* Powershell scripting with org-babel
@ 2020-02-10 16:38 MS Window
From: MS Window @ 2020-02-10 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

can you help me ? I want to use org-babel for Powershell scripting. I found this code chunk on the internet for customizing org-babel for Powershell on github:

https://gist.github.com/cbilson/ae0d90d163be4d769f8a15ddb58292bc

There is no explanation there I should put the configuration. The org-babel documentation is too brief for me as beginner to understand.

Yours sincerely

Claus Keller

* Re: Powershell scripting with org-babel
@ 2020-02-11  1:58 ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2020-02-11  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MS Window; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Micro$loth WindBlows is a computer virus

But if you must use Windows, suggest you use Cygwin and BASH and/or EShell
{the Emacs Shell}--you can do much more than PowerSh3ll

And Emacs & OrgMode work very nicely on Cygwin

@ 2020-02-11  1:59 ` Jack Kamm
From: Jack Kamm @ 2020-02-11  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MS Window, emacs-orgmode

Hi Klaus,

MS Window <ms.window@mailfence.com> writes:

> There is no explanation there I should put the configuration. The org-babel documentation is too brief for me as beginner to understand.

First, save that file somewhere. Then, in your emacs config, add the
directory containing ob-powershell.el to the `load-path' variable using
the function `add-to-list' [0]. Then, load ob-powershell using
`require'. Finally, add powershell to `org-babel-load-languages'
[1]. Then you should be able to execute powershell babel blocks.

Hope that helps,
Jack

[0] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LoadPath
[1] https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#configure

* Re: Powershell scripting with org-babel
@ 2020-02-11  3:32   ` George Mauer
From: George Mauer @ 2020-02-11  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MS Window, emacs-orgmode

> Micro$loth WindBlows is a computer virus

Well that's mature and appropriate.

I recently did an implementation of `ob-pwsh` for supporting powershell
core (it assumes there’s a pwsh command available on PATH though thats
configurable with `org-babel-command:pws`). Here’s the link
https://github.com/togakangaroo/ob-pwsh. Instructions for installing are in
the README

It works ok and even supports variables but was a 3 hour hack job, plenty
of features missing. I hadn’t even announced it on this list before. The
code is pretty small though - under 60 loc if you want to contribute to it,
I’m game.

I also saw this a while ago but haven’t really dug in
https://old.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/dkz0n1/babel_with_powershell/?st=k5jqc8es&sh=b464c181

Oh, and powershell is awesome. It’s 2020, we *should* have a runtime in our
terminal (eshell somewhat does this and is pretty good because of it). One
of the things that would be really nice to do some day would be some sort
of conversion between powershell and lisp structures so that we could pass
structured data as hashes and lists between languages - not just strings.

@ 2020-02-11 10:36     ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2020-02-11 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmauer; +Cc: MS Window, emacs-orgmode

Damn straight it's "mature and appropriate"

MicroSoft has been found guilty of MANY crimes that set the software
industry back many years through serial acquisitions & monopolistic
practices

Corporate immaturity, unfair and illegal practices have driven the rise of
the Free Software Foundation, Emacs & OrgMode

It's why were all here using OrgMode and supporting it--its ALL about
freedom and free and open source software

MicroSoft PowerShell is a participation in immaturity & stupidity

It's fashioned off of shells that really work rather than stripped down
nonsense that Gates stole and called his own--i.e. "quick and dirty
DOS"--which still works a little bit, on worthless machines enslaved by
MicroSoft products

Grow up: MicroSoft products are evil and enslaving

Now that said, I've used PowerShell; but, only when I had to--I strongly
suggest you do the same

@ 2020-02-11 11:16       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-11 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briangpowell .; +Cc: gmauer, MS Window, emacs-orgmode

Hi Brian,

emacs-orgmode@gnu.org is for discussing Org bugs and features, not
free software in general.

Also, everyone here is encouraged to read and follow the GNU Kind
communication guidelines as a way to keep an appropriate attitude
when talking with each other:

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.html

Thanks!

--