* Wrong Type Error When Publishing Project
@ 2013-07-26 21:01 Brian Callies
From: Brian Callies @ 2013-07-26 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Good Day,

I'm sure I must be doing something obviously wrong, but I've had no
success at publishing a project I've just created. I've been working on
this error for some time, incidentally fixing other mistakes, but I'm
unable to get it working.  I get the same error on Arch Linux, as I do
on Win8. I'm using Org-mode 8.0.5.

I get the following error: Wrong type argument: stringp

My project config is below. Images-w and css-w export fine on their own,
but alpharednotes-w and AlphaRedWin both fail with the error above.

(setq org-publish-project-alist
       '(
     ("alpharednotes-w"
      :base-directory "C:/Users/bcallies/Dropbox/RPG/Alpha Red/org"
      :base-extension "org"
      :publishing-directory "C:/Users/bcallies/Dropbox/RPG/Alpha
Red/org/html/"
;     :recursive t
      :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
;     :headline-levels 5
;     :auto-preamble t
      )
     ("images-w"
      :base-directory "C:\\Users\\bcallies\\Dropbox\\RPG\\Alpha
Red\\org\\img"
      :base-extension "jpg\\|gif\\|png"
      :publishing-directory "C:\\Users\\bcallies\\Dropbox\\RPG\\Alpha
Red\\org\\html\\images\\"
      :publishing-function org-publish-attachment
      )
     ("css-w"
      :base-directory "C:\\Users\\bcallies\\Dropbox\\RPG\\Alpha
Red\\org\\css"
      :base-extension "css"
      :publishing-directory "C:\\Users\\bcallies\\Dropbox\\RPG\\Alpha
Red\\org\\html\\css\\"
      :publishing-function org-publish-attachment
      )
     ("AlphaRedWin" :components ("alpharednotes-w" "images-w" "css-w"))
))

Thank You,
Brian

* Re: Wrong Type Error When Publishing Project
@ 2013-07-27  1:33 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-07-27  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Brian Callies <brian@gibbous.org> writes:

> I'm sure I must be doing something obviously wrong, but I've had no
> success at publishing a project I've just created. I've been working
> on this error for some time, incidentally fixing other mistakes, but
> I'm unable to get it working.  I get the same error on Arch Linux, as
> I do on Win8. I'm using Org-mode 8.0.5.
>
> I get the following error: Wrong type argument: stringp
>
> My project config is below. Images-w and css-w export fine on their
> own, but alpharednotes-w and AlphaRedWin both fail with the error
> above.
>
> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>       '(
>     ("alpharednotes-w"
>      :base-directory "C:/Users/bcallies/Dropbox/RPG/Alpha Red/org"
>      :base-extension "org"
>      :publishing-directory "C:/Users/bcallies/Dropbox/RPG/Alpha
> Red/org/html/"
> ;     :recursive t
>      :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html

This was valid for org 7.x, but for org 8.x you have to say

      :publishing-function org-html-publish-to-html

--
Nick

* Re: Wrong Type Error When Publishing Project
@ 2013-07-27  6:21   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-07-27  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Brian Callies <brian@gibbous.org> writes:
>
>> I'm sure I must be doing something obviously wrong, but I've had no
>> success at publishing a project I've just created. I've been working
>> on this error for some time, incidentally fixing other mistakes, but
>> I'm unable to get it working.  I get the same error on Arch Linux, as
>> I do on Win8. I'm using Org-mode 8.0.5.
>>
>> I get the following error: Wrong type argument: stringp
>>
>> My project config is below. Images-w and css-w export fine on their
>> own, but alpharednotes-w and AlphaRedWin both fail with the error
>> above.
>>
>> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>>       '(
>>     ("alpharednotes-w"
>>      :base-directory "C:/Users/bcallies/Dropbox/RPG/Alpha Red/org"
>>      :base-extension "org"
>>      :publishing-directory "C:/Users/bcallies/Dropbox/RPG/Alpha
>> Red/org/html/"
>> ;     :recursive t
>>      :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
>
> This was valid for org 7.x, but for org 8.x you have to say
>
>       :publishing-function org-html-publish-to-html

BTW, you should check your installation: presumably you are not getting
on error when calling org-publish-org-to-html, which means that it is
somehow defined - but it should not be if you are running 8.x. You might
be getting the orgmode bundled with emacs: if that's true, that's a
state of affairs that is bound to be confusing.

--
Nick

* Re: Wrong Type Error When Publishing Project
@ 2013-07-27 13:58   ` Brian Callies
From: Brian Callies @ 2013-07-27 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thank you. I thought it was probably something like this.

Is there updated documentation yet for 8.x?

The Worg link below is one site I based my attempt on:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.html

-Brian

@ 2013-07-27 14:20     ` Brian Callies
From: Brian Callies @ 2013-07-27 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 07/27/2013 01:21 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> This was valid for org 7.x, but for org 8.x you have to say
>>
>>        :publishing-function org-html-publish-to-html
>>
> BTW, you should check your installation: presumably you are not getting
> on error when calling org-publish-org-to-html, which means that it is
> somehow defined - but it should not be if you are running 8.x. You might
> be getting the orgmode bundled with emacs: if that's true, that's a
> state of affairs that is bound to be confusing.

I was concerned about his too. But, when I do M-x org-version, it does
say 8.0.5 which is the version I downloaded manually and installed. For
some reason I could never get the ELPA version to load.

* Re: Wrong Type Error When Publishing Project
@ 2013-07-28 15:47     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-07-28 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Brian Callies <brian@gibbous.org> writes:

> Thank you. I thought it was probably something like this.
>
> Is there updated documentation yet for 8.x?
>
> The Worg link below is one site I based my attempt on:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.html

The manual is updated, but it does not mention specific publishing
functions IIRC. The rule is that publishing functions are no longer
considered part of the publishing engine: instead, they are part of
the backend. So if you want to publish to HTML, you should be looking
for a publishing function whose name begins with "org-html-publish-...",
not "org-publish-...".

See

    http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html

for a list of such changes (not just in publishing).
--
Nick

* Re: Wrong Type Error When Publishing Project
@ 2013-07-30 10:56       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-07-30 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> The manual is updated, but it does not mention specific publishing
> functions IIRC.

Core publishing functions are here in the manual:

  http://orgmode.org/org.html#Publishing-action

At least

  org-html-publish-to-html
  org-latex-publish-to-pdf
  org-org-publish-to-org

But yes, we could not document all of them on the manual,
people have to check their export libraries.

2 cts,

--
 Bastien