* #+CATEGORY line being archived
@ 2007-03-18 14:21 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-03-18 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Carsten and list,

My org file structure is like the follow:

,----
| * Head1
|   * Done Task
|
| #+CATEGORY: CR
| #+ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* CR
|
| * CR
|   * anything
`----

I found that if I do 'C-c C-x C-s' on headline "Done Task", all text
up to the next headline "CR" is archived. This clearly is not the
right behavior. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I am running org-mode 4.68 on GNU Emacs 22.0.95.6 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
GTK+ Version 2.10.8) of 2007-03-18.

* Re: #+CATEGORY line being archived
@ 2007-03-18 16:09 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-03-18 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> I found that if I do 'C-c C-x C-s' on headline "Done Task", all text
> up to the next headline "CR" is archived. This clearly is not the
> right behavior. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I had this problem before and I'm now using #+ARCHIVE like this:

,----
| * Head1
|   * Done Task
|
| * CR
| #+CATEGORY: CR
| #+ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* CR
|   * anything
`----

Bastien

* Re: #+CATEGORY line being archived
@ 2007-03-18 16:44   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-03-18 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-03-18, Bastien said:

> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I found that if I do 'C-c C-x C-s' on headline "Done Task", all text
>> up to the next headline "CR" is archived. This clearly is not the
>> right behavior. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
>
> I had this problem before and I'm now using #+ARCHIVE like this:
>
> ,----
> | * Head1
> |   * Done Task
> |
> | * CR
> | #+CATEGORY: CR
> | #+ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* CR
> |   * anything
> `----
>
> Regards,

But the top level (e.g. * CR) will still be archived to the wrong
place, isn't it?

* Re: #+CATEGORY line being archived
@ 2007-03-18 20:00   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-18 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 18, 2007, at 17:09, Bastien wrote:

> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I found that if I do 'C-c C-x C-s' on headline "Done Task", all text
>> up to the next headline "CR" is archived. This clearly is not the
>> right behavior. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
>
> I had this problem before and I'm now using #+ARCHIVE like this:
>
> ,----
> | * Head1
> |   * Done Task
> |
> | * CR
> | #+CATEGORY: CR
> | #+ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* CR
> |   * anything
> `----

This is a fundamental problem, for which there are only work-arounds,
no solutions.  Because of the structure of an outline, there is no such
thing as a "location between sections".  So just like Bastien describes,
I also use work-arounds for this.  Two come to mind.

1. Bastiens proposal, i.e. placing the parameter lines after the
top-level
heading.  This works as long as the top-level heading itself is never
pointed to by an agenda entry (the category would be wrong) and as long
as
you neve atempt to archive the top-level heading itself.

2. If (1) is not good enough, the only way I see is to insert a
    "parameter section", like this:

,----
| * Head1
|   * Done Task
|
| * Params for the next file section
| #+CATEGORY: CR
| #+ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* CR
|
| * CR
|   * anything
`----

You could add an ARCHIVE tag to the parameter section, to keep it from
opening.

- Carsten

* Re: #+CATEGORY line being archived
@ 2007-03-18 20:16     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-03-18 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-03-18, Carsten Dominik said:

> On Mar 18, 2007, at 17:09, Bastien wrote:
>
>> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I found that if I do 'C-c C-x C-s' on headline "Done Task", all text
>>> up to the next headline "CR" is archived. This clearly is not the
>>> right behavior. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
>>
>> I had this problem before and I'm now using #+ARCHIVE like this:
>>
>> ,----
>> | * Head1
>> |   * Done Task
>> |
>> | * CR
>> | #+CATEGORY: CR
>> | #+ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* CR
>> |   * anything
>> `----
>>

> This is a fundamental problem, for which there are only work-arounds,
> no solutions.  Because of the structure of an outline, there is no such
> thing as a "location between sections".  So just like Bastien describes,
> I also use work-arounds for this.  Two come to mind.
>
> 1. Bastiens proposal, i.e. placing the parameter lines after the
> top-level
> heading.  This works as long as the top-level heading itself is never
> pointed to by an agenda entry (the category would be wrong) and as
> long as
> you neve atempt to archive the top-level heading itself.
>
> 2. If (1) is not good enough, the only way I see is to insert a
>    "parameter section", like this:
>

> ,----
> | * Head1
> |   * Done Task
> |
> | * Params for the next file section
> | #+CATEGORY: CR
> | #+ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* CR
> |
> | * CR
> |   * anything
> `----
>
> You could add an ARCHIVE tag to the parameter section, to keep it from
> opening.
>
> - Carsten

Thanks, Carsten. Bastien's seems simpler.

* Re: #+CATEGORY line being archived
@ 2007-03-18 23:42     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-03-18 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> 1. Bastiens proposal, i.e. placing the parameter lines after the
> top-level heading.  This works as long as the top-level heading itself
> is never pointed to by an agenda entry (the category would be wrong)
> and as long as you neve atempt to archive the top-level heading
> itself.

This is exactly what i do.  I have several projects and i list them
within a single file :

,----
| #+CATEGORY: main_categeory
| #+ARCHIVE:  main_archive::*
|
| * Project 1
| #+CATEGORY: project_1
| #+ARCHIVE:  project1_archive::*
|
| ** task 1
|
| * Project 2
| #+CATEGORY: project_2
| #+ARCHIVE:  project2_archive::*
|
| * Project 1
| #+CATEGORY: project_2
| #+ARCHIVE:  project2_archive::*
`----

Archiving "** task 1" puts it in `project1_archive', as expected.
Archiving "* Project 1" will put it in `main_archive'.

For me "* Project 1" is not part of the project1-related tasks -- not
more than the filename of my main org file is part of this file.  So the
headline "* Project 1" has not to be archived in `project1_archive', but
in `main_archive'.  Hence the normal behavior suits my use very well.

Bastien

* Re: #+CATEGORY line being archived
@ 2007-03-20 19:18 Jost Burkardt
From: Jost Burkardt @ 2007-03-20 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Mar 18, 2007, at 17:09, Bastien wrote:
>
>> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I found that if I do 'C-c C-x C-s' on headline "Done Task", all text
>>> up to the next headline "CR" is archived. This clearly is not the
>>> right behavior. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
>>
>> I had this problem before and I'm now using #+ARCHIVE like this:
>>
>> ,----
>> | * Head1
>> |   * Done Task
>> |
>> | * CR
>> | #+CATEGORY: CR
>> | #+ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* CR
>> |   * anything
>> `----
>>

> This is a fundamental problem, for which there are only work-arounds,
> no solutions.  Because of the structure of an outline, there is no such
> thing as a "location between sections".

One solution which comes to my mind is to bind
#+CATEGORY: CR
to the previous heading, just the way the task keyword SCHEDULE, etc. do.

One possible use case, where this would break the actual beheavious,
which comes to my mind is categorisation of a task list, eg.

* Tasks
#+CATEGORY: @WORK
** TODO Task 1
** TODO Task 2
#+CATEGORY: @HOME
** TODO Task 3

but maybe it would always be possible (and maybe more outliner like)
to categorize via additional Subheadings:

* Tasks
** @WORK
#+CATEGORY: @WORK
*** TODO Task 1
*** TODO Task 2
** @HOME
#+CATEGORY: @HOME
** TODO Task 3

No Idea, how easy such an behaviour could be implemented.

Jost

PS. I was reading this list via gmane for a while, this is my first
post, so let me say, how much I appreciate this fantastic emacs-mode,
which definitely did change my personal planning to the better !