* Hrules and Column/Page breaks
@ 2012-02-01  8:00 Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-02-01  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Orgmode; +Cc: Nicolas Goaziou

Is it possible to extend horizontal ruler to also stand for page *and*
column breaks (say) by attaching a header to it. For it to be useful,
the page break can have a style attached to it that specifies what
manner of pages that this break introduces.

(For example, start emitting Frontmatter pages from here on. Start
emitting Regular pages from here on.)

Would you be interested in formalizing this arrangement? WDYT.

Org file below:

* Headline

There is horizontal line below.

#+header: some qualifiers
------------------

There is a horizontal ruler above.

gets transformed to this:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(headline
	   (:raw-value "Headline" :title
		       ("Headline")
		       :begin 403 :end 531 :pre-blank 1 :hiddenp nil :contents-begin 415 :contents-end 530 :level 1 :priority nil :tags nil :todo-keyword nil :todo-type nil :scheduled nil :deadline nil :timestamp nil :clock nil :post-blank 1 :footnote-section-p nil :archivedp nil :commentedp nil :quotedp nil :category nil)
	   (section
	    (:begin 415 :end 530 :contents-begin 415 :contents-end 530 :post-blank 0)
	    (paragraph
	     (:begin 415 :end 449 :contents-begin 415 :contents-end 447 :post-blank 1)
	     "There is horizontal ruler below.")
	    (horizontal-rule
	     (:begin 449 :end 495 :post-blank 1 :header
		     ("some qualifiers")))
	    (paragraph
	     (:begin 495 :end 530 :contents-begin 495 :contents-end 529 :post-blank 0)
	     "There is a horizontal ruler above.")))
#+end_src

* Re: Hrules and Column/Page breaks
@ 2012-02-01 12:52 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-02-01 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Orgmode

> Is it possible to extend horizontal ruler to also stand for page *and*
> column breaks (say) by attaching a header to it.

This is already possible.

For example, in e-ascii back-end, the following will create a 10
characters long hline instead of full text-width (I should also probably
center it, but it's not the case actually):

#+attr_ascii: :width 8
-----

In your case, just put anything in #+attr_odt affiliated
keyword. Example:

#+attr_odt: some qualifiers
-----

Then, (org-element-get-property :attr_odt HRULE) will return:

                         '("some qualifiers").

Note that #+header in only Babel related at the moment. Also this really
back-end specific (hence the special keywords) since some back-ends have
no clue about a page or a column.

Nicolas Goaziou