emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* [PATCH] bad table formula recorded in some cases
@ 2021-07-08 16:04 tbanelwebmin
  2021-07-21 10:50 ` Timothy
  2021-09-26  6:55 ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: tbanelwebmin @ 2021-07-08 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Small bug, small fix.

Suppose we have a table embedded in a begin-end block.

#+begin: aaa :param value
| a | b |
| a | b |
#+end:

Suppose we want to add a formula, with C-c =
We end up with an incorrect result:

#+begin: aaa :param value
| a | 33 |
| a |  b |
 :param value $2=33
#+end:

The fix: in org-table.el, line 2177, change
  (insert (or (match-string 2) "#+TBLFM:")))
to
  (insert "#+TBLFM:"))

Then we get the correct result:

#+begin: aaa :param value
| a | 33 |
| a |  b |
#+TBLFM: $2=33
#+end:
 
Why? Because (match-string 2) is supposed to refer to the (looking-at)
instruction 7 lines above. But (match-string 2) is in the else branch,
which means that (looking-at) failed. Therefore (match-string 2) returns
garbage.

Thanks to Uwe Brauer for pointing to this bug.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH] bad table formula recorded in some cases
  2021-07-08 16:04 [PATCH] bad table formula recorded in some cases tbanelwebmin
@ 2021-07-21 10:50 ` Timothy
  2021-07-21 14:25   ` tbanelwebmin
  2021-09-26  6:55 ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Timothy @ 2021-07-21 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tbanelwebmin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


Hi Thierry,

Thanks for this! Looking at the change you suggest, do you know why the
(match-string 2) bit might have been added in the first place? I'm just
wondering if there might be some edge-case adversely affected by this ---
hence trading one bug for another :P

--
Timothy

tbanelwebmin <tbanelwebmin@free.fr> writes:

> Small bug, small fix.
>
> Suppose we have a table embedded in a begin-end block.
>
> #+begin: aaa :param value
> | a | b |
> | a | b |
> #+end:
>
> Suppose we want to add a formula, with C-c =
> We end up with an incorrect result:
>
> #+begin: aaa :param value
> | a | 33 |
> | a |  b |
>  :param value $2=33
> #+end:
>
> The fix: in org-table.el, line 2177, change
>   (insert (or (match-string 2) "#+TBLFM:")))
> to
>   (insert "#+TBLFM:"))
>
> Then we get the correct result:
>
> #+begin: aaa :param value
> | a | 33 |
> | a |  b |
> #+TBLFM: $2=33
> #+end:
>
> Why? Because (match-string 2) is supposed to refer to the (looking-at)
> instruction 7 lines above. But (match-string 2) is in the else branch,
> which means that (looking-at) failed. Therefore (match-string 2) returns
> garbage.
>
> Thanks to Uwe Brauer for pointing to this bug.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH] bad table formula recorded in some cases
  2021-07-21 10:50 ` Timothy
@ 2021-07-21 14:25   ` tbanelwebmin
  2021-07-21 15:07     ` Timothy
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: tbanelwebmin @ 2021-07-21 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Timothy

I don't know the intention. But the answer may lie in the comment 4
lines above:
   ;; Don't overwrite TBLFM, we might use text properties to
   ;; store stuff.

In this case, the intention would be to keep the original "#+TBLFM:"
instead of inserting a fresh new one.

But we are in the else branch of (if (looking-at ...)), which means
there was no "#+TBLFM:". And no text properties to save. Therefore we
may safely remove this (match-string 2).

Thanks Timothy for taking this into account so carefully!
Best
Thierry


Le 21/07/2021 à 12:50, Timothy a écrit :
> Hi Thierry,
>
> Thanks for this! Looking at the change you suggest, do you know why the
> (match-string 2) bit might have been added in the first place? I'm just
> wondering if there might be some edge-case adversely affected by this ---
> hence trading one bug for another :P
>
> --
> Timothy
>
> tbanelwebmin <tbanelwebmin@free.fr> writes:
>
>> Small bug, small fix.
>>
>> Suppose we have a table embedded in a begin-end block.
>>
>> #+begin: aaa :param value
>> | a | b |
>> | a | b |
>> #+end:
>>
>> Suppose we want to add a formula, with C-c =
>> We end up with an incorrect result:
>>
>> #+begin: aaa :param value
>> | a | 33 |
>> | a |  b |
>>  :param value $2=33
>> #+end:
>>
>> The fix: in org-table.el, line 2177, change
>>   (insert (or (match-string 2) "#+TBLFM:")))
>> to
>>   (insert "#+TBLFM:"))
>>
>> Then we get the correct result:
>>
>> #+begin: aaa :param value
>> | a | 33 |
>> | a |  b |
>> #+TBLFM: $2=33
>> #+end:
>>
>> Why? Because (match-string 2) is supposed to refer to the (looking-at)
>> instruction 7 lines above. But (match-string 2) is in the else branch,
>> which means that (looking-at) failed. Therefore (match-string 2) returns
>> garbage.
>>
>> Thanks to Uwe Brauer for pointing to this bug.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH] bad table formula recorded in some cases
  2021-07-21 14:25   ` tbanelwebmin
@ 2021-07-21 15:07     ` Timothy
  2021-07-21 18:37       ` tbanelwebmin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Timothy @ 2021-07-21 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tbanelwebmin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


Hi Thierry,

tbanelwebmin <tbanelwebmin@free.fr> writes:
> I don't know the intention. But the answer may lie in the comment 4
> lines above:
>    ;; Don't overwrite TBLFM, we might use text properties to
>    ;; store stuff.
>
> In this case, the intention would be to keep the original "#+TBLFM:"
> instead of inserting a fresh new one.
>
> But we are in the else branch of (if (looking-at ...)), which means
> there was no "#+TBLFM:". And no text properties to save. Therefore we
> may safely remove this (match-string 2).

Thank you for looking into this, I'm reassured by your inference that
this change is safe to make. I'm not really one of the main
contribution-acceptors/pushers though, so I'd rather leave this for
someone like Nicolas to sign off on.

Would you mind bumping this thread in a few weeks if nothing happens?

Hope that's not too much of an inconvenience,

Timothy.

> Le 21/07/2021 à 12:50, Timothy a écrit :
>> Hi Thierry,
>>
>> Thanks for this! Looking at the change you suggest, do you know why the
>> (match-string 2) bit might have been added in the first place? I'm just
>> wondering if there might be some edge-case adversely affected by this ---
>> hence trading one bug for another :P
>>
>> --
>> Timothy
>>
>> tbanelwebmin <tbanelwebmin@free.fr> writes:
>>
>>> Small bug, small fix.
>>>
>>> Suppose we have a table embedded in a begin-end block.
>>>
>>> #+begin: aaa :param value
>>> | a | b |
>>> | a | b |
>>> #+end:
>>>
>>> Suppose we want to add a formula, with C-c =
>>> We end up with an incorrect result:
>>>
>>> #+begin: aaa :param value
>>> | a | 33 |
>>> | a |  b |
>>>  :param value $2=33
>>> #+end:
>>>
>>> The fix: in org-table.el, line 2177, change
>>>   (insert (or (match-string 2) "#+TBLFM:")))
>>> to
>>>   (insert "#+TBLFM:"))
>>>
>>> Then we get the correct result:
>>>
>>> #+begin: aaa :param value
>>> | a | 33 |
>>> | a |  b |
>>> #+TBLFM: $2=33
>>> #+end:
>>>
>>> Why? Because (match-string 2) is supposed to refer to the (looking-at)
>>> instruction 7 lines above. But (match-string 2) is in the else branch,
>>> which means that (looking-at) failed. Therefore (match-string 2) returns
>>> garbage.
>>>
>>> Thanks to Uwe Brauer for pointing to this bug.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH] bad table formula recorded in some cases
  2021-07-21 15:07     ` Timothy
@ 2021-07-21 18:37       ` tbanelwebmin
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: tbanelwebmin @ 2021-07-21 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ok, Timothy, fair enough

Le 21/07/2021 à 17:07, Timothy a écrit :
> Hi Thierry,
>
> tbanelwebmin <tbanelwebmin@free.fr> writes:
>> I don't know the intention. But the answer may lie in the comment 4
>> lines above:
>>    ;; Don't overwrite TBLFM, we might use text properties to
>>    ;; store stuff.
>>
>> In this case, the intention would be to keep the original "#+TBLFM:"
>> instead of inserting a fresh new one.
>>
>> But we are in the else branch of (if (looking-at ...)), which means
>> there was no "#+TBLFM:". And no text properties to save. Therefore we
>> may safely remove this (match-string 2).
> Thank you for looking into this, I'm reassured by your inference that
> this change is safe to make. I'm not really one of the main
> contribution-acceptors/pushers though, so I'd rather leave this for
> someone like Nicolas to sign off on.
>
> Would you mind bumping this thread in a few weeks if nothing happens?
>
> Hope that's not too much of an inconvenience,
>
> Timothy.
>
>> Le 21/07/2021 à 12:50, Timothy a écrit :
>>> Hi Thierry,
>>>
>>> Thanks for this! Looking at the change you suggest, do you know why the
>>> (match-string 2) bit might have been added in the first place? I'm just
>>> wondering if there might be some edge-case adversely affected by this ---
>>> hence trading one bug for another :P
>>>
>>> --
>>> Timothy
>>>
>>> tbanelwebmin <tbanelwebmin@free.fr> writes:
>>>
>>>> Small bug, small fix.
>>>>
>>>> Suppose we have a table embedded in a begin-end block.
>>>>
>>>> #+begin: aaa :param value
>>>> | a | b |
>>>> | a | b |
>>>> #+end:
>>>>
>>>> Suppose we want to add a formula, with C-c =
>>>> We end up with an incorrect result:
>>>>
>>>> #+begin: aaa :param value
>>>> | a | 33 |
>>>> | a |  b |
>>>>  :param value $2=33
>>>> #+end:
>>>>
>>>> The fix: in org-table.el, line 2177, change
>>>>   (insert (or (match-string 2) "#+TBLFM:")))
>>>> to
>>>>   (insert "#+TBLFM:"))
>>>>
>>>> Then we get the correct result:
>>>>
>>>> #+begin: aaa :param value
>>>> | a | 33 |
>>>> | a |  b |
>>>> #+TBLFM: $2=33
>>>> #+end:
>>>>
>>>> Why? Because (match-string 2) is supposed to refer to the (looking-at)
>>>> instruction 7 lines above. But (match-string 2) is in the else branch,
>>>> which means that (looking-at) failed. Therefore (match-string 2) returns
>>>> garbage.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks to Uwe Brauer for pointing to this bug.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH] bad table formula recorded in some cases
  2021-07-08 16:04 [PATCH] bad table formula recorded in some cases tbanelwebmin
  2021-07-21 10:50 ` Timothy
@ 2021-09-26  6:55 ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-09-26  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tbanelwebmin; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Thierry,

tbanelwebmin <tbanelwebmin@free.fr> writes:

> Thanks to Uwe Brauer for pointing to this bug.

... and thanks for the analysis and solution, fixed now.

PS: If you can share the solution as a patch, that's easier to track,
test and apply.  TIA!

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-09-26  6:57 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-07-08 16:04 [PATCH] bad table formula recorded in some cases tbanelwebmin
2021-07-21 10:50 ` Timothy
2021-07-21 14:25   ` tbanelwebmin
2021-07-21 15:07     ` Timothy
2021-07-21 18:37       ` tbanelwebmin
2021-09-26  6:55 ` Bastien

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).