* identation in enabled org-indent-mode and disabled OIM
@ 2011-03-02 11:49 Thomas Hisch
From: Thomas Hisch @ 2011-03-02 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Why is there a difference between the identation in orgmode with
enabled org-indent-mode and with disabled org-indent-mode ?

Take the following example:
disabled OIM, each "test" string is more indented than the
corresponding heading string:

* Head 1
  Test 0
** Subhead 1
   Test 1
*** Subsubhead 1
    Test 1a
** Subhead 2
   Test 2

On the other hand calling OIM on the previous file yields
 * Head 1
  Test 0
** Subhead 1
   Test 1
*** Subsubhead 1
    Test 1a
** Subhead 2
   Test 2
(please note that the formating is not correct here)
important to me is that the "test" strings are again indented relative
to the corrseponding heading

pressing tab on each "Test"-line reindents the lines (removes a few spaces).
disabling again indent mode now yields

* Head 1
Test 0
** Subhead 1
Test 1
*** Subsubhead 1
Test 1a
** Subhead 2
Test 2

WITH NO IDENTATION AT ALL!!

why is there no consistent identation between disable OIM and enabled
OIM, or is there a way to enable this consitent identation ??

(using latest git version of orgmode)

regards,
thomas

* Re: identation in enabled org-indent-mode and disabled OIM
@ 2011-03-02 12:17 ` Nicolas
From: Nicolas @ 2011-03-02 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Hisch; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Thomas Hisch <t.hisch@gmail.com> writes:

> why is there no consistent identation between disable OIM and enabled
> OIM, or is there a way to enable this consitent identation ??

You have to keep in mind that OIM fakes indentation, that is, you think
your line is indented, but in fact, it still lays at column 0. Thus,
most the spaces used to indent a line outside OIM aren't needed anymore
with OIM on.

Anyway, it isn't as bad as it sounds. When you stop OIM, you just have
to re-indent the whole buffer to get your spaces back (C-x h C-M-\ for
example).

Nicolas

* Re: identation in enabled org-indent-mode and disabled OIM
@ 2011-03-02 12:31   ` Thomas Hisch
From: Thomas Hisch @ 2011-03-02 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Hisch, Emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Nicolas

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Nicolas <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thomas Hisch <t.hisch@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> why is there no consistent identation between disable OIM and enabled
>> OIM, or is there a way to enable this consitent identation ??
>
> You have to keep in mind that OIM fakes indentation, that is, you think
> your line is indented, but in fact, it still lays at column 0. Thus,
> most the spaces used to indent a line outside OIM aren't needed anymore
> with OIM on.
>
> Anyway, it isn't as bad as it sounds. When you stop OIM, you just have
> to re-indent the whole buffer to get your spaces back (C-x h C-M-\ for
> example).

Thanks for the explanation. This makes things clearer.  However, when
i use lists (has nothing to do with OIM):

(enabled OIM)
* Head 1
Test 0
** Subhead 1
Test 1
*** Subsubhead 1
Test 1a
** Subhead 2
Test 2
- item 1
  lals2
  lsakdl3
  lkal3
item 2

(after disabling OIM)
* Head 1
Test 0
** Subhead 1
Test 1
*** Subsubhead 1
Test 1a
** Subhead 2
Test 2
- item 1
  lals2
  lsakdl3
  lkal3
item 2

After reindenting the whole buffer with
C-x h C-M-\  the list (item1) is not indented properly:

* Head 1
  Test 0
** Subhead 1
   Test 1
*** Subsubhead 1
    Test 1a
** Subhead 2
   Test 2
- item 1
  lals2
  lsakdl3
  lkal3
   item 2

 Is this a bug ?

Regards
Thomas

* Re: Re: identation in enabled org-indent-mode and disabled OIM
@ 2011-03-02 12:34   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-03-02 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas; +Cc: Thomas Hisch, Emacs-orgmode

On Mar 2, 2011, at 1:17 PM, Nicolas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thomas Hisch <t.hisch@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> why is there no consistent identation between disable OIM and enabled
>> OIM, or is there a way to enable this consitent identation ??
>
> You have to keep in mind that OIM fakes indentation, that is, you think
> your line is indented, but in fact, it still lays at column 0. Thus,
> most the spaces used to indent a line outside OIM aren't needed anymore
> with OIM on.
>
> Anyway, it isn't as bad as it sounds. When you stop OIM, you just have
> to re-indent the whole buffer to get your spaces back (C-x h C-M-\ for
> example).

Also, take a look at the variable org-adapt-indentation.  Org-indent-mode
changes the value of this variable when turned on, so this may be part of
the reason why you think the behavior is inconsistent.

Regards

- Carsten

* Re: identation in enabled org-indent-mode and disabled OIM
@ 2011-03-02 13:12     ` Nicolas
From: Nicolas @ 2011-03-02 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Hisch; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Thomas Hisch <t.hisch@gmail.com> writes:

> After reindenting the whole buffer with
> C-x h C-M-\  the list (item1) is not indented properly:
>
> * Head 1
>   Test 0
> ** Subhead 1
>    Test 1
> *** Subsubhead 1
>     Test 1a
> ** Subhead 2
>    Test 2
> - item 1
>   lals2
>   lsakdl3
>   lkal3
>    item 2

As you may have observed when pressing TAB at an item, lists are never
indented. Or more precisely, their indentation is independent from
current level of headline. This is because TAB is also used to cycle
visibility of the item at point. Well, it may do both actions, but I'm
not sure if it's worth implementing it.

Anyway, you can still move a whole list to the desired column using
M-S-right or M-S-left on the very first level of the list.

Nicolas