* tabbar or .... ?
@ 2020-04-07  9:49 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2020-04-07  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm converting a website (Romance University's site, where the original
site has closed and gone offline.), so I'm converting it to org-mode and
then building it with latex into a PDF file for my own interest. So far
I've converted 447 web-pages, into 843 pages of a PDF file.

But, I'm using 'tabbar' and I've had to break the file up into 3
separate org-mode files because otherwise the buffer I'm working on
drops out of tabbar into its own frame. (File 1 is 1.5mbs, 2 is 1.1mbs,
and 3 is 413kbs.)

I have 'vlf' acting in my setup, but how can I avoid the file dropping
out of tabbar please?

I would prefer to keep using tabbar so that I can then have the
bibliography file alongside the file I'm working on whilst I'm adding to
it.

Any advice please?

Thanks
  Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 10.2, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 27.0.90, org 9.3.6

* Re: tabbar or .... ?
@ 2020-04-07 12:11 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-04-07 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday,  7 Apr 2020 at 10:49, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> But, I'm using 'tabbar' and I've had to break the file up into 3
> separate org-mode files because otherwise the buffer I'm working on
> drops out of tabbar into its own frame. (File 1 is 1.5mbs, 2 is 1.1mbs,
> and 3 is 413kbs.)

Can you please explain this in more detail?  How does a buffer "drop out
of tabbar"?

Are you using the old tabbar.el implementation or the new tab-bar
implementation available since Emacs v27?

> I have 'vlf' acting in my setup, but how can I avoid the file dropping
> out of tabbar please?

Ah, maybe it is the fault of vlf.  Your files are not that large so do
you really need to use vlf?

In any case, I'm not sure this is an org issue (but that could be
because I've not understood your problem) so you may have better luck in
the emacs help group.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.6-438-g5b9698

* Re: tabbar or .... ?
@ 2020-04-07 14:18   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2020-04-07 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for replying Eric.

> On Tuesday,  7 Apr 2020 at 10:49, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> But, I'm using 'tabbar' and I've had to break the file up into 3
>> separate org-mode files because otherwise the buffer I'm working on
>> drops out of tabbar into its own frame. (File 1 is 1.5mbs, 2 is 1.1mbs,
>> and 3 is 413kbs.)
>
> Can you please explain this in more detail?  How does a buffer "drop out
> of tabbar"?

I can't explain it, but suddenly the buffer that I'm using loses its
separate tab in tabbar, as if its suddenly created a frame for itself.
It was most disturbing when it happened.

> Are you using the old tabbar.el implementation or the new tab-bar
> implementation available since Emacs v27?

I'm using tabbar from MELPA. I have tried Emacs-27 tab-mode but it
seemed to me that it wouldn't fit my case, where my tabbar groups all
org-mode buffers, and ditto my gnus mail buffers.

>> I have 'vlf' acting in my setup, but how can I avoid the file dropping
>> out of tabbar please?
>
> Ah, maybe it is the fault of vlf.  Your files are not that large so do
> you really need to use vlf?

I'm not convinced that I am actually using vlf. I'm configured to use
files up to 20mbs, and if necessary I could include a greater amount,
after all I do have 64gigs of ram available!

> In any case, I'm not sure this is an org issue (but that could be
> because I've not understood your problem) so you may have better luck in
> the emacs help group.

I think that I've found a way round the problem, where I use just one
file for my converted website to org-mode buffer, but I can toggle
tabbar off, so I only show the buffer that I'm working on, and when
necessary I'll call the bibliography to the right of buffer, and also
the glossary underneath my main buffer. And then when I need to I can
just toggle tabbar back on again, and it all works nicely again.