Hi Bastien, > I’m all for places where people can freely discuss anything related to > Org. There are already many such places: #org-mode and #org-mode-fr > on IRC, r/org-mode on reddit.com, stackoverflow.com, etc. Yep, but I do think it’s good to have a few promoted places, ideally based on FOSS services. Not to start another tangent, but this is one of the reasons why I think discourse could be a good idea — as a FOSS replacement for reddit, stackoverflow, etc. > I don’t want development decisions to be taken in such places—that I > think we all agree upon. Sounds like we’re on the same page. > Based on that, I don’t want a separated IRC channel or a Matrix room > to be promoted (de facto, by its name) as the place for “contributing > to Org’s development”: #org-dev or a dedicated Matrix room would sound > like this to newcomers. #orgmode is the IM complement of the mailing > list: a place where Orgers discuss. On top of that, the ML is the > place where to suggest patches. Mmm, it doesn’t have the same role or supplant the ML. > I think I get your point about categorisation in general, but in this > case, there is the risk of excluding a category of people (lurkers, > occasional contributors, etc.) or more precisely: to incidently and > inadvertently encourage them to self-exclude themselves. I hear what you’re saying, I’m just not sure how much of an issue this actually would be. My initial suspicion is with a this issue would be small to non-existent. >> With regards to accessibility, I think Matrix is also reaching a rather good >> point. > > Is it possible to lurk in a Matrix room without any login? With a matrix client you can peek in public rooms without joining them, and currently exists. >> The current state of affairs includes an Emacs client, a host of >> dedicated apps, in-browser web clients, and more. While the ability to peruse >> archives has not yet been developed, it is also possible to copy a link to a >> particular message, and so a conversation can be transferred from Matrix to the >> ML with a link to the initial conversation, e.g. >> > > It’s good to be able to connect to Matrix via Emacs: I will try this > myself soon. I haven’t tried this myself yet, but it sounds quite promising! I’d be interested to hear how you find it. All the best, Timothy