* why not auto-renumbering list ?
@ 2010-08-07 12:41 Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2010-08-07 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello,

I'm still into lists, and I'm wondering about the global usefulness of
`org-auto-renumber-ordered-lists', provided that:

- it isn't noticeably slower to renumber and fix a list than to simply
  fix its indentation;
- you can use [@start:num] to enforce a special numbering;
- some actions on a list will renumber it whatever the value of this
  variable is.

So, I'd like to hear about other users. Do you set this variable to
nil? If so, what is your use case?

If there's a need for decreasing numbers or numbers increasing by more
than one, I could add [@step:num] and [@start:num,@step:num] as
possibilities, but it looks a bit overkill to me.

Anyway, the idea behind this would be to:

- remove `org-maybe-renumber-ordered-list',
- remove `org-maybe-renumber-ordered-list-safe',
- remove this variable,
- rename `org-fix-bullet-type' to `org-fix-bullet',
- call `org-fix-bullet' unconditionally when acting on a list instead
  of having to decide if the function should renumber or simply fix
  indentation.

What do you think about it?

Regards,

-- Nicolas