* switch off validate - how?
@ 2019-05-20  6:17 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2019-05-20  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

In exporting to html, how do I switch off the `validate' link at the
bottom of the html file? I can't seem to find any appropriate variable.

Colin Baxter
m43cap@yandex.com

* Re: switch off validate - how?
@ 2019-05-20 16:46 ` Nick Dokos
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Dokos @ 2019-05-20 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> In exporting to html, how do I switch off the `validate' link at the
> bottom of the html file? I can't seem to find any appropriate variable.

C-h v org-html-validation-link RET

Set it to "", but there are still validation remnants left in the HTML
file, which is probably a bug:

,----
`----

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: switch off validate - how?
@ 2019-05-20 16:58   ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-05-20 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> C-h v org-html-validation-link RET
>
> Set it to "", but there are still validation remnants left in the HTML
> file, which is probably a bug:
>
> ,----
> `----

Indeed, it would be nice if setting `org-html-validation-link' to "" or
nil didn’t insert the wrapping paragraph.  In the meantime, you can
customize C-h v org-html-postamble-format RET and get rid of the
validation paragraph entirely.

* Re: switch off validate - how?
@ 2019-05-20 18:48   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2019-05-20 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Nick,

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> In exporting to html, how do I switch off the `validate' link at
    >> the bottom of the html file? I can't seem to find any appropriate
    >> variable.
    >>

    > C-h v org-html-validation-link RET

    > Set it to "", but there are still validation remnants left in the
    > HTML file, which is probably a bug:

Great, that worked. I actually set it as a local variable since I want
the validation link on certain files but not all.

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter
m43cap@yandex.com

* Re: switch off validate - how?
@ 2019-05-20 19:09     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2019-05-20 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>> C-h v org-html-validation-link RET
>>
>> Set it to "", but there are still validation remnants left in the HTML
>> file, which is probably a bug:
>>
>> ,----
>> `----
>
> Indeed, it would be nice if setting `org-html-validation-link' to "" or
> nil didn’t insert the wrapping paragraph.  In the meantime, you can
> customize C-h v org-html-postamble-format RET and get rid of the
> validation paragraph entirely.

You can't [fn:1]  set `org-html-validation-link' to nil because the defcustom
specifies a string.

Redefining the postamble format  is indeed a good solution, probably the
best solution currently available. `org-html-validation-link' should probably
only be used to point to a different validation engine, not to get rid of
validation altogether.

* Footnotes

[fn:1] At least through `customize' or `set-variable' - `setq' will of course
       let you do anything you want.

--
Nick

* Re: switch off validate - how?
@ 2019-05-20 19:10     ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2019-05-20 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Amin,

    > Hello, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

    > [...]

    >> C-h v org-html-validation-link RET
    >>
    >> Set it to "", but there are still validation remnants left in the
    >> HTML file, which is probably a bug:
    >>
    >> ,---- | <div id="postamble" class="status"> | <p
    >> class="author">Author: Nick Dokos</p> | <p class="date">Created:
    >> this should disappear.  | </div> `----

    > Indeed, it would be nice if setting `org-html-validation-link' to
    > "" or nil didn’t insert the wrapping paragraph.  In the meantime,
    > you can customize C-h v org-html-postamble-format RET and get rid
    > of the validation paragraph entirely.

I've set the variable `org-html-validation-link' to "" as a local
variable on a per file basis. However, where I have customised a
multi-line variable is for `org-html-footnotes-section'. I removed the
default setting of a colon after `Footnotes'. This always struck me as
odd, a house-style too far almost, since other headings do not end with
a punctuation mark.

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes,

--
Colin Baxter
m43cap@yandex.com

* Re: switch off validate - how?
@ 2019-05-21  0:18       ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-05-21  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> You can't [fn:1]  set `org-html-validation-link' to nil because the defcustom
> specifies a string.
>
> Redefining the postamble format  is indeed a good solution, probably the
> best solution currently available. `org-html-validation-link' should probably
> only be used to point to a different validation engine, not to get rid of
> validation altogether.
>
> * Footnotes
>
> [fn:1] At least through `customize' or `set-variable' - `setq' will of course
>        let you do anything you want.

Thanks for point that out!  I think I agree with your described use-case
for `org-html-validation-link'.

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> Dear Amin,

[...]

> I've set the variable `org-html-validation-link' to "" as a local
> variable on a per file basis. However, where I have customised a
> multi-line variable is for `org-html-footnotes-section'. I removed the
> default setting of a colon after `Footnotes'. This always struck me as
> odd, a house-style too far almost, since other headings do not end with
> a punctuation mark.

Makes sense.  I too often find the colon after “Footnotes” inconsistent
and distracting.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Best wishes,

Cheers, Colin.

Best,
amin

* Re: switch off validate - how?
@ 2019-05-21  8:25   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-05-21  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> C-h v org-html-validation-link RET
>
> Set it to "", but there are still validation remnants left in the HTML
> file, which is probably a bug:
>
> ,----
> `----

Fixed. Thank you.