* Backuping org with git, cron and Dropbox
@ 2011-05-01  5:29 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-05-01  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list,

I just would like to share the approach I use (just finished setting
it up) to backup org.

I keep all my org files on ~/org/*. This is also a git repo. Every
night at 12:00AM, a cron job will run a sh script that will:

1) Commit with the current date ( Sat-30-04-2011-11:43:28 PM for example);
2) push to origin.

It's simpler than other solution such as backupninja (that I don't if
would work on dropbox) and keeps also a revision history (per day).

Here's the remote configuration for git.

  8 [remote "origin"]
  9   url = /Users/myname/Dropbox/org
 10   fetch = refs/heads/master:refs/heads/origin

Another thing I should point out is that I'm using (the excellent)
org-crypt to encrypt sensitive information such as bank accounts data
and passwords.

Also, I'm using TimeMachine to backup to an external hard-drive. Time
machine is not the most efficient of backup solutions but "just
works". I'll see if I can setup backupninja to backup to Dropbox as
well, if so, I might switch to that.

Hope might useful for someone out there :)

Cheers,

Marcelo.

* Re: Backuping org with git, cron and Dropbox
@ 2011-05-01  5:36 ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-05-01  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Another thing: I'm considering setting the commit cron job to every
hour. So, every hour I would have a fresh copy of org pushed to my
dropbox volume.

I forgot to share the commit.sh (I don't  usually program in bash, so
bear with me :)):

  1 DAYW=$(date | cut -d" " -f 1)
  2 NOW=$(date +"%d-%m-%Y-%r")
  3
  4 cd ~/org
  5 git add .
  6 git commit -a -m "$DAYW-$NOW"
  7 git push

Cheers,

Marcelo.

@ 2011-05-01 11:31   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-05-01 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Another thing: I'm considering setting the commit cron job to every
> hour. So, every hour I would have a fresh copy of org pushed to my
> dropbox volume.
>
> I forgot to share the commit.sh (I don't  usually program in bash, so
> bear with me :)):
>
>   1 DAYW=$(date | cut -d" " -f 1)
>   2 NOW=$(date +"%d-%m-%Y-%r")
>   3
>   4 cd ~/org
>   5 git add .
>   6 git commit -a -m "$DAYW-$NOW"
>   7 git push
>
> Cheers,

Hi Marcelo,

I use the following script hourly
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#OrgGitSyncSh
which also handles removing deleted files.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Backuping org with git, cron and Dropbox
@ 2011-05-01 19:09     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-05-01 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Org Mode

Bernt,

That's amazing!

Much more complex, and I really liked the idea of tracking every
directory that has important files (including configuration files).
Thank you for sharing.

As for deleting files, I just rm -rf when I need to, so the next
commit -a will catch it.

But yours is definitely a new (and I'd say better) backup paradigm. I
will definitely implement your ideas later, but right now I'm
satisfied (kind of) OK with OSX's Time Machine.

Cheers,

Marcelo.

@ 2011-05-02 17:16   ` theo
From: theo @ 2011-05-02 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

believed to be clean.

* Re: Backuping org with git, cron and Dropbox
@ 2011-05-02 21:12     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-05-02 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: theo; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Theo,

Thanks for the tip. I don't really program in bash, so that was a
useful tip. I'll start getting into it more, as it's a simple and
powerful way to solve problems, and it's available almost everywhere
you have a POSIX OS :)

Cheers,

Marcelo.