* Speeding up the agenda search
@ 2012-10-20  5:29 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-10-20  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hello everyone,

My list of files in the agenda got to a considerable size. It still
searchable, but some types of search, such as PROPERTY, usually lock down
emacs and I'm forced to kill the process. Is there any way to speed it up?
Perhaps by compiling the elisp files to bytecode?

I'm on OSX Lion, emacs: GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS
apple-appkit-1038.36) of 2012-01-29 on bob.porkrind.org
orgmode: Org-mode version 7.9.1 (release_7.9.1-299-g08c5ea.dirty-git @
mixed installation! /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/
and /Users/fullofcaffeine/.emacs.d/vendor/org/lisp/)

Any hints appreciated,

- Marcelo.

* Re: Speeding up the agenda search
@ 2012-10-22 16:36 ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-10-22 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Anyone else with huge org "databases" out there? Any tips on improving
performance of the agenda search would be appreciated :)

@ 2012-10-22 17:33   ` François Allisson
From: François Allisson @ 2012-10-22 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa writes:

> Anyone else with huge org "databases" out there? Any tips on improving
> performance of the agenda search would be appreciated :)

Hi Marcello,

16 files and 3 MB: is that huge for you?

Note that only 13 (1.5 MB) are agenda files; the "big three others" (2
databases and 1 archive file; 1.5 MB) are added to the search via
org-agenda-search-extra-files.

As I never had to "kill" a search, that is probably not huge...

Best,

François.

* Re: Speeding up the agenda search
@ 2012-10-24 14:12 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-10-24 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> My list of files in the agenda got to a considerable size. It still
> searchable, but some types of search, such as PROPERTY, usually lock
> down emacs and I'm forced to kill the process. Is there any way to
> speed it up? Perhaps by compiling the elisp files to bytecode?

Speed of the agenda generation is a often a problem.

It's a delicate one because subjective and objective problems
are often closely entangled in this area (speed of your machine,
perceived acceptable speed for generating the agenda, complexity
of the query, size of your agenda files, etc.)

The only way we can make progress here is by rolling our sleeves
and performing tiny optimizations, one after another.

As a first step, you can try to make a diagnosis the problem by
instrumenting the agenda functions:

  M-x elp-instrument-package RET org-agenda RET

Then doing your agenda query then reporting results

  M-x elp-results RET

We'll get a rough idea of the time spent and be able to compare
it with the one on other machines.

 Bastien