On Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 18:04, Jarmo Hurri wrote: > Greetings. > > What - if any - would be the recommended way to implement numbering only > second-level headlines in an exported document with running numbering > (resets with first-level headline change)? You haven't said what export target you are using. In any case, I would suggest you look at using a counter. See section 12.5 of the org manual but specifically: ‘{{{n}}}’ ‘{{{n(NAME)}}}’ ‘{{{n(NAME,ACTION)}}}’ This macro implements custom counters by returning the number of times the macro has been expanded so far while exporting the buffer. You can create more than one counter using different NAME values. If ACTION is ‘-’, previous value of the counter is held, i.e. the specified counter is not incremented. If the value is a number, the specified counter is set to that value. If it is any other non-empty string, the specified counter is reset to 1. You may leave NAME empty to reset the default counter. I would turn off numbering of headings (num:nil option) and then have the counter in each second level heading. -- Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.6-191-g90607d