* inline images outside org
@ 2014-06-05  6:54 Christoph Held GMX
From: Christoph Held GMX @ 2014-06-05  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi
I have recently switched from Aquamacs to railwaycat’s Emacs (https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port) and noticed two things. First, inline images in org display really well and the erratic and jerky scrolling issues are completely gone, making inline images much more usable now. I don’t want to say anything bad about Aquamacs, which I enjoyed using but I don’t miss the more Mac-like alternative keystrokes much less than I thought I would. Perhaps it was about time to take the Emacs training wheels off. It is probably old news but railwaycat’s Emacs is really nice.

But secondly I noticed that Emacs displays inline images even outside org, e.g. the splash screen contains an image that doubles as a link to www.gnu.org when clicked.
How do I check the syntax of the underlying link of which I currently only see the pretty face? So far I have used Emacs really only to run org mode. This is probably where it shows that without the training wheels it is still a bumpy ride for me.

Christoph

* Re: inline images outside org
@ 2014-06-05 10:00 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-06-05 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christoph Held GMX <christoph-13@gmx.net> writes:

> How do I check the syntax of the underlying link of which I currently
> only see the pretty face? So far I have used Emacs really only to run
> org mode. This is probably where it shows that without the training
> wheels it is still a bumpy ride for me.

you could e.g. either set the buffer in text mode

,---------------------
| M-x fundamental-mode
`---------------------

or do

,--------
| C-c C-l
`--------

on the link again to see/find-out-about its real content.

But

,----------------------------
| M-x org-toggle-link-display
`----------------------------

does exactly what you want ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: inline images outside org
@ 2014-06-05 11:00   ` Christoph
From: Christoph @ 2014-06-05 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Christoph Held GMX <christoph-13 <at> gmx.net> writes:
>
> > How do I check the syntax of the underlying link of which I currently
> > only see the pretty face? So far I have used Emacs really only to run
> > org mode. This is probably where it shows that without the training
> > wheels it is still a bumpy ride for me.
>
> you could e.g. either set the buffer in text mode
>
> ,---------------------
> | M-x fundamental-mode
> `---------------------
>
> or do
>
> ,--------
> | C-c C-l
> `--------
>
> on the link again to see/find-out-about its real content.
>
> But
>
> ,----------------------------
> | M-x org-toggle-link-display
> `----------------------------
>
> does exactly what you want ...

Perhaps you missed that I was asking for checking the underlying syntax
of inline images *outside* org mode. If you just install railwaycat's Emacs,
the buffer that greets you first has an inline image, in fundamental mode.
Your solutions all work well inside org mode but not outside, which was
 the subject of my question.

Any ideas?

@ 2014-06-05 11:12     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-06-05 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christoph <christoph-13@gmx.net> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Christoph Held GMX <christoph-13 <at> gmx.net> writes:
>>
>> > How do I check the syntax of the underlying link of which I currently
>> > only see the pretty face? So far I have used Emacs really only to run
>> > org mode. This is probably where it shows that without the training
>> > wheels it is still a bumpy ride for me.
>>
>> you could e.g. either set the buffer in text mode
>>
>> ,---------------------
>> | M-x fundamental-mode
>> `---------------------
>>
>> or do
>>
>> ,--------
>> | C-c C-l
>> `--------
>>
>> on the link again to see/find-out-about its real content.
>>
>> But
>>
>> ,----------------------------
>> | M-x org-toggle-link-display
>> `----------------------------
>>
>> does exactly what you want ...
>>
> Perhaps you missed that I was asking for checking the underlying syntax
> of inline images *outside* org mode. If you just install railwaycat's
> Emacs,

Yes, I missed that ...

> the buffer that greets you first has an inline image, in fundamental mode.
> Your solutions all work well inside org mode but not outside, which was
>  the subject of my question.
>
> Any ideas?

not really.

Maybe

,----------------------------------------------------------------
`----------------------------------------------------------------

?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: inline images outside org
@ 2014-06-13 10:48 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-06-13 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Held GMX; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christoph,

Christoph Held GMX <christoph-13@gmx.net> writes:

> How do I check the syntax of the underlying link of which I currently
> only see the pretty face?

C-h v fancy-startup-text RET

but you really don't want to read this, all those links in the startup
screen are simply hardcoded.

--
 Bastien