From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Embedding diagrams in Org
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 12:23:14 +0100	[thread overview]

On 2015-02-18, at 20:37, Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:

> I also use tikz in my org files.  I just include a slightly more
> involved version of Eric's example to show some of the beauty of org.

OK, so I'm trying to understand it.  (One of the reasons is that it
doesn't work for me; somehow I couldn't get the svg export for inclusion
in HTML.  OTOH, conversion using pdf2svg does work for me (in LaTeX
files), so I want to learn how to utilize it for Org-mode.)

> This includes a caption for the diagram, and different output formats
> for different export routes.
>
> Best,
> Andreas

> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{tikz}
>
> * tikz example
>
> #+name: tikz_example
> #+header: :packages '(("" "tikz"))

What does the above line do exactly?

> #+header: :file (by-backend (latex "example_diagram.tikz") (html "example_diagram.svg") (t "example_diagram.png"))

The manual says that after :file I can have a string or a list of two
strings.  Does the above mean that it is in fact macroexpanded?  Do
I get it correctly that the (t "example_diagram.png") refers to manual
evaluation and not the evaluation during the export?

> #+header: :imagemagick yes :iminoptions -density 600 :imoutoptions -geometry 800
> #+header: :results file raw
> #+header: :fit yes
> #+begin_src latex
>   \begin{tikzpicture}
>     \node[red!50!black] (a) {A};
>     \node (b) [right of=a] {B};
>     \draw[->] (a) -- (b);
>   \end{tikzpicture}
> #+end_src

And, last but not least: how exactly the magic of tikz -> svg is
supposed to work here?  Do I get it correctly that in you example,
Imagemagick handles both png and svg?  What if I want to use pdf2svg
instead?

> #+caption: A tikz example diagram with a caption
> #+results: tikz_example
> [[file:example_diagram.png]]

TIA,

--