* org-babel, R, and org-babel-open-src-block-result
@ 2011-01-11 10:22 Leo Alekseyev
From: Leo Alekseyev @ 2011-01-11 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I recently started using org-babel with R, and so far I think it's
pretty great!  I'm still getting accustomed to org-babel workflow and
am playing with available options.  I have a couple of questions:

I noticed that C-c C-o (org-babel-open-src-block-result) always gives
me an empty *Org-Babel Results* buffer, even if there's output printed
to #+results section.  Is this a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?

On a similar note, is there an option for the #+ results session to be
completely suppressed?..  I can see situations where I might simply
want to send the code to the inferior process and examine the results
there using :results output :session, or perhaps I'm running the code
just for the side effects.  It would be nice if I could say e.g.
:results none.

Thanks and keep up the good work with org-babel!

--Leo

* Re: org-babel, R, and org-babel-open-src-block-result
@ 2011-01-11 14:55 ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2011-01-11 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Alekseyev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 01/11/2011 04:22 AM, Leo Alekseyev wrote:
> I recently started using org-babel with R, and so far I think it's
> pretty great!  I'm still getting accustomed to org-babel workflow and
> am playing with available options.  I have a couple of questions:
>
> I noticed that C-c C-o (org-babel-open-src-block-result) always gives
> me an empty *Org-Babel Results* buffer, even if there's output printed
> to #+results section.  Is this a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?
>
> On a similar note, is there an option for the #+ results session to be
> completely suppressed?..  I can see situations where I might simply
> want to send the code to the inferior process and examine the results
> there using :results output :session, or perhaps I'm running the code
> just for the side effects.  It would be nice if I could say e.g.
> :results none.

 From the manual:

The following results options indicate what happens with the results once they
are collected.

     * silent
The results will be echoed in the minibuffer but will not be inserted into the
Org-mode buffer. E.g., :results output silent.

* Re: org-babel, R, and org-babel-open-src-block-result
@ 2011-01-11 16:37 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-01-11 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Alekseyev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Leo Alekseyev <dnquark@gmail.com> writes:

> I recently started using org-babel with R, and so far I think it's
> pretty great!  I'm still getting accustomed to org-babel workflow and
> am playing with available options.  I have a couple of questions:
>
> I noticed that C-c C-o (org-babel-open-src-block-result) always gives
> me an empty *Org-Babel Results* buffer, even if there's output printed
> to #+results section.  Is this a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?

I have not noticed this myself, can you share an example?

> On a similar note, is there an option for the #+ results session to be
> completely suppressed?..  I can see situations where I might simply
> want to send the code to the inferior process and examine the results
> there using :results output :session, or perhaps I'm running the code
> just for the side effects.  It would be nice if I could say e.g.
> :results none.

Yes, for a complete list of the available header arguments and their
effects please see
http://orgmode.org/manual/Working-With-Source-Code.html

@ 2011-01-11 16:54   ` Leo Alekseyev
From: Leo Alekseyev @ 2011-01-11 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Erik Iverson <eriki <at> ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

> On 01/11/2011 04:22 AM, Leo Alekseyev wrote:
> > I recently started using org-babel with R, and so far I think it's
> > pretty great!  I'm still getting accustomed to org-babel workflow and
> > am playing with available options.  I have a couple of questions:
> >
> > I noticed that C-c C-o (org-babel-open-src-block-result) always gives
> > me an empty *Org-Babel Results* buffer, even if there's output printed
> > to #+results section.  Is this a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?
> >
> > On a similar note, is there an option for the #+ results session to be
> > completely suppressed?..  I can see situations where I might simply
> > want to send the code to the inferior process and examine the results
> > there using :results output :session, or perhaps I'm running the code
> > just for the side effects.  It would be nice if I could say e.g.
> > :results none.
>
>  From the manual:
>
> The following results options indicate what happens with the results once they
> are collected.
>
>      * silent
> The results will be echoed in the minibuffer but will not be inserted into the
> Org-mode buffer. E.g., :results output silent.

Thanks Erik.  It would be nice if section 14.9 of the Org manual could reference
14.8.2.  In general, it would be nice if the org HTML documents could support
the same outline folding cycling behavior that you see in Emacs buffers,
otherwise it's difficult to see the surrounding context.

I'd still like to know what (org-babel-open-src-block-result) is supposed to
do...  Haven't found that in the manual.

* Re: Re: org-babel, R, and org-babel-open-src-block-result
@ 2011-01-11 17:44     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-01-11 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Alekseyev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Leo Alekseyev <dnquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Erik Iverson <eriki <at> ccbr.umn.edu> writes:
>

>> On 01/11/2011 04:22 AM, Leo Alekseyev wrote:
>> > I recently started using org-babel with R, and so far I think it's
>> > pretty great!  I'm still getting accustomed to org-babel workflow and
>> > am playing with available options.  I have a couple of questions:
>> >
>> > I noticed that C-c C-o (org-babel-open-src-block-result) always gives
>> > me an empty *Org-Babel Results* buffer, even if there's output printed
>> > to #+results section.  Is this a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?
>> >
>> > On a similar note, is there an option for the #+ results session to be
>> > completely suppressed?..  I can see situations where I might simply
>> > want to send the code to the inferior process and examine the results
>> > there using :results output :session, or perhaps I'm running the code
>> > just for the side effects.  It would be nice if I could say e.g.
>> > :results none.
>>
>>  From the manual:
>>
>> The following results options indicate what happens with the results once they
>> are collected.
>>
>>      * silent
>> The results will be echoed in the minibuffer but will not be inserted into the
>> Org-mode buffer. E.g., :results output silent.
>
> Thanks Erik.  It would be nice if section 14.9 of the Org manual could
> reference 14.8.2.

I couldn't agree more, I've just pushed up this change to the manual.

> In general, it would be nice if the org HTML documents could support
> the same outline folding cycling behavior that you see in Emacs
> buffers, otherwise it's difficult to see the surrounding context.

I personally prefer to use the Emacs `info' interface, both because you
can easily text search through all parts of the manual, and for issues
of navigation and viewing a wider context.

> I'd still like to know what (org-babel-open-src-block-result) is
> supposed to do...  Haven't found that in the manual.

Hmm, apparently in some cases it does nothing currently due to a bug,
I've just fixed this buy, so please pull the latest Org-mode, and try
copying the following block and results into and Org-mode buffer and
calling C-c C-o from within the code block.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (mapcar #'list (reverse (org-babel-src-block-names)))
#+end_src

#+results:
| tangle-A                        |
| tangle-C                        |