* special status for state-log plain list elements?
@ 2014-06-10  3:10 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-10  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there any chance of building slightly on org-element's parsing of
plain-lists, so that it lists which represent state logs are somehow
noted as such? I'm imagining that `org-element-plain-list-parser' could
be augmented to provide a (:log t) property, or if we accept that
state-log lists are always unordered, the :type property could even just
be 'log.

For that it might be nice if list items knew if they were state-change
notes (State "WAIT" from "TODO", etc) or plain notes (Note taken on...
etc).

It's probably feature creep! But it would make some interesting things
easier. My most immediate use-case would be a function in the Agenda
which shows the most recent state log of the item under point. That way
you could see what an item was WAITing on, or what you're actually
supposed to do NEXT, and so on.

And, in the back of my head, I've always felt that Org should be able to
do arbitrary value logging -- sort of a generalization of org-clock.
That would be a project for a very rainy day indeed, but this would be a
bit of the groundwork done.

Anyway, let me know if this would be acceptable in principle (and to
what extent), and I can take a stab at a patch.

Eric

* Re: special status for state-log plain list elements?
@ 2014-06-10 19:58 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-06-10 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Is there any chance of building slightly on org-element's parsing of
> plain-lists, so that it lists which represent state logs are somehow
> noted as such? I'm imagining that `org-element-plain-list-parser' could
> be augmented to provide a (:log t) property, or if we accept that
> state-log lists are always unordered, the :type property could even just
> be 'log.

I don't think what is done with lists has much to do with their syntax.
Anyway, you can write a function to find such candidates, if needed,
without overloading the parser (for little benefit).

> For that it might be nice if list items knew if they were state-change
> notes (State "WAIT" from "TODO", etc) or plain notes (Note taken on...
> etc).

This is not really possible, unless you forbid users to arbitrary start
an item with "State "xxx" from "xxx"" or "Note taken on", i.e., you
bless them as parts of Org syntax. I wouldn't go that far.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: special status for state-log plain list elements?
@ 2014-06-11  1:54   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-11  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,

>> Is there any chance of building slightly on org-element's parsing of
>> plain-lists, so that it lists which represent state logs are somehow
>> noted as such? I'm imagining that `org-element-plain-list-parser' could
>> be augmented to provide a (:log t) property, or if we accept that
>> state-log lists are always unordered, the :type property could even just
>> be 'log.
>
> I don't think what is done with lists has much to do with their syntax.
> Anyway, you can write a function to find such candidates, if needed,
> without overloading the parser (for little benefit).
>
>> For that it might be nice if list items knew if they were state-change
>> notes (State "WAIT" from "TODO", etc) or plain notes (Note taken on...
>> etc).
>
> This is not really possible, unless you forbid users to arbitrary start
> an item with "State "xxx" from "xxx"" or "Note taken on", i.e., you
> bless them as parts of Org syntax. I wouldn't go that far.

Okay, I guess that was the main question I was asking. No worries, then!