* Emacs lisp code export difference between `org-export-region-as-html' and `org-export-as-html'
@ 2012-09-24  6:34 thorne
From: thorne @ 2012-09-24  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Can I use babel to generate html to be exported in a #+BEGIN_HTML
... section using `org-export-region-as-html'?  I ask because the
behaviour I am seeing is different depending on whether I use that
function or `org-export-as-html'.  The former function exports
the html code to show the html code, whereas the later exports
the html code directly as html.

To concretize that a bit, I have a pair of functions that look
like this (have I misunderstood they way the export is supposed
to work?) --

(defun embed-pdf-function (pdf-file)
  (concat "<iframe src=\"http://docs.google.com/gview?url=http://example.net/"
	  pdf-file
	  "&embedded=true\" style=\"width:25em; height:38em;\"
frameborder=\"0\"></iframe>\n"))

(defun embed-pdf (pdf-file)
  (interactive "MFile name: ")
  (insert (concat
	   "#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :exports results :results html\n"
	   "(embed-pdf-function \"" pdf-file "\")\n"
	   "#+END_SRC")))

When I call the first in an org buffer and give it "foo.pdf" as
an argument, it inserts something that looks like this:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :exports results :results html
(embed-pdf-function "foo.pdf")
#+END_SRC

When I use `org-export-as-html' in that buffer I end up with an
html file that includes this, which IS what I would want:

<iframe src="http://docs.google.com/gview?url=http://example.net/foo.pdf&embedded=true"
style="width:25em; height:38em;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

But, when I instead use `org-export-region-as-html' in a
program (because I am hoping to get the results as a string,
rather than in a buffer) using something like this --

(org-export-region-as-html (point-min) (point-max) t 'string)

-- the result I get in the html looks like this:

<pre class="example">
&lt;iframe src="http://docs.google.com/gview?url=http://example.net/foo.pdf&amp;embedded=true"
style="width:25em; height:38em;" frameborder="0"&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;
</pre>

Which of course is not the iframe I was hoping for, but is the
code to render the code for it in html.

Should the region export function work the way I am hoping at
all? -- can it be made to do so?

(
 I also have the following set globally, if it is relevant:

 (setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
 (setq org-export-babel-evaluate t)

 and --

 M-x org-version RET ==> "Org-mode version 7.8.11"
)