* Toggling select-enable-clipboard & select-enable-primary prevents org-copy-visible to work
@ 2022-08-10  7:53 Alain.Cochard
From: Alain.Cochard @ 2022-08-10  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List; +Cc: Alain Cochard

Hello.

When my .emacs contains only the following:

(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(select-enable-clipboard nil)
 '(select-enable-primary t)
 )

then org-copy-visible does not work properly: when yanking, whether it
be with 'yank' or 'org-yank', the invisible parts are also yanked.

Is it normal?  After all, the emacs manual says:

      Prior to Emacs 24, the kill and yank commands used the primary
  selection (*note Primary Selection::), not the clipboard.  If you
  prefer this behavior, change ‘select-enable-clipboard’ to ‘nil’,
  ‘select-enable-primary’ to ‘t’, and ‘mouse-drag-copy-region’ to ‘t’.

Regards.

GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4) of 2021-08-07

Org mode version 9.5.4 (9.5.4-ge0b05b @ /home/cochard/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.5.4/)

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
ITE (Institut Terre & Environnement) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr

* Re: Toggling select-enable-clipboard & select-enable-primary prevents org-copy-visible to work
@ 2022-08-10  9:59 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-10  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alain.cochard; +Cc: Org Mode List

Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr writes:

> When my .emacs contains only the following:
>
> (custom-set-variables
>  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>  ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(select-enable-clipboard nil)
>  '(select-enable-primary t)
>  )
>
> then org-copy-visible does not work properly: when yanking, whether it
> be with 'yank' or 'org-yank', the invisible parts are also yanked.
>
> Is it normal?  After all, the emacs manual says:

This is not normal, and I can reproduce the issue.
However, it does not look like Org is doing anything wrong. We call
kill-new with the correct value containing only visible part of the
buffer.

I suggest you to file a bug report to Emacs itself using M-x report-emacs-bug
In the report, you can cite this email.

Below, I am also detailing steps to reproduce to help Emacs devs debug
the problem:

1. Create bug.el with the following contents:
----
(custom-set-variables
 '(select-enable-clipboard nil)
 '(select-enable-primary t))
(defun my/copy-const (beg end)
  (interactive "r")
  (setq deactivate-mark t)
  (kill-new "Constant string"))
----
2. Create bug.org with the following contents:
----
* headline
Hidden text inside
* another headline
----
3. emacs -Q -l /path/to/bug.el /path/to/bug.org
4. S-<TAB>
5. M-x my/copy-const
6. C-y

Expected: "Constant string" is inserted
Observed: Selected region is inserted.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Toggling select-enable-clipboard & select-enable-primary prevents org-copy-visible to work
@ 2022-08-13 14:46   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-13 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alain.cochard; +Cc: Org Mode List

> This is not normal, and I can reproduce the issue.
> However, it does not look like Org is doing anything wrong. We call
> kill-new with the correct value containing only visible part of the
> buffer.
>
> I suggest you to file a bug report to Emacs itself using M-x report-emacs-bug
> In the report, you can cite this email.

After the relevant fix on Emacs side, we can solve the issue on Org side
as long as Emacs 29 is being used.

Fixed on main via edf46425b.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=edf46425bb0f78ca5f571de2761e94ad7caf7aab