* Agenda export to html error
@ 2009-07-12 15:10 Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2009-07-12 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

When I try to export my agenda view to html (C-x C-w test.html), I get
an "Invalid face" error in the minibuffer and no output file. The
Message buffer tells me "face-attribute: Invalid face".

Exporting to postscript works well though.

I have tried with and without setting org-todo-keyword-faces with no
success.

Would anyone have a clue about this problem ?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Agenda export to html error
@ 2009-07-12 16:21 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-07-12 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@neuf.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> When I try to export my agenda view to html (C-x C-w test.html), I get
> an "Invalid face" error in the minibuffer and no output file. The
> Message buffer tells me "face-attribute: Invalid face".
>
> Exporting to postscript works well though.
>
> I have tried with and without setting org-todo-keyword-faces with no
> success.
>
> Would anyone have a clue about this problem ?

I think this is caused by a problem with an Emacs component called
htmlize, when used on Emacs 23 (are you using Emacs 23?). Carsten has
put the appropriate new version of htmlize.el into the
org-mode/contrib/lisp directory, to address this problem. So my
suggestion is to try

(add-to-list 'load-path "location/of/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
(require 'htmlize)

and see if that fixes it (The aim is to make sure that the version of
htmlize in org-mode/contrib/lisp gets used as opposed to the version
that comes with Emacs).

Dan

@ 2009-07-12 17:42   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2009-07-12 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> I think this is caused by a problem with an Emacs component called
> htmlize, when used on Emacs 23 (are you using Emacs 23?).

I am.

> (add-to-list 'load-path "location/of/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
> (require 'htmlize)

Well, after putting that in my .emacs, byte-compiling htmlize.el *and*
renaming every single file named htmlize.el[c] in my /usr hierarchy, it
now works.

I owe you a thank you.

Though, I still wonder why htmlize.elc in /usr was taking precedence
over the one in the contrib directory, even after I had compiled it.

--

@ 2009-07-12 18:15     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-07-12 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Dan Davison, emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@neuf.fr> wrote:

> Though, I still wonder why htmlize.elc in /usr was taking precedence
> over the one in the contrib directory, even after I had compiled it.

Check your load-path - sometimes, packages take too many freedoms with
it.

locate-library is also useful to see from where a package is loaded:

   (locate-library "htmlize")

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Agenda export to html error
@ 2009-07-12 19:15       ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]         ` <n.goaziou@neuf.fr>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2009-07-12 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Dan Davison, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Check your load-path - sometimes, packages take too many freedoms with
> it.

Here is my load-path :

(setq load-path
      (append load-path
              (list
               "~/.emacs.d/elisp"
               "~/.emacs.d/etc"
               "~/.emacs.d/elisp/yasnippet-0.5.10"
               "~/.emacs.d/elisp/org-mode/lisp"
               "~/.emacs.d/elisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp")))

I don't see anything that could be wrong.

> locate-library is also useful to see from where a package is loaded:
>
>    (locate-library "htmlize")

You are right. I tend to forget about this function. Alas, in that case,
this will give me the "who" but not the "why".

--

@ 2009-07-12 20:39           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-07-12 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos, Dan Davison, emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@neuf.fr> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > Check your load-path - sometimes, packages take too many freedoms with
> > it.
>
> Here is my load-path :
>
> (setq load-path
>       (append load-path
>               (list
>                "~/.emacs.d/elisp"
>                "~/.emacs.d/etc"
>                "~/.emacs.d/elisp/yasnippet-0.5.10"
>                "~/.emacs.d/elisp/org-mode/lisp"
>                "~/.emacs.d/elisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp")))
>
> I don't see anything that could be wrong.

Well, you are appending your stuff at the end of whatever emacs sets it to,
so it prefers *its* directories over yours.

I also meant that you should ask emacs what *it* thinks its load path is:

  C-h v load-path

That may differ wildly from what you think it is.

As an aside, I think (but I am not sure) that part of the debian/ubuntu
problem that people have been running into is that the convoluted
user *cannot* override the setting from his/her own init files; one has
to find and edit/delete system files (in /etc/emacs or thereabouts).

> > locate-library is also useful to see from where a package is loaded:
> >
> >    (locate-library "htmlize")
>
> You are right. I tend to forget about this function. Alas, in that case,
> this will give me the "who" but not the "why".

It's another debugging tool. In combination with the value of load-path,
it can guide you in the right direction.

Nick

* Re: Agenda export to html error
@ 2009-07-12 21:47             ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2009-07-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Dan Davison, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Well, you are appending your stuff at the end of whatever emacs sets it to,
> so it prefers *its* directories over yours.

Understood.

This new load-path is better then :

(setq load-path
      (append (list
               "~/.emacs.d/elisp"
               "~/.emacs.d/elisp/yasnippet-0.5.10"
               "~/.emacs.d/elisp/magit"
               "~/.emacs.d/elisp/org-mode/lisp"
               "~/.emacs.d/elisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
              load-path
              (list
               "~/.emacs.d/etc")))

As a side note, .emacs.d/etc, holding my gnus.el must be put at the end.
Otherwise, I get some load recursive error.

Thanks for pointing me on the right direction.

--

@ 2009-07-12 23:24               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-07-12 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos, Dan Davison, emacs-orgmode

At Sun, 12 Jul 2009 23:47:12 +0200,
Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> (setq load-path
>       (append (list
>                "~/.emacs.d/elisp"
>                "~/.emacs.d/elisp/yasnippet-0.5.10"
>                "~/.emacs.d/elisp/magit"
>                "~/.emacs.d/elisp/org-mode/lisp"
>                "~/.emacs.d/elisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
>               load-path
>               (list
>                "~/.emacs.d/etc")))

You might find it easier to use add-to-list which prepends entries to
the list...

> As a side note, .emacs.d/etc, holding my gnus.el must be put at the end.
> Otherwise, I get some load recursive error.

with gnus, isn't it easier/better to simply have a ~/.gnus file?  But
it's been a while since I used gnus so possibly ignore this comment!