* Problem with make and autoloads
@ 2011-05-26 16:56 Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-05-26 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hello list,

Recently, autoloads ceased to work in my local org-mode installation.

My typical update routine is to:

1. Pull the most recent changes into my local org-mode repository,
   located at "~/org-mode".
2. Run "make clean && make".

My .emacs file contains the following lines:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/org-mode/lisp")
(require 'org-install)

Note: I have replicated the problem using an .emacs file containing
*only* those lines.

When I call an autoloaded function, such as org-capture, I receive the
following error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "lisp/org-capture")
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

The autoloads in org-install all have "lisp/" prepended to the file
name.

Here is an example:

(autoload 'org-capture "lisp/org-capture" "\

This causes problems since there is no "~/org-mode/lisp/lisp/org-capture.el".

In the past, the autoloads in org-install.el looked like this:

(autoload 'org-capture "org-capture" "\

Adding "~/org-mode" to the load path allows emacs to find the files
correctly, but this is a temporary workaround. (The manual instructs one
to add the lisp directory to the org path---not the top level of the
distribution directory.)

Any insights into why the autoloads are being generated this way? Is
anyone else experiencing the same issue? I have downloaded a new version
of the distribution to ensure that no local changes to the Makefile are
involved.

Note: I am using a recent version of bzr emacs, but the problem also
occurred when compiling org-mode with emacs 23.2.

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: Problem with make and autoloads
@ 2011-05-27 17:32 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-05-27 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> The autoloads in org-install all have "lisp/" prepended to the file
> name.

What is prefix and lispdir set to in the Makefile?

Achim.

* Re: Problem with make and autoloads
@ 2011-05-30  6:40 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-05-30  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> Recently, autoloads ceased to work in my local org-mode installation.
>
> My typical update routine is to:
>
> 1. Pull the most recent changes into my local org-mode repository,
>   located at "~/org-mode".
> 2. Run "make clean && make".
>
> My .emacs file contains the following lines:

> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/org-mode/lisp")
> (require 'org-install)

I see identical behaviour after I updated org today.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Problem with make and autoloads
@ 2011-06-02  0:46   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-06-02  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>
>> The autoloads in org-install all have "lisp/" prepended to the file
>> name.
>
> What is prefix and lispdir set to in the Makefile?

They are the default values (i.e., I have not changed anything).

# Where local software is found
prefix=/usr/local

# Where local lisp files go.
lispdir   = $(prefix)/share/emacs/site-lisp

Note: I do not run "make install". My normal routine is to run "make
clean && make".

Best,

@ 2011-06-02 20:49     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-06-02 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
> They are the default values (i.e., I have not changed anything).
[...]
> Note: I do not run "make install". My normal routine is to run "make
> clean && make".

Yes, I noted this, I was just poking around to see where the build
process might pick up that extra "lisp/" in org-install.  On another
note, where is that org-install located?  Could it be you have maybe two
of them and Emacs picks up the wrong one?  The end of the make should
look something like this (watch the linewraps:

emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -eval "(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name \"./lisp/\") (cons \"<<$lispdir>>\" load-path)))" --eval "(require 'autoload)" \
        --eval '(find-file "org-install.el")'  \
        --eval '(erase-buffer)' \
        --eval '(mapc (lambda (x) (generate-file-autoloads (symbol-name x))) (quote (lisp/org.el <<...>> lisp/ob-scheme.el)))' \
        --eval '(insert "\n(provide (quote org-install))\n")' \
        --eval '(save-buffer)'
Generating autoloads for lisp/org.el...
Saving file <<.>>/org-install.el...
Wrote <<.>>/org-install.el
mv org-install.el lisp
^^^maybe the file is not moved at all or can't be deleted?
emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -eval "(setq load-path (cons
(expand-file-name \"./lisp/\") (cons \"<<$lispdir>>\" load-path)))" -f batch-byte-compile lisp/org-install.el
Wrote <<...>>/lisp/org-install.elc

If this does not happen after you've removed both org-install.el and
org-install.elc and then do another make, then somethings is very wrong.
My guess is that you have a stray org-install.el in <<.>> (make clean
probably should remove it both here and in ./lisp, but doesn't).

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html