* Emacs lisp code export difference between `org-export-region-as-html' and `org-export-as-html'
@ 2012-09-24  6:34 thorne
From: thorne @ 2012-09-24  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Can I use babel to generate html to be exported in a #+BEGIN_HTML
... section using `org-export-region-as-html'?  I ask because the
behaviour I am seeing is different depending on whether I use that
function or `org-export-as-html'.  The former function exports
the html code to show the html code, whereas the later exports
the html code directly as html.

To concretize that a bit, I have a pair of functions that look
like this (have I misunderstood they way the export is supposed
to work?) --

(defun embed-pdf-function (pdf-file)
  (concat "<iframe src=\"http://docs.google.com/gview?url=http://example.net/"
	  pdf-file
	  "&embedded=true\" style=\"width:25em; height:38em;\"
frameborder=\"0\"></iframe>\n"))

(defun embed-pdf (pdf-file)
  (interactive "MFile name: ")
  (insert (concat
	   "#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :exports results :results html\n"
	   "(embed-pdf-function \"" pdf-file "\")\n"
	   "#+END_SRC")))

When I call the first in an org buffer and give it "foo.pdf" as
an argument, it inserts something that looks like this:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :exports results :results html
(embed-pdf-function "foo.pdf")
#+END_SRC

When I use `org-export-as-html' in that buffer I end up with an
html file that includes this, which IS what I would want:

<iframe src="http://docs.google.com/gview?url=http://example.net/foo.pdf&embedded=true"
style="width:25em; height:38em;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

But, when I instead use `org-export-region-as-html' in a
program (because I am hoping to get the results as a string,
rather than in a buffer) using something like this --

(org-export-region-as-html (point-min) (point-max) t 'string)

-- the result I get in the html looks like this:

<pre class="example">
&lt;iframe src="http://docs.google.com/gview?url=http://example.net/foo.pdf&amp;embedded=true"
style="width:25em; height:38em;" frameborder="0"&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;
</pre>

Which of course is not the iframe I was hoping for, but is the
code to render the code for it in html.

Should the region export function work the way I am hoping at
all? -- can it be made to do so?

(
 I also have the following set globally, if it is relevant:

 (setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
 (setq org-export-babel-evaluate t)

 and --

 M-x org-version RET ==> "Org-mode version 7.8.11"
)

* Re: Emacs lisp code export difference between `org-export-region-as-html' and `org-export-as-html'
@ 2012-09-24 21:53 ` thorne
From: thorne @ 2012-09-24 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Actually I think I have a simpler version of this question now.
I have this function:

     (defun render-one (file)
       (with-temp-buffer
	 (insert-file file)
	 (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t)))

With the last line being the important bit.

If I open a file, foo.org, that has the #+BEING_SRC bit that I
want to export, and put this line in the buffer and evaluate it:

     (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t)

then the result I get is correct -- the html that I want is
embedded in the resulting string.  But if instead I evaluate

     (render-one "~/foo.org")

using the function above which should (I assume) do the same
thing, it does not work.  Instead, the html code I want is
wrapped in <pre> tags and angle brackets changed to html
entities.

So, it seems that something about running the export function in
my code above makes it ignore my :results html setting in the
code block.  Is this a security thing?  Is there a variable that
I need to let-bind in my function or something?

Thanks for any help.

* Re: Emacs lisp code export difference between `org-export-region-as-html' and `org-export-as-html'
@ 2012-09-25  1:24   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-25  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thorne; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

thorne <ego111@gmail.com> writes:

>      (defun render-one (file)
>        (with-temp-buffer
> 	 (insert-file file)
> 	 (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t)))

Try

(defun render-one (file)
  (with-temp-buffer
    (insert-file file)
    (org-mode)
    (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t)))

(org-mode) is important here.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs lisp code export difference between `org-export-region-as-html' and `org-export-as-html'
@ 2012-09-25  6:05   ` thorne
From: thorne @ 2012-09-25  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM, thorne <ego111@gmail.com> wrote:
>      (defun render-one (file)
>        (with-temp-buffer
>          (insert-file file)
>          (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t)))

Well, I still don't know why it behaves the way I've described, but it
works the way I want if instead of the above function, I use:

(defun render-one (file)
  (save-excursion
    (let ((buffer (set-buffer (find-file file))))
      (setq rtn (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t))
      (kill-buffer buffer)
      rtn)))

-- using find-file and messing with the buffer stuff by hand, instead
of using `with-temp-buffer' and `insert-file', which later strikes me
as neater, and possibly faster (I am using it in batch to process
multiple files) but the other way works, so that's fine.  Thanks.

* Re: Emacs lisp code export difference between `org-export-region-as-html' and `org-export-as-html'
@ 2012-09-25  9:13     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-25  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thorne; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

thorne <ego111@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM, thorne <ego111@gmail.com> wrote:
>>      (defun render-one (file)
>>        (with-temp-buffer
>>          (insert-file file)
>>          (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t)))
>
> Well, I still don't know why it behaves the way I've described, but it
> works the way I want if instead of the above function, I use:
>
> (defun render-one (file)
>   (save-excursion
>     (let ((buffer (set-buffer (find-file file))))
>       (setq rtn (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t))
>       (kill-buffer buffer)
>       rtn)))
>
> -- using find-file and messing with the buffer stuff by hand, instead
> of using `with-temp-buffer' and `insert-file', which later strikes me
> as neater, and possibly faster (I am using it in batch to process
> multiple files) but the other way works, so that's fine.  Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, did it work for you the way I suggested?

find-file will load the appropriate mode, hence no need for (org-mode)
in your latest function.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs lisp code export difference between `org-export-region-as-html' and `org-export-as-html'
@ 2012-09-26  7:28       ` thorne
From: thorne @ 2012-09-26  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

In case anyone might be interested in this, here is what I think is a
minimal example.  As I said, I am fine with it for my purposes, but
since the behaviour seems inconsistent (from my possibly limited
perspective) I thought I ought to at least specify as clearly as
possible what is going on:

First, with emacs -Q, and with a file called ~/tmp/foo.org

It's contents are only this:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :exports results :results html
"<>"
#+END_SRC

Now, slightly reformatted for clarity, M-x ielm --

*** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
ELISP> (defun render-with-find-file (file)
                (save-excursion
                  (let ((buffer (set-buffer (find-file file))))
                    (setq rtn (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t))
                    (kill-buffer buffer)
                    rtn)))

==> render-with-find-file

ELISP> (defun render-with-temp-buffer (file)
                (with-temp-buffer
                  (insert-file file)
                  (org-mode)   ; doesn't actually seem to have any effect
                  (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t)))

==> render-with-temp-buffer

ELISP> (render-with-find-file "~/tmp/foo.org")

         (org-native-text t original-indentation 0 org-protected t
fontified nil)
         2 3
         (fontified nil)
         3 4
         (fontified nil))

ELISP> (render-with-temp-buffer "~/tmp/foo.org")

==> #("<pre class=\"example\">\n&lt;&gt;\n</pre>\n\n\n" 0 40
        (fontified nil))