* problem with the on-line manual
@ 2022-10-08  8:58 Giuseppe Lipari
From: Giuseppe Lipari @ 2022-10-08  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

first, let me thank the community for the hard work that makes org-mode
such a wonderful experience for me and many others !

I would like to point out that the following link in the org-mode on-line
manual is broken :

  https://orgmode.org/manual/Images-in-LaTeX-export.html

can someone please fix/restore it ?

Also : in recent versions of org-mode (I have the 9.5.3), it seems that
exporting figures in latex/beamer does not apply the ":float t" flag, and
does not center the figure. Can you please tell me the exporter option that
I have to set to enable floating figures ?

Best,
Giuseppe Lipari

* Re: problem with the on-line manual
@ 2022-10-08 12:42 ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2022-10-08 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giuseppe Lipari, emacs-orgmode

On 08/10/2022 15:58, Giuseppe Lipari wrote:

> I would like to point out that the following link in the org-mode
> on-line manual is broken :
>
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Images-in-LaTeX-export.html
>
> can someone please fix/restore it ?

See the following thread:
Tim Landscheidt. Some links in online manual do not work. Sun, 02 Oct
2022 20:00:54 +0000.
https://list.orgmode.org/87r0zqknbd.fsf@vagabond.tim-landscheidt.de

> Also : in recent versions of org-mode (I have the 9.5.3), it seems that
> exporting figures in latex/beamer does not apply the ":float t" flag,
> and does not center the figure. Can you please tell me the exporter
> option that I have to set to enable floating figures ?

To get manual for your version you may try
M-: (info "(org) Images in LaTeX export")

For a while single-page variant of the manual is not affected by the problem
https://orgmode.org/org.html#Images-in-LaTeX-export

* Re: problem with the on-line manual
@ 2022-10-08 14:19   ` Giuseppe Lipari
From: Giuseppe Lipari @ 2022-10-08 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thank you very much, Max.

By further investigating the problem I had, I tried to export the
following snippet:

---
** Example
*** Temperature control                                          :B_example:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: example
    :END:

    Let us make a simple example of temperature control.

    #+attr_latex: :float t :width .5\textwidth
    [[file:room1-crop.pdf]]
---

When exported, this produces the following :

---
\begin{frame}[label={sec:orgb828ded}]{Example}
\begin{example}[Temperature control]
\footnotesize
Let us make a simple example of temperature control.

\begin{t}
\centering
\includegraphics[width=.5\textwidth]{room1-crop.pdf}
\end{t}
---
Which is of course not what I want. Notice the \begin{t} ... \end{t}.

If I remove the ":float t" option :

---
** Example

*** Temperature control                                           :B_example:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: example
    :END:

    #+begin_export latex
    \footnotesize
    #+end_export
    Let us make a simple example of temperature control.

    #+attr_latex: :width .5\textwidth
    [[file:room1-crop.pdf]]
---

The exporter produces

---
\begin{frame}[label={sec:org5a5b3f6}]{Example}
\begin{example}[Temperature control]
\footnotesize
Let us make a simple example of temperature control.

\begin{center}
\includegraphics[width=.5\textwidth]{room1-crop.pdf}
\end{center}
---

Which is certainly more correct.
There is no mention of this behavior in the manual, and in the past
the ":float t" option worked as expected. In facts, I have tens of
org-mode documents for my slides, all containing the ":float t"
option, and now they are all exported incorrectly.

Is this a bug, or has the syntax changed in a way that is not documented yet ?

Best,

Giuseppe Lipari

@ 2022-10-09  3:54     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-09  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giuseppe Lipari; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Giuseppe Lipari <giulipari@gmail.com> writes:

> By further investigating the problem I had, I tried to export the
> following snippet:
>
> ---
> ** Example
> *** Temperature control                                          :B_example:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :BEAMER_env: example
>     :END:
>
>     Let us make a simple example of temperature control.
>
>     #+attr_latex: :float t :width .5\textwidth
>     [[file:room1-crop.pdf]]
> ---
>
> When exported, this produces the following :
>
> ---
> \begin{frame}[label={sec:orgb828ded}]{Example}
> \begin{example}[Temperature control]
> \footnotesize
> Let us make a simple example of temperature control.
>
> \begin{t}
> \centering
> \includegraphics[width=.5\textwidth]{room1-crop.pdf}
> \end{t}
> ---
> Which is of course not what I want. Notice the \begin{t} ... \end{t}.
> Is this a bug, or has the syntax changed in a way that is not documented yet ?

Try the latest main branch from Git. (see
https://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html)

On main, the export yields

\begin{frame}[label={sec:org8efec4c}]{Example}
\begin{example}[Temperature control]
Let us make a simple example of temperature control.

\begin{figure}[htbp]
\centering
\includegraphics[width=.5\textwidth]{room1-crop.pdf}
\end{figure}
\end{example}
\end{frame}

which looks right to me.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: problem with the on-line manual
@ 2022-10-12  6:50 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-12  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giuseppe Lipari; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Giuseppe Lipari <giulipari@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to point out that the following link in the org-mode on-line
> manual is broken :
>
>   https://orgmode.org/manual/Images-in-LaTeX-export.html
>
> can someone please fix/restore it ?

Fixed. At least for now.
We are currently adjusting server rewrite rules.
See https://list.orgmode.org/ti5ifn$7g1$1@ciao.gmane.io/T/#t

Let us know if you notice any other broken links.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,