* ox-texinfo: use an Org section as Info Top node
@ 2018-06-17  5:33 Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2018-06-17  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Congratulation on converting the Org manual to Org!  (I haven't really
gotten around to adjusting magit.org and my other manuals yet though.)

Anyway, I have an only marginally related feature request:

Currently ox-texinfo uses the text before the first Org section as the
"Top" Info node.  That is fine for manuals like org-manual.org where
that part of the document only consists of a few lines.  In my manuals
there are up to 40 lines before the first heading, which makes it
desirable to make that part of the document collapsible.

As a side-note, the reasons why I put more than just

> #+title: The Org Manual
>
> #+texinfo: @insertcopying

at the beginning of the file is that (1) I like to set the variables
there, and (2) I put more information into the Info "Top" node (which is
not included in the pdf export) than what I would like to be displayed
on the copyright page when exporting to pdf.  The latter should only
display the copyright information, while I want the former to display
e.g.:

> Borg User Manual
>
> The Borg assimilate Emacs packages as Git submodules.  Borg is a
> bare-bones package manager for Emacs packages.
>
> This manual is for Borg version 2.0.0 (v2.0.0-59-g89a9394+1).
>
>     Copyright (C) 2016-2018 Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>

It is already possible to set the section whose content is to be used
on the copyright page (and which can be inserted elsewhere using
"#+texinfo: @insertcopying") using the COPYING property.

Could you please implement something similar for the "Top" node, using
a property such as TOP?

  Cheers,
  Jonas

* Re: ox-texinfo: use an Org section as Info Top node
@ 2018-06-17  8:36 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-06-17  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> Currently ox-texinfo uses the text before the first Org section as the
> "Top" Info node.  That is fine for manuals like org-manual.org where
> that part of the document only consists of a few lines.  In my manuals
> there are up to 40 lines before the first heading, which makes it
> desirable to make that part of the document collapsible.

You can use a drawer for that:

    :PREAMBLE:
    :END:

> It is already possible to set the section whose content is to be used
> on the copyright page (and which can be inserted elsewhere using
> "#+texinfo: @insertcopying") using the COPYING property.
>
> Could you please implement something similar for the "Top" node, using
> a property such as TOP?

This sounds awkward, e.g., what would become the text before the first
heading? AFAIU, there no really need for it, isn't it?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: ox-texinfo: use an Org section as Info Top node
@ 2018-06-18 20:42   ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2018-06-18 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:
>
>> Currently ox-texinfo uses the text before the first Org section as the
>> "Top" Info node.  That is fine for manuals like org-manual.org where
>> that part of the document only consists of a few lines.  In my manuals
>> there are up to 40 lines before the first heading, which makes it
>> desirable to make that part of the document collapsible.
>
> You can use a drawer for that:
>
>     :PREAMBLE:
>     :END:

That works for me.

>> It is already possible to set the section whose content is to be used
>> on the copyright page (and which can be inserted elsewhere using
>> "#+texinfo: @insertcopying") using the COPYING property.
>>
>> Could you please implement something similar for the "Top" node, using
>> a property such as TOP?
>
> This sounds awkward, e.g., what would become the text before the first
> heading?

I guess it could either be ignored or prepended to the text from the TOP
section.

> AFAIU, there no really need for it, isn't it?

I didn't know about the PREAMBLE thing.  Now that I do, I don't need
anything else.

  Thanks for your help
  Jonas