* Document containing different text colours?
@ 2020-08-05 12:37 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2020-08-05 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Document containing different text colours?
@ 2020-08-05 18:29 ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2020-08-05 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Sharon,

I'm not sure I understand what is it that you are trying to do. But color
(or any other visual) is a feature of the exporter you use rather than of
Org-mode itself. For example, if you are exporting to HTML, you can use the
following at the top of the document:

#+html_head_extra: <style>body { color: white; background-color: black;
}</style>

For LaTeX export, you should be able to add the correct settings using #+
LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA.

Hope this helps,
--Diego

@ 2020-08-06 11:43   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2020-08-06 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Org-mode

Thanks for replying Diego.

The text of the book will not be exported into latex or any other
forward-type document. I need the coloured text purely for my own
interest and usage. When, and if, I do export it to latex, LibreOffice
doc or whatever, it will just have the standard coloured text of black
text on a white background. But I need different coloured texts in
org-mode to show me graphically where I added in new text to the book,
and at what stage of the drafting.

For instance - first draft is white text, second draft is lime-green,
third draft is light-blue, fourth draft is pale-red, etc.

So in the above instance I would have white text, lime-green text,
light-blue text, pale-red text, etc ... all in the same document.

Is that clearer?

Thanks
  Sharon.

Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org> writes:

> Hi Sharon,
>
> I'm not sure I understand what is it that you are trying to do. But color (or any other visual) is a feature of the exporter you use rather than of Org-mode itself. For example, if you are exporting to HTML, you can use the following
> at the top of the document:
>
> #+html_head_extra: <style>body { color: white; background-color: black; }</style>
>
> For LaTeX export, you should be able to add the correct settings using #+LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA.
>
> Hope this helps,
> --Diego
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 2:37 PM Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:

- --
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 10.2, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 27.1, org 9.3.7

* Re: Document containing different text colours?
@ 2020-08-06 15:41     ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2020-08-06 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Sharon,

I understand - you want something like a "change tracking mode". I do not
really know if you can manually set custom faces on the text of a buffer
(you probably can, but I don't know how).

If you use git for version control, I found diff-hl mode (
https://github.com/dgutov/diff-hl), which highlights the changes since the
last committed version. Maybe this helps? For example:

[image: image.png]

Best,
--Diego

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 1:43 PM Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for replying Diego.
>
> The text of the book will not be exported into latex or any other
> forward-type document. I need the coloured text purely for my own
> interest and usage. When, and if, I do export it to latex, LibreOffice
> doc or whatever, it will just have the standard coloured text of black
> text on a white background. But I need different coloured texts in
> org-mode to show me graphically where I added in new text to the book,
> and at what stage of the drafting.
>
> For instance - first draft is white text, second draft is lime-green,
> third draft is light-blue, fourth draft is pale-red, etc.
>
> So in the above instance I would have white text, lime-green text,
> light-blue text, pale-red text, etc ... all in the same document.
>
> Is that clearer?
>
> Thanks
>   Sharon.
>
> Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org> writes:
>
> > Hi Sharon,
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand what is it that you are trying to do. But
> color (or any other visual) is a feature of the exporter you use rather
> than of Org-mode itself. For example, if you are exporting to HTML, you can
> use the following
> > at the top of the document:
> >
> > #+html_head_extra: <style>body { color: white; background-color: black;
> }</style>
> >
> > For LaTeX export, you should be able to add the correct settings using
> #+LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > --Diego
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 2:37 PM Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
> wrote:

> - --
> A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk
> TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
> DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
> Debian 10.2, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 27.1, org 9.3.7

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 105957 bytes --]

* Re: Document containing different text colours?
@ 2020-08-06 15:46     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2020-08-06 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Diego Zamboni, emacs-orgmode

This would not be too easy to achieve.

One way I can see it happening is if you keep your manuscript in a VC
system like git, and you tag the different draft versions. Then you use
the VC diff machinery to find the diffs between the versions, and
somehow use that to put color overlays or text properties.

latexdiff can do something like this but only for two versions, not
multiple versions. Even the fanciest of diff programs I think can only
deal with three files (versions).

You might find some insight at
https://github.com/jkitchin/scimax/blob/master/scimax-editmarks.org#from-git-diff.

this uses the scimax-editmarks package I have been working on, and uses wdiff
to markup the differences between two versions of a file in a git repo.

Looking back on this you should expect a rainbow soup of issues, for
example, how would you deal with text that has been deleted? or moved
around, or changed a few times between versions.

I am not sure it would be easy to figure out how to do this for multiple
versions.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: Document containing different text colours?
@ 2020-08-06 18:35 ` Bo Grimes
From: Bo Grimes @ 2020-08-06 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It feels to me like this should be possible because syntax highlighting
mixes colors.  I am woefully inadequate to help, but I feel like
mentioning this might spark a guru's imagination.

I remember years ago when I used Notepad++ on Windows it allowed
user-defined syntax highlighting, and I did so for my GTD system at that
time.  I have no doubt one could create a personal syntax highlighting
scheme in Emacs, but (how(me(ask(don't)))! <--- I'm sure that's absurd,
but hopefully a funny indicator of my ignorance.

It would be a stop-gap with some pitfalls, but perhaps make all 2nd
draft text bold and all 3rd draft italics.  The obvious pitfall is any
already emphasized first draft text.

On 8/5/20 8:37 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:

--
Bo Grimes

* Re: Document containing different text colours?
@ 2020-08-07  7:22   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-08-07  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bo Grimes; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday,  6 Aug 2020 at 14:35, Bo Grimes wrote:
> It feels to me like this should be possible because syntax
> highlighting mixes colors.

hi-lock-mode may do what the OP wanted with some careful insertion of
tags in the document, maybe in the form of comment lines.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.7-705-gea9463