* Displaying or linking to definitions of terms?
@ 2012-02-18 17:53 jeremiah.dodds
From: jeremiah.dodds @ 2012-02-18 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've done a fair amount of reading (and-rereading) the manual, and
searching around, but my search skills are failing me and org-mode is
flexible enough that I figure that someone has either done this, or
there's something that makes it unnecessary that I don't know of.

I'd like to be able to write a definition of a term, and then be able to
jump to that definition, or see that definition in some way in buffers
where the term occurs. Preferably on a "file can specify a file with
term definitions" or a global scale, but even per-file period would be
awesome.

I imagine something like a block. In pseudo-org-code:

#+begin_definition :term elegant
pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance or manner; pleasingly
ingenious and simple.
#+end_definition

If there's a way for me to acheive the goal of "find the definition for
this term" in a "this is already idiomatic-org" type of way, I'd love to
hear it.

If anyone has done something similar, I'd love to hear about it.

If not, I'd love to implement it, and would be immensely grateful for
any high-level pointers to entry-points for implementation, whether
functions or code files or whatnot.

Thanks for your time, and for all the collective effort put into this
amazingly useful peice of software.