* How to log changes to orgmode files?
@ 2017-11-29 18:05 Mirko Vukovic
From: Mirko Vukovic @ 2017-11-29 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I am writing a report in org-mode (with pdf export).  The file is under git
version control.  I would like to log changes I make to the document.

When I invoke ChangeLog, it is pre-populated with the file name only.
There is no finer information about the location of the modification.  For
instance, I would like to use the tree heading name or ID.

Is there a standard way of logging changes?

Thanks,

Mirko

* Re: How to log changes to orgmode files?
@ 2017-11-29 19:01 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2017-11-29 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mirko Vukovic; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Mirko,

    > Hello, I am writing a report in org-mode (with pdf export). The
    > file is under git version control. I would like to log changes I
    > make to the document.

    > When I invoke ChangeLog, it is pre-populated with the file name
    > only. There is no finer information about the location of the
    > modification. For instance, I would like to use the tree heading
    > name or ID.

    > Is there a standard way of logging changes?

    > Thanks,

The LaTeX packages "gitinfo2" and "mVersion" might be what you want. Beware
that gitinfo2 sometimes conflicts with the options "usenames" and
"dvipsnames" for packages "color" and "xcolor".

Best wishes.

--
Colin Baxter
m43cap@yandex.com

* Re: How to log changes to orgmode files?
@ 2017-11-29 19:10 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2017-11-29 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mirko Vukovic, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Mirko Vukovic <mirko.vukovic@gmail.com> writes:

> When I invoke ChangeLog, it is pre-populated with the file name only.
> There is no finer information about the location of the modification.  For
> instance, I would like to use the tree heading name or ID.
>
> Is there a standard way of logging changes?

If I understand correctly what you want, I think you can get it by
setting add-log-current-defun-function.  For example,

   (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
             (lambda ()
               (setq-local add-log-current-defun-function
                           (lambda () (ignore-errors (org-get-heading t))))))

Untested, and you probably don't want to add an anonymous function to
org-mode-hook, but hopefully it helps.

--
Kyle