* org-super-agenda global list of TODO items
@ 2022-09-12  8:15 Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2022-09-12  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I just learnt about org-super-agenda today and it looks brilliant to
keep my agenda a bit better organized. But I tend to use the "C-c a h"
to view the daily agenda and the tasks. I managed to organize my todo
items in the daily agenda view without issues, but I'm not sure what I
have to do to organize the items in the "Global list of TODO items". Is
this possible? Any examples to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,
--
Ángel de Vicente
 Research Software Engineer (Supercomputing and BigData)

* Re: org-super-agenda global list of TODO items
@ 2022-09-13  1:39 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-13  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Angel de Vicente <angel.vicente.garrido@gmail.com> writes:

> I managed to organize my todo
> items in the daily agenda view without issues, but I'm not sure what I
> have to do to organize the items in the "Global list of TODO items". Is
> this possible? Any examples to point me in the right direction?

Could you please elaborate what you mean by "organize"?

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: org-super-agenda global list of TODO items
@ 2022-09-13  5:41   ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2022-09-13  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Could you please elaborate what you mean by "organize"?

Maybe the best is an image... If you look at
https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda/blob/master/images/screenshots/index.org,
you can see that the TODO items for a given date in the agenda are
neatly organized by using org-super-agenda into user-defined groups
(Important, Personal, etc.).

I got this working fine, but then I have a long list of TODO items with
no scheduled date. I was hoping that org-super-agenda would also work on
those items, so that similar grouping would be applied to them, but I
don't know if this is not possible or I'm missing something.

As an example, my agenda now looks like the following, where the
grouping is not applied to the Global list of TODO items (which I would
like):

,----

`----

--

@ 2022-09-13 14:26     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-13 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Angel de Vicente <angel.vicente.garrido@gmail.com> writes:

>> Could you please elaborate what you mean by "organize"?
>
> Maybe the best is an image... If you look at
> https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda/blob/master/images/screenshots/index.org,
> you can see that the TODO items for a given date in the agenda are
> neatly organized by using org-super-agenda into user-defined groups
> (Important, Personal, etc.).
>
> I got this working fine, but then I have a long list of TODO items with
> no scheduled date. I was hoping that org-super-agenda would also work on
> those items, so that similar grouping would be applied to them, but I
> don't know if this is not possible or I'm missing something.

How do you customize your org-super-agenda-groups variable?

--

@ 2022-09-13 14:30       ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2022-09-13 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> How do you customize your org-super-agenda-groups variable?

via customize-variable, which sets this in my custom-set-variables in my .emacs:

,----
`----

--

@ 2022-09-13 14:50         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-13 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Angel de Vicente <angel.vicente.garrido@gmail.com> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> How do you customize your org-super-agenda-groups variable?
>
> via customize-variable, which sets this in my custom-set-variables in my .emacs:
>
> ,----
> |  '(org-super-agenda-groups
> |    '((:name "Schedule" :time-grid t :transformer
> |             (--> it
> |                  (propertize it 'face
> |                              '(:foreground "yellow"))))
> |      (:name "Important" :priority "A")
> |      (:name "POLMAG" :tag "polmag")
> |      (:name "Astrophysics" :tag
> |             ("astrophysics"))
> |      (:name "Personal" :tag "personal")
> |      (:priority<= "B" :order 1)))
> `----

This looks correct. The only suspicious group is the one with
:time-grid. Time grid is not supported in todo list by vanilla
org-agenda. I am not sure how well org-super-agenda handles it.

I'd try to remove the "Schedule" group for TODO agenda. If it helps the
situation, you may consider reporting the issue to org-super-agenda
author at https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda/

--

@ 2022-09-13 18:55           ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2022-09-13 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

> This looks correct. The only suspicious group is the one with
> :time-grid. Time grid is not supported in todo list by vanilla
> org-agenda. I am not sure how well org-super-agenda handles it.
>
> I'd try to remove the "Schedule" group for TODO agenda. If it helps the
> situation, you may consider reporting the issue to org-super-agenda
> author at https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda/

thanks for the help. It turns out that this was already an issue in
org-super-agenda
(https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda/issues/212). User tuh8888
provided a possible fix
(https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda/pull/221), which has not
been accepted yet since apparently perhaps it can break other things,
but in my case it looks like it is working just fine, so I'll risk it
:-)

Cheers,
--

@ 2022-09-13 19:55             ` Christophe Schockaert
From: Christophe Schockaert @ 2022-09-13 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2022-09-13 20:55, Angel de Vicente wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> This looks correct. The only suspicious group is the one with
>> :time-grid. Time grid is not supported in todo list by vanilla
>> org-agenda. I am not sure how well org-super-agenda handles it.
>>
>> I'd try to remove the "Schedule" group for TODO agenda. If it helps
>> the
>> situation, you may consider reporting the issue to org-super-agenda
>> author at https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda/
>
> thanks for the help. It turns out that this was already an issue in
> org-super-agenda
> (https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda/issues/212). User
> tuh8888
> provided a possible fix
> (https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda/pull/221), which has not
> been accepted yet since apparently perhaps it can break other things,
> but in my case it looks like it is working just fine, so I'll risk it
> :-)
>
> Cheers,

Hi,

Thank you for pointing this bug report.
I encountered the same myself, but if I remember correctly, I went
through it another way, so I was not sure it was expected to work this
way.

If I am right (I am playing with the config, it’s not in my daily setup
yet for now), I could achieve this by defining
"org-agenda-custom-commands" as shown in the "Projects" example :
https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda/blob/master/examples.org#projects.

In that case, "org-super-agenda-groups" is defined differently according
to the context, so the "time-grid" captures the timed entries in its
scope. Then, "org-super-agenda-groups" applies to the TODOs in the
"todo" or "alltodo" context (I used the latter one) where I don’t define
the "time-grid" selection. Or, maybe I applied it to the "alltodo" only,
and discarded it for the agenda grid to work only on the TODOs. I don’t
remember exactly, however this might be a workaround to try that does
not need an update of the code, especially if it is not expected to be
stable and supported by the author.

Sincerely,

Christophe

--
--------------->  https://www.citadels.earth
Once it's perfectly aimed, the flying arrow goes straight to its target.

* Re: org-super-agenda global list of TODO items
@ 2022-09-14  9:32               ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2022-09-14  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Christophe Schockaert <R3vLibre@citadels.eu> writes:

> If I am right (I am playing with the config, it’s not in my daily setup yet for
> now), I could achieve this by defining "org-agenda-custom-commands" as shown in
> the "Projects" example :
> https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda/blob/master/examples.org#projects.
>
> In that case, "org-super-agenda-groups" is defined differently according to the
> context, so the "time-grid" captures the timed entries in its scope. Then,
> "org-super-agenda-groups" applies to the TODOs in the "todo" or "alltodo"
> context (I used the latter one) where I don’t define the "time-grid"
> selection. Or, maybe I applied it to the "alltodo" only, and discarded it for
> the agenda grid to work only on the TODOs. I don’t remember exactly, however
> this might be a workaround to try that does not need an update of the code,
> especially if it is not expected to be stable and supported by the author.

great. That looks very promising, and without the need to change the
source code. I will try it later on and report back.

Cheers,
--

@ 2022-09-14 10:24                 ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2022-09-14 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Angel de Vicente <angel.vicente.garrido@gmail.com> writes:

> great. That looks very promising, and without the need to change the
> source code. I will try it later on and report back.

I ended up with this (and going back to unmodified source code for
org-super-agenda, and it now works beautifully.

,----
| (setq own-agenda-groups '((:name "Efemerides" :tag "efemerides" :order 1)
|                          (:name "IMPORTANT" :priority "A" :transformer
|                                 (--> it
|                                      (propertize it 'face
|                                                  '(:foreground "red" :background "green")))
|                                 :order 1)
|                          (:name "Astrophysics" :tag "astrophysics" :order 3)
|                          (:name "Hacking" :tag "hacking" :order 3)
|                          (:name "Admin" :tag "admin" :order 4)))
|
| (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
|       '(("h" "Agenda and tasks"
| 	 ((agenda "" ((org-super-agenda-groups
|                        (append
|                         '((:todo "DONE" :discard)
|                           (:name "Schedule" :time-grid t :transformer
|                                  (--> it
|                                       (propertize it 'face
|                                                   '(:foreground "yellow")))))
|                         own-agenda-groups))))