* Org to ics calendar with location links?
@ 2015-04-17  5:38 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-04-17  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been exporting some agenda files to iCalendar, then uploading them
to my server and getting them into the calendar app on my Android
tablet, by means of Radicale and DAVDroid. It all works fine, though I
wish I were able to get org-caldav working for two-way syncing.

I recently put a LOCATION property on one of my events, and was very
pleased to see that, in the google calendar app, the location was made
clickable and I was given the option of opening the location in OSMand.
I've wanted this for a long time! The only problem now is that I have no
idea how to format the LOCATION property value so that it's recognized
as a valid link. I assume I'd have to get the GPS coordinates and put
them in there... but how?

I guess this is what they call an "intent" in Android land, but I found
it surprisingly difficult to google an answer.

I know this is verging on OT, but if anyone knows how to do this, please
let me know! It would be nice to make a few custom functions for
inputting this kind of information.

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: Org to ics calendar with location links?
@ 2015-04-17  5:43 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-04-17  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I've been exporting some agenda files to iCalendar, then uploading them
> to my server and getting them into the calendar app on my Android
> tablet, by means of Radicale and DAVDroid. It all works fine, though I
> wish I were able to get org-caldav working for two-way syncing.
>
> I recently put a LOCATION property on one of my events, and was very
> pleased to see that, in the google calendar app, the location was made
> clickable and I was given the option of opening the location in OSMand.
> I've wanted this for a long time! The only problem now is that I have no
> idea how to format the LOCATION property value so that it's recognized
> as a valid link. I assume I'd have to get the GPS coordinates and put
> them in there... but how?
>
> I guess this is what they call an "intent" in Android land, but I found
> it surprisingly difficult to google an answer.
>
> I know this is verging on OT, but if anyone knows how to do this, please
> let me know! It would be nice to make a few custom functions for
> inputting this kind of information.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot! It looks like it's supposed to be
"geo:<latitude>,<longitude>", which matches up nicely with Org link
formats.

I'll go experiment for a bit.

https://developer.android.com/guide/components/intents-common.html#Maps

* Re: Org to ics calendar with location links?
@ 2015-04-17 13:28   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-04-17 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> I've been exporting some agenda files to iCalendar, then uploading them
>> to my server and getting them into the calendar app on my Android
>> tablet, by means of Radicale and DAVDroid. It all works fine, though I
>> wish I were able to get org-caldav working for two-way syncing.
>>
>> I recently put a LOCATION property on one of my events, and was very
>> pleased to see that, in the google calendar app, the location was made
>> clickable and I was given the option of opening the location in OSMand.
>> I've wanted this for a long time! The only problem now is that I have no
>> idea how to format the LOCATION property value so that it's recognized
>> as a valid link. I assume I'd have to get the GPS coordinates and put
>> them in there... but how?
>>
>> I guess this is what they call an "intent" in Android land, but I found
>> it surprisingly difficult to google an answer.
>>
>> I know this is verging on OT, but if anyone knows how to do this, please
>> let me know! It would be nice to make a few custom functions for
>> inputting this kind of information.
>
> Nevermind, I'm an idiot! It looks like it's supposed to be
> "geo:<latitude>,<longitude>", which matches up nicely with Org link
> formats.
>
> I'll go experiment for a bit.
>
> https://developer.android.com/guide/components/intents-common.html#Maps

You might want to look at Julien Danjou's google-maps.el package and its
org integration:

   https://julien.danjou.info/projects/emacs-packages

It's old and probably not directly applicable to what you are trying to
do, but at the very least it might be tangentially interesting.

Nick

* Re: Org to ics calendar with location links?
@ 2015-04-17 14:50   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-04-17 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Friday, 17 Apr 2015 at 13:43, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

[...]

> Nevermind, I'm an idiot! It looks like it's supposed to be
> "geo:<latitude>,<longitude>", which matches up nicely with Org link
> formats.
>
> I'll go experiment for a bit.

Keep us posted.  I would love to have this functionality as well.  The
LOCATION property does make it through org -> MobileOrg -> Google
Calendar so an easy to create geo: aware property would be quite useful.

Thanks,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.1, Org release_8.3beta-820-gd92ef9

* Re: Org to ics calendar with location links?
@ 2015-04-17 16:13     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-04-17 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> I've been exporting some agenda files to iCalendar, then uploading them
>>> to my server and getting them into the calendar app on my Android
>>> tablet, by means of Radicale and DAVDroid. It all works fine, though I
>>> wish I were able to get org-caldav working for two-way syncing.
>>>
>>> I recently put a LOCATION property on one of my events, and was very
>>> pleased to see that, in the google calendar app, the location was made
>>> clickable and I was given the option of opening the location in OSMand.
>>> I've wanted this for a long time! The only problem now is that I have no
>>> idea how to format the LOCATION property value so that it's recognized
>>> as a valid link. I assume I'd have to get the GPS coordinates and put
>>> them in there... but how?
>>>
>>> I guess this is what they call an "intent" in Android land, but I found
>>> it surprisingly difficult to google an answer.
>>>
>>> I know this is verging on OT, but if anyone knows how to do this, please
>>> let me know! It would be nice to make a few custom functions for
>>> inputting this kind of information.
>>
>> Nevermind, I'm an idiot! It looks like it's supposed to be
>> "geo:<latitude>,<longitude>", which matches up nicely with Org link
>> formats.
>>
>> I'll go experiment for a bit.
>>
>> https://developer.android.com/guide/components/intents-common.html#Maps
>>

> You might want to look at Julien Danjou's google-maps.el package and its
> org integration:
>
>    https://julien.danjou.info/projects/emacs-packages
>
> It's old and probably not directly applicable to what you are trying to
> do, but at the very least it might be tangentially interesting.

Thanks! I'll take a look.

* Re: Org to ics calendar with location links?
@ 2015-04-17 16:19     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-04-17 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Friday, 17 Apr 2015 at 13:43, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Nevermind, I'm an idiot! It looks like it's supposed to be
>> "geo:<latitude>,<longitude>", which matches up nicely with Org link
>> formats.
>>
>> I'll go experiment for a bit.
>
> Keep us posted.  I would love to have this functionality as well.  The
> LOCATION property does make it through org -> MobileOrg -> Google
> Calendar so an easy to create geo: aware property would be quite useful.

Preliminary experiments are positive! In fact, it was enough just to use
a string like "geo:XXXX,YYYY" as the LOCATION property. That survived
the ical export, and the caldav transfer, and when I "clicked" the
resulting location line in the Android calendar app, it offered to open
the link with OSMand, and showed me the correct coordinates.

The nature of OSMand's response made me suspect that it might also
accept arbitrary strings to search on (ie POI names or something), but
further messing about will have to wait until tomorrow.

Next up is finding out how to mark up the links so we can have a
human-readable link text, with the link address hidden. Perhaps it will
honor HTML, I don't know.

@ 2015-04-18 15:13       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-04-18 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On Friday, 17 Apr 2015 at 13:43, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Nevermind, I'm an idiot! It looks like it's supposed to be
>>> "geo:<latitude>,<longitude>", which matches up nicely with Org link
>>> formats.
>>>
>>> I'll go experiment for a bit.
>>
>> Keep us posted.  I would love to have this functionality as well.  The
>> LOCATION property does make it through org -> MobileOrg -> Google
>> Calendar so an easy to create geo: aware property would be quite useful.
>
> Preliminary experiments are positive! In fact, it was enough just to use
> a string like "geo:XXXX,YYYY" as the LOCATION property. That survived
> the ical export, and the caldav transfer, and when I "clicked" the
> resulting location line in the Android calendar app, it offered to open
> the link with OSMand, and showed me the correct coordinates.
>
> The nature of OSMand's response made me suspect that it might also
> accept arbitrary strings to search on (ie POI names or something), but
> further messing about will have to wait until tomorrow.
>
> Next up is finding out how to mark up the links so we can have a
> human-readable link text, with the link address hidden. Perhaps it will
> honor HTML, I don't know.

No, it ignores HTML. I've asked a question on StackOverflow, though, so
who knows...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29713943/formatting-text-of-ics-calendar-feed-to-make-clickable-intents-in-android