* How to align all tables at once?
@ 2022-11-03  8:19 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-11-03  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I am using Org mode for presentation and would like to use it's tables
for presentation only.

In particular I need the function org-table-align to align the table
in presentation mode.

The Org buffer is updated with results of the below embedded
functions. I can't use Org mode directly as many various expenses are
connected to together.

If it is possible to "jump backwards to Org table" and invoke
org-table-align, I could do that with subsequent function, is it?

This is what is being processed:

------------- snippet

⟦ (ignore (setq my-total 0)) ⟧
⟦ (ignore (defun my-add (n) (setq my-total (+ my-total n)) n)) ⟧

** Monthly Expenses

| Description                              | Value                |
|------------------------------------------+----------------------|
| Communications and Reporting Officer I/C | ⟦ (my-add 600000) ⟧  |
| Prospecting Staff member                 | ⟦ (my-add 450000) ⟧  |
| Prospecting Staff member                 | ⟦ (my-add 450000) ⟧  |
| Food for workers on project              | ⟦ (my-add 900000) ⟧  |
| Transport Expenses                       | ⟦ (my-add 1000000) ⟧ |
| Rental                                   | ⟦ (my-add 300000) ⟧  |
|------------------------------------------+----------------------|
| TOTAL                                    | ⟦ my-total ⟧         |

------------- snippet

This is what I get in presentation:

| Description                              | Value                |
|------------------------------------------+----------------------|
| Communications and Reporting Officer I/C | 600000  |
| Prospecting Staff member                 | 450000  |
| Prospecting Staff member                 | 450000  |
| Food for workers on project              | 900000  |
| Transport Expenses                       | 1000000 |
| Rental                                   | 300000  |
|------------------------------------------+----------------------|
| TOTAL                                    | 3700000         |

other solution could be to iterate over Org tables to align them.

Anything that exists currently?

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: How to align all tables at once?
@ 2022-11-04  4:50 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-04  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Org Mode

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> I am using Org mode for presentation and would like to use it's tables
> for presentation only.
>
> In particular I need the function org-table-align to align the table
> in presentation mode.

I am not sure if I understand your use-case, but you may consider
looking at 3.2 Column Width and Alignment section of the manual.

#+STARTUP: align
will align all the tables when opening an Org file.

Babel also auto-aligns tables in results.

Or you can call org-table-align manually.
Also, see org-table-map-tables.

> If it is possible to "jump backwards to Org table" and invoke
> org-table-align, I could do that with subsequent function, is it?

Indeed.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: How to align all tables at once?
@ 2022-11-04  5:49   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-11-04  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Org Mode

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> [2022-11-04 07:50]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > I am using Org mode for presentation and would like to use it's tables
> > for presentation only.
> >
> > In particular I need the function org-table-align to align the table
> > in presentation mode.
>
> I am not sure if I understand your use-case, but you may consider
> looking at 3.2 Column Width and Alignment section of the manual.

Yes, I look inside.

My use case is that Org buffer is used for presentation purpose, it is
not a file, it is generated buffer. This means tables cannot be
aligned before, but after, as the Org buffer does not exist before, it
exists only after rendering.

Then I look in the code by searching for variable
`org-startup-align-all-tables', and I find this within `define-derived-mode':

  (unless org-inhibit-startup
    (org-unmodified
     (when org-startup-with-beamer-mode (org-beamer-mode))
     (when (or org-startup-align-all-tables org-startup-shrink-all-tables)
       (org-table-map-tables
	(cond ((and org-startup-align-all-tables
		    org-startup-shrink-all-tables)
	       (lambda () (org-table-align) (org-table-shrink)))
	      (org-startup-align-all-tables #'org-table-align)
	      (t #'org-table-shrink))
	t))

And I think such larger definitions shall rather be split into smaller
useful functions.

For myself I have made this, which I need to additonally invoke via M-x then it works:

(defun rcd-org-table-align-all ()
  (interactive)
  (read-only-mode 0)
  (org-table-map-tables
   (lambda () (org-table-align) (org-table-shrink))
   t)
  (read-only-mode 1))

> #+STARTUP: align
> will align all the tables when opening an Org file.

And in this case I would like it on the end initialization, not
before. But problem is temporarily solved for Org mode by using M-x
rcd-org-table-align-all as my presentation buffer is in read only mode.

Org has nicer table in its source. Asciidoctor does not have, but then
Asciidoctor renders better PDF tables. So I am now using both
versions, Org and Asciidoctor.

⟦ (ignore (setq my-total 0)) ⟧
⟦ (ignore (defun my-add (n) (setq my-total (+ my-total n))
   (format "UGX %s" n))) ⟧

== Monthly Expenses

[cols="4,>1"]
|===
| Description                              | Value

| Communications and Reporting Officer I/C | ⟦ (my-add 600000) ⟧
| Prospecting Staff member                 | ⟦ (my-add 450000) ⟧
| Prospecting Staff member                 | ⟦ (my-add 450000) ⟧
| Food for workers on project              | ⟦ (my-add 900000) ⟧
| Transport Expenses                       | ⟦ (my-add 1000000) ⟧
| Rental                                   | ⟦ (my-add 300000) ⟧
| 500 Prospecting Checks with mapping 	   | ⟦ (my-add (pct-plus 5000000 .30)) ⟧
>| *TOTAL*:                                    | *⟦ (format "UGX %s" my-total) ⟧*
|===

> Babel also auto-aligns tables in results.

Would it be possible to put Org as Babel source, so that I have Org
table inside of Babel and cause Babel to render automatically on the
end of buffer rendering and invocation of org derived mode?

--

@ 2022-11-04  8:52     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-04  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Org Mode

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> Then I look in the code by searching for variable
> `org-startup-align-all-tables', and I find this within `define-derived-mode':
>
>   (unless org-inhibit-startup
>     (org-unmodified
>      (when org-startup-with-beamer-mode (org-beamer-mode))
>      (when (or org-startup-align-all-tables org-startup-shrink-all-tables)
>        (org-table-map-tables
> 	(cond ((and org-startup-align-all-tables
> 		    org-startup-shrink-all-tables)
> 	       (lambda () (org-table-align) (org-table-shrink)))
> 	      (org-startup-align-all-tables #'org-table-align)
> 	      (t #'org-table-shrink))
> 	t))
>
> And I think such larger definitions shall rather be split into smaller
> useful functions.

You are, indeed, right. Patches welcome :)

>> Babel also auto-aligns tables in results.
>
> Would it be possible to put Org as Babel source, so that I have Org
> table inside of Babel and cause Babel to render automatically on the
> end of buffer rendering and invocation of org derived mode?

Yes.

#+begin_src org :results replace
| this | is | table |
|    1 |  2 |     3 |
| laskjdlsakjdsaldjk |    |       |
#+end_src

#+RESULTS[9f13490e4a64c55f86c49e2839d6c1b34f234a9e]:
| this               | is | table |
| 1                  |  2 |     3 |
| laskjdlsakjdsaldjk |    |       |

--