* get the body of a heading up to the next subheading
@ 2020-05-11 23:04 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2020-05-11 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get the body of a heading up to the next subheading. For
example with this org file,

* quiz one

This is the description.
Use emacs for this.

** question 1
what is 40 + 2

If the point is in the first heading, I want to run a function that would
return the string "This is the description.\nUse emacs for this."

I thought there was a simple way to do that, but so far it has eluded my
google fu. Any hints?

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: get the body of a heading up to the next subheading
@ 2020-05-12  1:03 ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2020-05-12  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

Emacs was created to do such things--in fact the name E-macs is a terse
form of Editor-Macros {originally a derivative of TECO}

{There is a huge list of what Emacs should stand for--my fave is: Emacs
Makes All Computing Simple}

Now, what I'm suggesting is you make a macro, and store and reuse it--to
get you started, I suggest something like this

Cs*
Cn
C@
Cs**
Cx (
replace-string
Cqj
Return
\n
Return
Cx )
name-last-macro
Give it a name & save it & re-use it and/or EXTEND it later

@ 2020-05-12  5:11 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-05-12  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin, org-mode-email

You may use something similar to org-quick-peek--get-entry-text from
org-quick-peek package (https://github.com/alphapapa/org-quick-peek):

(cl-defun org-quick-peek--get-entry-text (marker &key keep-drawers keep-planning)
  "Return Org entry text from node at MARKER.
If KEEP-DRAWERS is non-nil, drawers will be kept, otherwise
removed."
  ;; Modeled after `org-agenda-get-some-entry-text'
  (let (text)
    (with-current-buffer (marker-buffer marker)
      ;; Get raw entry text
      (org-with-wide-buffer
       (goto-char marker)
       ;; Skip heading
       (end-of-line 1)
       ;; Get entry text
       (setq text (buffer-substring
                   (point)
                   (or (save-excursion (outline-next-heading) (point))
                       (point-max))))))
    (with-temp-buffer
      (org-mode)
      (insert text)
      (unless keep-drawers
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (while (re-search-forward org-drawer-regexp nil t)
          ;; Remove drawers
          (delete-region (match-beginning 0)
                         (progn (re-search-forward
                                 "^[ \t]*:END:.*\n?" nil 'move)
                                (point)))))
      (unless keep-planning
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (while (re-search-forward org-planning-line-re nil t)
          ;; Remove planning line
          (kill-whole-line)))
      (setq text (buffer-substring (point-min) (point-max))))
    (-reduce-r #'funcall (reverse (cons text (cons #'identity org-quick-peek-filter-functions))))))

Best,
Ihor

--
Ihor Radchenko,
PhD,

* Re: get the body of a heading up to the next subheading
@ 2020-05-13 14:15   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2020-05-13 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: org-mode-email

Thanks! Here is what I am currently using:

(defun canvas-org-get-heading-body ()
  "Return the body of the current heading up to the next heading."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (unless (org-at-heading-p)
      (org-previous-visible-heading 1))
    (org-end-of-meta-data)
    (buffer-substring (point)
		      (progn (re-search-forward org-heading-regexp nil 'mv)
			     (line-beginning-position)))))

So far it gets what I want. I am pretty sure I have reinvented this,
maybe even from code I wrote before... I couldn't find my answer on SO
or my blog though.

@ 2020-05-13 14:38     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-05-13 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

> Thanks! Here is what I am currently using:

Note that your code may fail if there is an inline task in the body.

@ 2020-05-13 14:49       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2020-05-13 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: org-mode-email

good point, thanks!

Here is a new version that might fail some other way!

(defun canvas-org-get-heading-body ()
  "Return the body of the current heading up to the next heading."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (unless (org-at-heading-p)
      (org-previous-visible-heading 1))
    (org-end-of-meta-data)
    (buffer-substring (point)
     (progn (org-next-visible-heading 1) (point)))))

John

-----------------------------------

@ 2020-05-13 16:08     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-05-13 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email, Ihor Radchenko

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Thanks! Here is what I am currently using:
>
> (defun canvas-org-get-heading-body ()
>   "Return the body of the current heading up to the next heading."
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (unless (org-at-heading-p)
>       (org-previous-visible-heading 1))
>     (org-end-of-meta-data)
>     (buffer-substring (point)
> 		      (progn (re-search-forward org-heading-regexp nil 'mv)
> 			     (line-beginning-position)))))
>
> So far it gets what I want. I am pretty sure I have reinvented this,
> maybe even from code I wrote before... I couldn't find my answer on SO
> or my blog though.

I don't think there's anything built-in, no. I have needed this in
various places, and did something similar to the above, except with a
combination of `org-back-to-heading', `org-end-of-meta-data', then
`outline-next-heading'.

* Re: get the body of a heading up to the next subheading
@ 2020-05-13 16:41       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-05-13 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen, John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

> I don't think there's anything built-in, no. I have needed this in
> various places, and did something similar to the above, except with a
> combination of `org-back-to-heading', `org-end-of-meta-data', then
> `outline-next-heading'.

Hmm. I just noticed a reference to built-in
org-agenda-get-some-entry-text in the function I sent earlier.
I do not see why it cannot be used outside agenda. Maybe something like

(let ((org-agenda-entry-text-cleanup-hook nil))
(org-agenda-get-some-entry-text (point-marker) #x40000000))

--

@ 2020-05-22 14:41         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-05-22 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email, Ihor Radchenko

Hi John,

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Here is a new version that might fail some other way!
>
> (defun canvas-org-get-heading-body ()
>   "Return the body of the current heading up to the next heading."
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (unless (org-at-heading-p)
>       (org-previous-visible-heading 1))
>     (org-end-of-meta-data)
>     (buffer-substring (point)
>      (progn (org-next-visible-heading 1) (point)))))

Maybe this is useful enough to end up in
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html ?

We obviously need to make this page more readable and useful,
but new contents is always welcome.

 Bastien