* Notification of upcoming deadlines via email
@ 2008-12-01 14:25 Gary
From: Gary @ 2008-12-01 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I would say "long time reader, first time poster", but half of it
wouldn't be true ;)

I know from reading the manual that org-mode can "interact" with the
appointment notification facility in the emacs diary/calendar, so
maybe I am barking up the wrong tree by asking here, if so then then
please feel free to point me there. I couldn't see anything in the
archives, and haven't been able to find anything suitable with google
either.

What I would like to do is have emacs send me an email when a deadline
is approaching. Is that possible? I am *much* more likely to read an
email than remember to look at the calendar or whatever, and moreover
it sits in my mailbox until I really take some action to deal with it,
even if it is only to delete it.

If you respond, please do so to the list as I am subscribed.

--
TIA,
Gary

* Re: Notification of upcoming deadlines via email
@ 2008-12-06 19:32 ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2008-12-06 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Gary <emacs@garydjones.name> writes:

> What I would like to do is have emacs send me an email when a deadline
> is approaching. Is that possible? I am *much* more likely to read an
> email than remember to look at the calendar or whatever, and moreover
> it sits in my mailbox until I really take some action to deal with it,
> even if it is only to delete it.

You can check out this article
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/5271 for having reminders
show up as pop-ups.  Replace the “call-process” bit with your own shell
program or lisp fragment.

HTH,

Mark.