* freemind export?
@ 2013-11-04  0:00 Christof Spitz
From: Christof Spitz @ 2013-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

seems the freemind export is no longer supported in org.mode. Though I
found the ox-freemind.el somewhere on the net, I am desperately looking for
a documentation. I want to position nodes on the left, for example, but I
don't know how to pass optional parameters to the converter.

Thanks
Christof

* Re: freemind export?
@ 2013-11-04  4:50 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-04  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christof Spitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Christof Spitz <christof.spitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> seems the freemind export is no longer supported in org.mode.

Not true.  The exporter is available over the new export framework.

> Though I found the ox-freemind.el somewhere on the net,

You are looking for Jesus in a mosque.  The right place would
org-plus-contrib elpa distribution or a git checkout.

> I am desperately looking for a documentation.

M-x find-library RET ox-freemind RET

Just look at English strings there.  That should give you a pretty good
idea of what you can do.

You can also search for the string - left or right - and you know that
the exporter already has some trick up it's sleeve.

> I want to position nodes on the left, for example, but I don't know
> how to pass optional parameters to the converter.

Unless you give an example, it is difficult for me to understand what
you want to achieve.  How does your Org file look like and what node you
want to position left.

> Thanks
> Christof

* Re: freemind export?
@ 2013-11-04  6:14   ` Christof Spitz
From: Christof Spitz @ 2013-11-04  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Jambunathan,

thanks for your quick reply.

> I am desperately looking for a documentation.
>
> M-x find-library RET ox-freemind RET
>
> Just look at English strings there.  That should give you a pretty good
> idea of what you can do.
>
> Yes, I looked at the file for hours to try to figure out how it works. I
am probably too stupid, sorry (not joking here).

The beginning of the file says:

>> See ox.el for more details on how this exporter works. <<

I did look, but didn't find any information there.

You can also search for the string - left or right - and you know that
> the exporter already has some trick up it's sleeve.

I searched, but didn't understand the "trick".

> > I want to position nodes on the left, for example, but I don't know
> > how to pass optional parameters to the converter.
>
> Unless you give an example, it is difficult for me to understand what
> you want to achieve.  How does your Org file look like and what node you
> want to position left.

Like this:

#+TITLE: SUBJEKT
#+AUTHOR: Christof

* Headline 1

** Sub 1.1
** Sub 1.2

* Headline 2

** Sub 2.1
** Sub 2.2

Branch "Headline 2" should be place to the left of the central SUBJECT in
Freemind.

I also don't understand how to access the other styles 0-5 that a
predefined.

Thanks again

Christof

* Re: freemind export?
@ 2013-11-04  6:38     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-04  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christof Spitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Christof Spitz <christof.spitz@gmail.com> writes:

> #+TITLE: SUBJEKT
> #+AUTHOR: Christof
>
> * Headline 1
>
> ** Sub 1.1
> ** Sub 1.2
>
> * Headline 2
>
> ** Sub 2.1
> ** Sub 2.2
>
> Branch "Headline 2" should be place to the left of the central SUBJECT
> in Freemind.

It is getting placed rightly.

Here is the screenshot of what I get (with no additional customizations
at my end).  I use freeplane, btw.

As for styles, you need to customize your styles in Freemind exporter
and move over the XML to ox-freemind.el.  If you have a specific
question wrt style, I can help.  But I need to be convinced that you are
using the right exporter i.e., no installation issues etc etc etc.

[-- Attachment #2: freemind.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 11206 bytes --]

* Re: freemind export?
@ 2013-11-04  8:46 Christof Spitz
From: Christof Spitz @ 2013-11-04  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Does freeplane do the placing or is it due to a POSITION switch in the
mm-file? Could you post the exported mm-file please for comparison,
please?

Thanks

@ 2013-11-04  9:09       ` Christof Spitz
From: Christof Spitz @ 2013-11-04  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

my installation of ox-freemind.el:

- put ox-freemind.el in list/org - directory
- (require 'cl) in init.el
- custom settings in initl.el:
 '(org-export-backends (quote (ascii beamer html icalendar latex freemind)))
 '(org-freemind-pretty-output t)
 '(org-freemind-style-map-function (quote
org-freemind-style-map--automatic))

run C-c C-e f f in org-buffer
open in freemind or freeplane current version (no difference, all branches
always placed to the right of main subject).

Christof

@ 2013-11-04 14:35 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-04 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christof Spitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

See the attachment.

You can search for right and left in the XML produced.  First headline
goes right, second headline goes left, third one goes right, so on and
so forth.

If you could locate the bug I am willing to circulate a fix.

[-- Attachment #2: freemind.mm --]
[-- Type: application/x-freemind, Size: 1707 bytes --]

Christof Spitz <christof.spitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Does freeplane do the placing or is it due to a POSITION switch in the
> mm-file? Could you post the exported mm-file please for comparison,
> please?
>
> Thanks

* Re: freemind export?
@ 2013-11-04 15:58   ` Christof Spitz
From: Christof Spitz @ 2013-11-04 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks

here is a part of your mm-xml-code:

<node COLOR="#00b439" ID="sec-1-1" POSITION="right" FOLDED="false">
<edge STYLE="bezier" WIDTH="thin"/>
<richcontent TYPE="NODE">
<head>
</head>
</richcontent>
</node>

and here is mine, containing no formatting attributes:

      <node>
<richcontent TYPE="NODE">
    <head>
    </head>
</richcontent>
      </node>

I was not able to change the setting of "org-freemind-style-map-function",
didn't understand the syntax. Seems you have another setting there that
makes use of your predefined styles.

1. could you send me the variable settings of the exporter in your .emacs?
2. could you send me / or point me to the latest version of ox-freemind.el
that you are using?

I am not a programmer, so I don't much about what is going on in the lisp
code.

Thanks for helping,
Christof

2013/11/4 Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>

> See the attachment.
>
> You can search for right and left in the XML produced.  First headline
> goes right, second headline goes left, third one goes right, so on and
> so forth.
>
> If you could locate the bug I am willing to circulate a fix.
>

> Christof Spitz <christof.spitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Does freeplane do the placing or is it due to a POSITION switch in the
> > mm-file? Could you post the exported mm-file please for comparison,
> > please?
> >
> > Thanks

* Re: freemind export?
@ 2013-11-05  1:35     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-05  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christof Spitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Christof Spitz <christof.spitz@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. could you send me the variable settings of the exporter in your .
> emacs?

No customization at my end.

emacs -Q -l ~/.emacs-minimal

kjambunathan@debian-6:~$ cat .emacs-minimal

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/org-mode/lisp/")
(require 'org-loaddefs)

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp/")
(require 'ox-freemind)

C-c C-e f f

> 2. could you send me / or point me to the latest version of
> ox-freemind.el that you are using?

I am using whatever that comes with Org-mode right now, with only change:
Do a add (require 'cl).

My version:
http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-kjn.git

http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-kjn.git/blob_plain/01db56d04ad8842da74c358ae6e27fe8147f6808:/contrib/lisp/ox-freemind.el

Org-mode version:

http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=blob_plain;f=contrib/lisp/ox-freemind.el;hb=HEAD

* Re: freemind export?
@ 2013-11-09  0:09       ` Christof Spitz
From: Christof Spitz @ 2013-11-09  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Deas Jambunathan,

I found the bug: Windows-Emacs was missing the libxml2 library. I got the
libxml2-2.7.8.-w32-bin.zip, copied the content of /bin into Emacs' /bin
directory and now the formatting works.

I think it would be nice to have the level 0 node (title) formatted as <p
style="text-align: center"> but that can probably done by using the style
system.

BTW: Freeplane messes the UTF-8 characters up when importing, that's why I
use freemind.

Thanks for your work,
Christof

2013/11/5 Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>

> Christof Spitz <christof.spitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > 1. could you send me the variable settings of the exporter in your .
> > emacs?
>
> No customization at my end.
>
> emacs -Q -l ~/.emacs-minimal

> kjambunathan@debian-6:~$ cat .emacs-minimal
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/org-mode/lisp/")
> (require 'org-loaddefs)
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp/")
> (require 'ox-freemind)

> C-c C-e f f
>
> > 2. could you send me / or point me to the latest version of
> > ox-freemind.el that you are using?
>
> I am using whatever that comes with Org-mode right now, with only change:
> Do a add (require 'cl).
>
> My version:
> http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-kjn.git
>

> http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-kjn.git/blob_plain/01db56d04ad8842da74c358ae6e27fe8147f6808:/contrib/lisp/ox-freemind.el
>

> Org-mode version:
>

> http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=blob_plain;f=contrib/lisp/ox-freemind.el;hb=HEAD

* bug#15840: libxml-parse-xml-region: Raise runtime error, don't return nil
@ 2013-11-09  3:59         ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-09  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christof Spitz; +Cc: 15840, emacs-orgmode

Christof

Christof Spitz <christof.spitz@gmail.com> writes:

> I found the bug: Windows-Emacs was missing the libxml2 library. I got
> the libxml2-2.7.8.-w32-bin.zip, copied the content of /bin into Emacs'
> /bin directory and now the formatting works.

This should have been very difficult to track down.

ox-freemind.el does invoke `libxml-parse-xml-region'.  I think Emacs
should raise a runtime error (and not return nil) if the above API is
called but libxml is unavailable.

ps: This bug is a good excuse to audit "other" such wrapper calls (if
there are any) and make sure that they don't fall silently.

* Re: libxml-parse-xml-region: Raise runtime error, don't return nil
@ 2013-11-09  7:44           ` Christof Spitz
From: Christof Spitz @ 2013-11-09  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Emacs did return a runtime error, it was simply my mistake not to have
noticed it in the Message buffer.

@ 2013-11-09 11:53             ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-09 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christof Spitz; +Cc: 15840, emacs-orgmode

Christof Spitz <christof.spitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Emacs did return a runtime error

This is what Emacs does.

From xml.c: 96
	  message1 ("libxml2 library not found");

and message1 (based on other uses elsewhere) seems to be used for
ordinary echo area messages (like prompt strings etc) as opposed to an
"error" message.

It is easy to check though.

I don't have access to a Windows machine.  It should really be an error
and not a simple informative message.  Try this:

1. Remove libxml
2. M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET
3. Export to freemind

Do you now get a backtrace buffer?