* search in org-sparse-tree for multiple files
       [not found] <1277881757.3298435.1672461584764.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2022-12-31  4:39 ` Eric Chun
From: Eric Chun @ 2022-12-31  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I can't seem to use the M-g M-n keys to jump to occurrences in sparse tree search for second org file within same Emacs window.
If I search first file by pressing C-c / r <regex> RET and then search second file by pressing C-c / r <regex> RET, I'm not able to jump to occurrences in that second file by pressing M-g M-n.  I get a message saying "No more matches" even though there are matches.  If I close the first file buffer, then I am able to use M-g M-n to jump to occurrences in the second file.
Does anybody know what I may be missing?
I'm using org mode version 9.6 in Emacs 28.2 on CentOS7.

* Re: search in org-sparse-tree for multiple files
@ 2022-12-31 13:38   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-31 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Chun; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Eric Chun <eyc8@yahoo.com> writes:

> I can't seem to use the M-g M-n keys to jump to occurrences in sparse tree search for second org file within same Emacs window.
> If I search first file by pressing C-c / r <regex> RET and then search second file by pressing C-c / r <regex> RET, I'm not able to jump to occurrences in that second file by pressing M-g M-n.  I get a message saying "No more matches" even though there are matches.  If I close the first file buffer, then I am able to use M-g M-n to jump to occurrences in the second file.
> Does anybody know what I may be missing?
> I'm using org mode version 9.6 in Emacs 28.2 on CentOS7.

`org-occur-next-match' does not support multiple buffers.
Looking at the docstring of `next-error-function', I am also not sure if
we need to support this there. The docstring talks only about the
current buffer.

What might be relevant is `next-error-find-buffer-function' - a user
customization you may want to set.

Generally, it is unclear for me how to implement multiple buffers
support for org-spare-tree. Ideas and patches welcome.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: search in org-sparse-tree for multiple files
@ 2022-12-31 15:29     ` Eric Chun
From: Eric Chun @ 2022-12-31 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

 Ihor:  "`org-occur-next-match' does not support multiple buffers.Looking at the docstring of `next-error-function', I am also not sure if
we need to support this there. The docstring talks only about the
current buffer."
I'm assuming "current buffer" is the buffer which I can currently type input into.  The current buffer is not finding next occurrence of search string by pressing M-g M-n.  Is this expected?

@ 2023-01-01 13:25       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-01-01 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Chun; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Eric Chun <eyc8@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm assuming "current buffer" is the buffer which I can currently type input into.  The current buffer is not finding next occurrence of search string by pressing M-g M-n.  Is this expected?

Could you please elaborate?
What exactly you did and what do you expect to happen?
(see https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: search in org-sparse-tree for multiple files
@ 2023-01-01 18:44         ` Eric Chun
From: Eric Chun @ 2023-01-01 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org