* #+include: export header lines
@ 2009-04-13 19:24 Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-04-13 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I'm failing to work out how to #+include: a file containing export
header directives in such a way that the directives are obeyed.

I tried creating this file tmp.org

#+include: "~/src/common/org-header.org"
* heading 1

where the contents of org-header.org are

#+STYLE: <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/home/dan/src/common/dan.css" />
#+AUTHOR:     Dan Davison
#+EMAIL:      davison@stats.ox.ac.uk

* this is org-header; that_1 shouldn't be a subscript

On export of tmp.org I *do* get the heading from org-header.org, but I
do not get the effects of the export directives in org-header.org
(dan.css didn't happen, and the _1 subscript comes out as a
subscript). In contrast when I export org-header.org itself, I do of
course get the effects of the export options.

I am conscious that most if not all of my previous posts of this nature
have resulted in me being pointed to the section of the manual I
*should* have been familiar with! So, for the record, for this problem I
looked at

http://orgmode.org/manual/Export-options.html#Export-options
http://orgmode.org/manual/Include-files.html#index-g_t_0023_002bINCLUDE-878

OTOH I just grepped through the contents of Worg and found no such
mechanism being used, so perhaps I am for once asking for something that
doesn't already exist.

Thanks a lot,

Dan

* Re: #+include: export header lines
@ 2009-04-14 11:21 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-14 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dan,

special lines like #+OPTIONS are only parsed if the file is
pointed to with

#+SETUPFILE: "~/src/common/org-header.org"

HTH

- Carsten

P.S.  Where should we have had what documentation
to make this easier for you to find?

@ 2009-04-14 16:35   ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-04-14 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi Dan,
>
> special lines like #+OPTIONS are only parsed if the file is
> pointed to with
>
> #+SETUPFILE: "~/src/common/org-header.org"
>
> HTH

Yes that's what I was looking for, thanks!

> - Carsten
>
> P.S.  Where should we have had what documentation
> to make this easier for you to find?

Here are some suggestions. I could try to make a patch if that is
helpful? Does one just edit the org.texi manually? I've edited my copy
of org.texi as follows, but it didn't compile on make doc [see error
at end]

* [14.3 Summary of in-buffer settings]
  It might be logical to include the export options in this summary so
  that all the #+SOMETHING: options are together. Alternatively a link
  to [12.3 Export options] would be helpful in the initial text at
  node 14.3, i.e. around line 9642 in org.texi

* #+SETUPFILE doesn't get an index entry
  So would that be a case of adding
  @cindex #+SETUPFILE
  on e.g. line 9691?

* Make connections from node [12.3 Export options] to [14.3 Summary of in-buffer settings]
  Something like this at line 8151?

  For a summary of other in-buffer settings not
  specifically related to export, see @ref{Summary of in-buffer settings}.
  In particular, note that you can place commonly-used (export) options in
  a separate file which can be included using @code{#+SETUPFILE}.

[
Although that doesn't compile for me; I've never used texinfo before.
/usr/local/src/org-mode> make doc
(cd doc; makeinfo --html --number-sections --no-split -o org.html org.texi)
/usr/local/src/org-mode/doc//org.texi:8152: Cross reference to nonexistent node `Summary of in-buffer settings' (perhaps incorrect sectioning?).
]

Dan

@ 2009-04-15  6:43     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-15  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 14, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Dan Davison wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> special lines like #+OPTIONS are only parsed if the file is
>> pointed to with
>>
>> #+SETUPFILE: "~/src/common/org-header.org"
>>
>> HTH
>
> Yes that's what I was looking for, thanks!
>

>> - Carsten
>>
>> P.S.  Where should we have had what documentation
>> to make this easier for you to find?
>
> Here are some suggestions. I could try to make a patch if that is
> helpful? Does one just edit the org.texi manually? I've edited my copy
> of org.texi as follows, but it didn't compile on make doc [see error
> at end]
>
> * [14.3 Summary of in-buffer settings]
>  It might be logical to include the export options in this summary so
>  that all the #+SOMETHING: options are together. Alternatively a link
>  to [12.3 Export options] would be helpful in the initial text at
>  node 14.3, i.e. around line 9642 in org.texi

They are listed there, with a link to more detailed documentation.

> * #+SETUPFILE doesn't get an index entry
>  So would that be a case of adding
>  @cindex #+SETUPFILE
>  on e.g. line 9691?

I added this, thanks.

> * Make connections from node [12.3 Export options] to [14.3 Summary
> of in-buffer settings]
>  Something like this at line 8151?
>
>  For a summary of other in-buffer settings not
>  specifically related to export, see @ref{Summary of in-buffer
> settings}.
>  In particular, note that you can place commonly-used (export)
> options in
>  a separate file which can be included using @code{#+SETUPFILE}.

I added this as well, thanks.

- Carsten