emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* [BUG] org-element-cache bug: org-persist-read persists seemingly forever
@ 2021-12-24  1:26 Samuel Wales
  2021-12-24 11:46 ` Ihor Radchenko
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-12-24  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

this reproduces most or all of the time.  idk if it is ueful to
anybody, but i thought i would post it in case it is instantly
recognizable.

emacs 25.  latest 9.5 org main.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
  read(#<buffer  *temp*>)
  org-persist-read(org-element--cache #<buffer other--a.org>)
  org-mode()
  set-auto-mode-0(org-mode nil)
  set-auto-mode()
  normal-mode(t)
  after-find-file(nil t)
  find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer other--a.org> "org/other--a.org" nil
nil "org/other--a.org" (27263474 65025))
  find-file-noselect("org/other--a.org" nil nil nil)
  find-file("org/other--a.org")
  alpha-org-find-agenda-files()
  run-hooks(after-init-hook delayed-warnings-hook)
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()


On 12/23/21, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> more below.
>
> On 12/20/21, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for reporting!
>>
>> I just pushed the fix upstream.
>
> thank you.
>
> fyi, i am still trying to get main to work.  there is bug in most
> recent main where org element use cache being set to t makes loading
> infinite.  and another where c-x c-c is very slow but there aren't
> messages saying what it is doing.
>
> the cache bug reproduced a few times reliably and i finally figured
> out getting it to debug on quit to give you a bt but then it didn't
> reproduce, so idk if it is intermittent or my brain is not working.
> also, if i quit at the wrong time, cache tells me to hit quit more
> times because it captures that signal.  as i am limited in computer
> use upgrading org is going to take some time.  however, the only
> reason i want to try main is to run the fast batch archiving.  maybe
> bugfix would work for ordinary use.  have not tried it yet.
>
>> supporting latest Emacs - 2 versions [1]. Emacs 28 is going to be
>> released in a few months, bundling Org 9.5. If you can, please update
>> your Emacs to at least version 26.
>
> [thanks.  i dread this.  i have been dreading having to upgrade debian
> and idk when i will be able to but have to do it.  and getting a
> signed emacs and installing it might be more trouble than it seems at
> first as every sw [even org] seems to be.]  still trying.
>


-- 
The Kafka Pandemic

A blog about science, health, human rights, and misopathy:
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [BUG] org-element-cache bug: org-persist-read persists seemingly forever
  2021-12-24  1:26 [BUG] org-element-cache bug: org-persist-read persists seemingly forever Samuel Wales
@ 2021-12-24 11:46 ` Ihor Radchenko
  2021-12-24 23:06   ` Samuel Wales
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-12-24 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:

> this reproduces most or all of the time.  idk if it is ueful to
> anybody, but i thought i would post it in case it is instantly
> recognizable.
>
> emacs 25.  latest 9.5 org main.
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
>   read(#<buffer  *temp*>)
>   org-persist-read(org-element--cache #<buffer other--a.org>)

Thanks for reporting!
Apparently read is being very slow when reading cache for other--a.org
May I know what is the size of other--a.org?

Next time you see the slowness, could you look into
`org-persist-directory'/index file, find the other--a.org and look at
the value of :persist-file property in the same list? Then, can you
check that persist file size?

Best,
Ihor


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [BUG] org-element-cache bug: org-persist-read persists seemingly forever
  2021-12-24 11:46 ` Ihor Radchenko
@ 2021-12-24 23:06   ` Samuel Wales
  2021-12-25 15:43     ` Ihor Radchenko
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-12-24 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

20051 135025 938122 other--a.org

this is a smallish to middling file for me.  my largest is 4x larger.
i haven't gotten new org to work yet so i haven't revisited this yet.

On 12/24/21, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> this reproduces most or all of the time.  idk if it is ueful to
>> anybody, but i thought i would post it in case it is instantly
>> recognizable.
>>
>> emacs 25.  latest 9.5 org main.
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
>>   read(#<buffer  *temp*>)
>>   org-persist-read(org-element--cache #<buffer other--a.org>)
>
> Thanks for reporting!
> Apparently read is being very slow when reading cache for other--a.org
> May I know what is the size of other--a.org?
>
> Next time you see the slowness, could you look into
> `org-persist-directory'/index file, find the other--a.org and look at
> the value of :persist-file property in the same list? Then, can you
> check that persist file size?
>
> Best,
> Ihor
>


-- 
The Kafka Pandemic

A blog about science, health, human rights, and misopathy:
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [BUG] org-element-cache bug: org-persist-read persists seemingly forever
  2021-12-24 23:06   ` Samuel Wales
@ 2021-12-25 15:43     ` Ihor Radchenko
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-12-25 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:

> 20051 135025 938122 other--a.org
>
> this is a smallish to middling file for me.  my largest is 4x larger.
> i haven't gotten new org to work yet so i haven't revisited this yet.

This is odd. It only takes 2 sec to write caches for my largest 15Mb
file. Though I have SSD.

I just pushed a change to org-persist. Now, Org will show a message with
some info about read/write duration when the duration is >0.5 sec. If
you see messages from org-persist can you report them?

Best,
Ihor


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-12-25 15:42 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-12-24  1:26 [BUG] org-element-cache bug: org-persist-read persists seemingly forever Samuel Wales
2021-12-24 11:46 ` Ihor Radchenko
2021-12-24 23:06   ` Samuel Wales
2021-12-25 15:43     ` Ihor Radchenko

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).