* adding a footnote munches newlines at the end of a section
@ 2012-02-02  6:21 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-02-02  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use `org-footnote-action' (C-c C-x f) to add a footnote, and don't
have any "org-footnote-section" set, so it adds them at the end of the
current subtree. This progressively eats up newlines, so that if I add
two footnotes in a row, it intrudes on the headline of the next section:

[fn:31] 字里的飞白

[fn:32] sdfdsfsdf

[fn:33] * Two

  They'd been going somewhere called Hailing[fn:4], a largish town,
  but Qin Shanyuan decided to stop here at the village of Zhaxia.

Obviously "* Two" is actually meant to be on its own line, forming a new
headline.

This appears to be a problem with
`org-footnote-goto-local-insertion-point', or with whatever function
comes afterwards to add the actual footnote label. I guess not enough
newlines are added. Is this reproducible elsewhere?

Thanks,
Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.9)
 of 2012-01-26 on pellet

* Re: adding a footnote munches newlines at the end of a section
@ 2012-02-02  6:49 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-02-02  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> This appears to be a problem with
> `org-footnote-goto-local-insertion-point', or with whatever function
> comes afterwards to add the actual footnote label. I guess not enough
> newlines are added. Is this reproducible elsewhere?

Your recipe leads to the same symptoms here.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: adding a footnote munches newlines at the end of a section
@ 2012-02-02  9:07 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-02-02  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I use `org-footnote-action' (C-c C-x f) to add a footnote, and don't
> have any "org-footnote-section" set, so it adds them at the end of the
> current subtree. This progressively eats up newlines, so that if I add
> two footnotes in a row, it intrudes on the headline of the next
> section.

I have pushed a fix for that problem, and another one related to the
absence of org-footnote-section (normalizing footnotes would put them
all in the same section).

Does it work for you?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: adding a footnote munches newlines at the end of a section
@ 2012-02-02 10:25   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-02-02 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Feb 02 2012, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,

>> I use `org-footnote-action' (C-c C-x f) to add a footnote, and don't
>> have any "org-footnote-section" set, so it adds them at the end of the
>> current subtree. This progressively eats up newlines, so that if I add
>> two footnotes in a row, it intrudes on the headline of the next
>> section.
>
> I have pushed a fix for that problem, and another one related to the
> absence of org-footnote-section (normalizing footnotes would put them
> all in the same section).
>
> Does it work for you?

Thanks for your attention, Nicolas, but I'm still seeing the same
behavior. I went pawing through the code to see if I could track down
the exact spot where it goes wrong, and can only come up with what is
now line 550 in "org-footnote.el". Shouldn't the call to `insert'
include a trailing newline?

Thanks again,
Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.9)
 of 2012-01-26 on pellet
Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.293.g36cc)

* Re: adding a footnote munches newlines at the end of a section
@ 2012-02-02 11:43     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-02-02 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Thanks for your attention, Nicolas, but I'm still seeing the same
> behavior. I went pawing through the code to see if I could track down
> the exact spot where it goes wrong, and can only come up with what is
> now line 550 in "org-footnote.el". Shouldn't the call to `insert'
> include a trailing newline?

Could you try reloading Org, or even Emacs and try again? I'm asking
that before I cannot reproduce the problem anymore since the patches.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: adding a footnote munches newlines at the end of a section
@ 2012-02-02 13:48       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-02-02 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Feb 02 2012, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

>> Thanks for your attention, Nicolas, but I'm still seeing the same
>> behavior. I went pawing through the code to see if I could track down
>> the exact spot where it goes wrong, and can only come up with what is
>> now line 550 in "org-footnote.el". Shouldn't the call to `insert'
>> include a trailing newline?
>
> Could you try reloading Org, or even Emacs and try again? I'm asking
> that before I cannot reproduce the problem anymore since the patches.

Nope, it's still doing it… I killed emacs, cleaned and re-make'd org,
and it's still behaving the same on restart. Sorry! I still don't see
where the additional newline would come from, if not at the end of
`org-footnote-create-definition' (though obviously just tacking an extra
newline on there would leave point in the wrong place). Anyway, maybe
someone else will test…

Thanks,
Eric

--

@ 2012-02-02 15:38         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-02-02 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Nope, it's still doing it… I killed emacs, cleaned and re-make'd org,
> and it's still behaving the same on restart. Sorry! I still don't see
> where the additional newline would come from, if not at the end of
> `org-footnote-create-definition' (though obviously just tacking an extra
> newline on there would leave point in the wrong place). Anyway, maybe
> someone else will test…

You're probably right about the location of the problem.  Though, I'd
like to understand what is wrong. Could you send me an ECM to help me
reproduce the problem?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: adding a footnote munches newlines at the end of a section
@ 2012-02-02 18:46           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-02-02 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:
> You're probably right about the location of the problem.  Though, I'd
> like to understand what is wrong. Could you send me an ECM to help me
> reproduce the problem?

This orgmode document:
* Stuff

Make org-footnote-section a local variable and set it nil.  Then add a
footnote with the cursor after this sentence.

* More stuff

This ist just to show how it gets encroached by the footnote markers.

Will look like that:
* Stuff

Make org-footnote-section a local variable and set it nil.  Then add a
footnote with the cursor after this sentence.[fn:1] [fn:2][fn:3]

[fn:1]

[fn:2] * More stuff

This ist just to show how it gets encroached by the footnote markers.

[fn:3]

The result is actually the same before and after your commit b032a6.

HTH,
Achim.

* Re: adding a footnote munches newlines at the end of a section
@ 2012-02-02 20:32             ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-02-02 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> The result is actually the same before and after your commit b032a6.

Yes. I had forgotten that my setup included a non-nil
`org-footnote-auto-adjust'. I couldn't see the bug. The good thing is
that I slayed two innocent bugs in the process.

I think this problem should be fixed. Blank lines handling is a bit
tricky with footnotes, but it should be better now.

Thanks for the ECM.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: adding a footnote munches newlines at the end of a section
@ 2012-02-02 20:45               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-02-02 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:
> I think this problem should be fixed. Blank lines handling is a bit
> tricky with footnotes, but it should be better now.

I confirm the fix.  Thank you.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: adding a footnote munches newlines at the end of a section
@ 2012-02-03  4:32                 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-02-03  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Feb 03 2012, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:
>> I think this problem should be fixed. Blank lines handling is a bit
>> tricky with footnotes, but it should be better now.
>
> I confirm the fix.  Thank you.

Me too, and likewise for the missing footnotes in ODT.

Thanks very much!

Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.9)
 of 2012-01-26 on pellet
Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.300.g9b820)