On 2023-02-17, Bruno Barbier wrote: > Here is a way to reproduce that doesn't use org, in case it might help > to manully fix your encoding issue: > > (with-temp-buffer > (insert "Lechtenb\303\266rger") > (let ((buffer-file-name (make-temp-file "mailtest"))) > (save-buffer))) > > Does it work with your old config (with your old org) ? This also asks for an encoding. > What kind of failure do you get elsewhere if you let Emacs use the > correct encoding (i.e. if you use `insert-file-contents') ? I want to be sure to use the file contents in unchanged form, as promised by insert-file-contents-literally. For now, I copied part of the code from insert-file-contents-literally to avoid after-insert processing and file handlers. I still do not understand what is happening differently in my case, though... Best wishes Jens