* Note about decimal mark for numbers
@ 2012-08-21 17:15 Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-08-21 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello,

In a recent commit, I've modified `org-table-number-regexp' so it can
recognize numbers with a comma as the decimal mark by default.

The variable is almost exclusively used for column alignment in tables,
so it should be a cosmetic change only. Though, do not hesitate to
report any suspicious behaviour in tables (when working with csv for
example).

Also, remember that `org-table-number-regexp' is customizable, so you
can undo this change locally.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Note about decimal mark for numbers
@ 2012-08-21 17:27 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-21 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
> In a recent commit, I've modified `org-table-number-regexp' so it can
> recognize numbers with a comma as the decimal mark by default.

This should really follow the definitions in the locale...

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Note about decimal mark for numbers
@ 2012-08-21 18:10   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-08-21 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>> In a recent commit, I've modified `org-table-number-regexp' so it can
>> recognize numbers with a comma as the decimal mark by default.
>
> This should really follow the definitions in the locale...

That was my first reaction to it as well.

But then Org is no office suite.  It's more of a SOHO suite.

@ 2012-08-21 22:32     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-21 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:
>
>> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>>> In a recent commit, I've modified `org-table-number-regexp' so it can
>>> recognize numbers with a comma as the decimal mark by default.
>>
>> This should really follow the definitions in the locale...
>
> That was my first reaction to it as well.

Remember the purpose of `org-table-number-regexp' is to help find the
right alignment in tables.  It is _not_ to find numbers when eval'ing
a formula.

So, having both a rigid definition of what is a number for formulas
and a flexible definition when it comes to formatting tables is fine.

2 cts,

--
 Bastien