Another option, of course, would be to revert my commit. I'm not in the slightest against reverting, but I'm not yet convinced it's necessary, as orgalist-mode currently seems to rely on the alignment of several implementation details. I do wonder about three things, though. The first is whether orgalist-mode couldn't use a custom indent-line-function instead of advising what may or may not be set to indent-relative by the user. The second is why advice--buffer-local does what it does. Stefan, why does it behave differently depending on local-variable-p? Why can't it simply call make-local-variable before returning the symbol-value? The third is why indent-according-to-mode hard-codes the check for indent-relative and indent-relative-first-indent-point. Wouldn't it be nice if this check instead looked up some variable akin to electric-indent-functions-without-reindent, that can be more easily customised? [1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/31361 Thanks for reporting this, and sorry for the fallout. -- Basil