* [feature] capture: defcustom for item/checkitem to skip LOGBOOK [9.4.4 (release_9.4.4-159-g9140a7 @ /home/n/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
@ 2020-12-31  2:23 No Wayman
From: No Wayman @ 2020-12-31  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Consider the following file named "/tmp/capture-item-logbook.org":

---- start capture-item-logbook.org ---
* TODO TASK
SCHEDULED: <2020-12-30 Wed 21:30 ++1d>
:PROPERTIES:
:STYLE:    habit
:END:
:LOGBOOK:
- State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2020-12-29 Tue 21:30]
:END:

:+begin_src emacs-lisp :lexical t
(let ((org-capture-templates
       '(("x" "TASK ITEM" item
          (file+headline "/tmp/capture-item-logbook.org"
          "TASK")))))
  (org-capture nil "x"))
#+end_src
---- end capture-item-logbook.org ---

Executing the src block places the capture item in the LOGBOOK
drawer if the entry type is 'item or 'checkitem.
Technically this is the correct behavior according to
`org-capture-templates' docstring:

item  a plain list item, will be placed in the
    first plain list at the target location.
    Its default template is:
      "- %?"

The documentation on LOGBOOK drawers also mentions:

"You can also arrange for state change notes  and clock times to
be stored in a ‘LOGBOOK’ drawer.
If you want to store a quick note there, in a similar way to state
changes, use..."

Is it worth having an option for org-capture's item/checkitem
templates to skip targeting drawers?
capture is flexible enough where user's can implement their own
point-placing function, but I wonder
if skipping drawers is the common case.

Thoughts?

@ 2020-12-31  6:31 Sam Whitlock