OMG BACKTRACE ATTACHED
@ 2014-01-06 18:11       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-01-06 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos writes:
> The idea however is that you have to delete all
> the .elc files from wherever you are loading your org-mode and reload
> org-mode.

The easier way is to simply do either of:

C-u M-x org-reload
C-u C-c C-x !

The latter only works from an org-mode buffer.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: